Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrumsAndBeer":zf4l2vrf said:
Most thoughtful post, Ian. I tend to agree with your sentiments. I have to admit though, I will definitely miss GLP Meridian, Union Square & Embarcadero. Serious mainstays in my rotations there.

I won't "miss" Union Square & Embarcadero.
I will simply stock more than I can ever smoke. :twisted:

Hermit":a0pmal4s said:
DrumsAndBeer":a0pmal4s said:
Most thoughtful post, Ian. I tend to agree with your sentiments. I have to admit though, I will definitely miss GLP Meridian, Union Square & Embarcadero. Serious mainstays in my rotations there.

I won't "miss" Union Square & Embarcadero.
I will simply stock more than I can ever smoke.  :twisted:                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Nice. So what's the timeline on this? Should I be putting together my ultimate tobacco haul???                                                                                                             

Old Nate":7ezswqah said:

Nice. So what's the timeline on this? Should I be putting together my ultimate tobacco haul???                                                                                                             
Pretty much. Additional rules were supposed to come out a few days ago but it's the government so obviously timeliness the government's strong suit. Basically the crap starts to hit the fan in less than 90 in current state when no new blends are allow to be introduced at all. Everything released after 2/15/2007 will require approval within two years or be removed from the shelves.

I am wondering if some blends, like Old Dark Fired & union Square are profitable enough for Mac Baren and C&D to pay whatever the FDA wants for approval. Sure enough, less popular blends will most likely be discontinued.

Eric Furgeson":39z34v8y said:
The sky might not be falling yet but let me ask if anyone has thought of what this could do to B&M sales of ALL bulk tobacco? With the common practice of shops giving there own names to other blends how will they be able to prove what the actual "mother" blend is? Or when they first blended it. I was speaking with a local tobacco sales rep. He is the one who brought this to my attention. I can't help but agree that this may lead to a decline in the availibility of bulk blends over all. I can also see the price of tins and pouches going through the roof before long.
I talked with Christian and Waymond at Just For Him today regarding their view, and both agreed that "all those jars behind the counter and their blending bulks, open box stuff, and sample tins will make room for more tins and pipes." They do make some of their own blends with bulk blends sourced from other manufacturers, and they plan on having to discontinue that offering as well. It seems that they would have to get licensed as tobacco manufacturers and have to go through the same hoops as the others. Even Mary from McClellands isn't returning calls or emails regarding the new legislation. Seems like an awful lot of folks holding their breath over a done deal. Might as well keep breathing and carry on, eh?

499 pages of legalese is a lot to digest for anyone. I suspect more answers will be forthcoming in the days to come. We also haven't even begun the round rafter round of clarification issues to come from the Federal Department of Asshats. Patience grasshoppers all will be revealed soon.

So, we have two years to get the post '07 blends... sorry guys, I should just read up on this stuff myself

Old Nate":j5a6qap1 said:
So, we have two years to get the post '07 blends... sorry guys, I should just read up on this stuff myself
Basically. Yeah.

DrumsAndBeer":26emr1wq said:
I am wondering if some blends, like Old Dark Fired & union Square are profitable enough for Mac Baren and C&D to pay whatever the FDA wants for approval. Sure enough, less popular blends will most likely be discontinued.
Unlikely. USA Today estimated $1,000,000 per SKU. so unless they're selling millions of pounds, which they aren't, maybe a few 1,000 a year, it'll never be profitable.

ZeroContent":olh4l8qh said:
Old Nate":olh4l8qh said:
Basically. Yeah.
Thanks, Z. I'm def bummed about this. Ugh...

Ozark Wizard":ap0s99hc said:
Eric Furgeson":ap0s99hc said:
The sky might not be falling yet but let me ask if anyone has thought of what this could do to B&M sales of ALL bulk tobacco? With the common practice of shops giving there own names to other blends how will they be able to prove what the actual "mother" blend is? Or when they first blended it. I was speaking with a local tobacco sales rep. He is the one who brought this to my attention. I can't help but agree that this may lead to a decline in the availibility of bulk blends over all. I can also see the price of tins and pouches going through the roof before long.
I talked with Christian and Waymond at Just For Him today regarding their view, and both agreed that "all those jars behind the counter and their blending bulks, open box stuff, and sample tins will make room for more tins and pipes." They do make some of their own blends with bulk blends sourced from other manufacturers, and they plan on having to discontinue that offering as well. It seems that they would have to get licensed as tobacco manufacturers and have to go through the same hoops as the others. Even Mary from McClellands isn't returning calls or emails regarding the new legislation. Seems like an awful lot of folks holding their breath over a done deal. Might as well keep breathing and carry on, eh?  
This is much as the rep I spoke with said. So it looks as we have dodged many bullets in the past but this one went deeper then we thought. Before long if it is not in a tin or pouch and from a pre 07 blend it may be only a memory in the B&Ms. And I can see how this will cause a decline in B&M pipe sales as well. How many pipes have you bought at B&Ms because you have been eyeballing them while picking up an ounce or five of your favorite bulk blends? I know I am a see and feel shopper for the most part. I don't often buy things I can not check out in person.

ZeroContent":anovqybn said:
Unlikely. USA Today estimated $1,000,000 per SKU. so unless they're selling millions of pounds, which they aren't, maybe a few 1,000 a year, it'll never be profitable.
Yikes, that's insane.

What's a million bucks for those greedy 1%ers everyone is complaining about?  I say we make it 50bazillion dollars!!!  That'll teach them.

We ought to do this for everything... If you make more than a cheeseburger architect, we should tax you to that level.  Also, we should nationalize housing. There's no reason you should have a swimming pool and a den when I live in a trailer. It's not fair, and I have children you greedy monsters.  Now, I've said enough.. I'm going to the girls room to tinkle.

:fpalm: How is it this thread got demoted to bathroom humour, I will never know............

Ozark Wizard":q90jn3xa said:
:fpalm: How is it this thread got demoted to bathroom humour, I will never know............
Past the first couple of posts, it never even stayed on topic. Ah well.

No more McClelland's Christmas Cheer. Nor any of the seasonal offerings from any of the other guys. Special editions too. I would hazard a guess that all products from beyond the borders will be affected as well.

Bugsahearn":97410pil said:
What about the lakeland stuff in 2007?
Does GH&Co or SG have any 'post-2007' blends?
And does an importer have the same date/burden of permit situation as a US Based manufacturer?

puros_bran":p3fsqcb6 said:
Bugsahearn":p3fsqcb6 said:
What about the lakeland stuff in 2007?
Does GH&Co or SG have any 'post-2007' blends?
And does an importer have the same date/burden of permit situation as a US Based manufacturer?
My non-edumacted guess is that they will not be subject to this. That is unless they choose to sell to the US.

No Cheers,

RR