pipe/tobacco combo's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankluke

Reaction score
do certain blends smoke better in a different pipe shapes? also what smokes well in a churchwarden and meerschuam pipes.

Hi Nick,

I have only a year of daily smoking under my belt...so I am NOT a vet....

But having said that, I find that Va,s and Vapers that tend to bite a bit more or are less forgiving are cooler and drier in my churchwardens.

i find that Meers can be overpowering if the blend is strong to begin with, but are nice and mellow, without the edge if it is a s medium bodied blend. I find many straight Va's are sublime in my Meer. No doubt most here can offer more/better insight.

David

Frank,

I am no expert but I do find that some blends smoke better in some pipes than they do others. I have been smoking a lot of burley blends the last few years and I find that they smoke better in medium to large pipes. Some VA blends smoke good in large pipes and some in small pipes. It seems to me that the flakes if not completely rubbed out smoke better in a smaller pipe. As for the Meerschaums I have heard that the guys that smoke them a lot tend to smoke aromatics in them as they color the Meerschaum better. I always thought that heavy English blends smoked better in large pipes with a looser pack. I am sure there are others with more expertise advice that will weigh in on this.

See what I mean.... :D

As usual, Mark, you make my head spin with your info. Nicely done and great stuff for me to re-read...

....and re-read.

Davey The Learner

ps Thank you Mark...confirmation 100%

I normally tend to smoke milder blends in larger bowled pipes. Stronger stuff in the smaller ones. But I do have pipes that really prefer Latakia. Others sing with Virginia's. Those are things you discover over time.

All my briar, clay, and meer pipes like and/or love latakia! They have no choice! I can smoke non-Latweed blends (noooooo arrowmatiques!!) in all of them with no problem. Bowl size evidently means nothing to me; I smoke all my blends in all my pipes. On the rare occasion that I smoke an aromatic 'baccy; I have a small assortment of cherry, maple, and corncob pipes for that purpose. Worked good for 'bout 45 years; don't plan to change now!!!! FTRPLT