Pipe Terminology - Lesson 2

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I have come across the following abbreviation - DGT - hundreds of times since I picked up a pipe in the late nineties. I have NEVER seen the actual meaning of each of these letters. NEVER. Through my accumulated sightings, I've come to assume it refers in some way to lighting up a pipe that has some tobacco in it that was allowed to "die out" previously. Actually, to be more precise in my fogginess, it is perhaps a reference to the PROPERTIES of a certain tobacco that has been left in a pipe after being smoked for an indeterminate time, allowed to burn out, and then re-lit at some point later on.

Am I on the right beam here or way off track? At any rate, could someone please FINALLY tell me what the letters DGT stand for in and of themselves and then the meaning?

I would be very grateful.

s13

DGT = Delayed Gratification Technique.

Yes, some tobaccos or at least some smokers seem to do well lighting a bowl just a bit, then leaving it for hours or days, then returning to smoke it. I figure if you want dry tobacco... dry your tobacco before you load. So it's not something I partake of on purpose. Your mileage may vary. See Dealer for details.

Perhaps worth also considering that a relight several hours later may lead to less favourable results.

That said, I've never intentionally pursued DGT but have relit out of necessity; each time has led to a different (and positive) taste experience.

THANK YOU Sasquatch for clearing that one up! Just one of those things that gnaws at you....what the devil does that STAND for?

I must say, I can't see myself ever bothering to test a tobacco's Delayed Gratification. Indeed, if it NEEDS to be dried out a bit, then do so BEFORE loading into the pipe, then smoke it all to the bottom for the full satisfaction a pipefull of the stuff can offer.

Well, that's my view on the subject, and I'm sticking to it!

DGT is not about drying out tobacco at all :evil:

I often prepare a pipe at night for smoking the next morning.

I take a CLEAN, rested pipe and fill it with my favourite tobacco. Irish Oak works very nicely for this purpose.

I light the pipe, making sure that the tobacco burns evenly. Usually, when it starts raising up, it's ready.

I then put the pipe down without tamping and leave it until the morning.

What happens, I believe, is that the heat applied to the tobacco, works like "fast aging" the tobacco.

Works for me :D