Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do sell to the US. That's why I was asking.

How does this apply to imported blends is my basic question.

puros_bran":qwzyzqo2 said:
They do sell to the US.  That's why I was asking.

How does this apply to imported blends is my basic question.
My guess, and it really is a guess, is that they would still be required to pay the application fee for FDA to approve it. Are imported goods subject to FDA approval, such as things from international supermarkets? If another government's approval of a product suffices, then it is possible the likes of SG, Peterson, Dan, etc. may not be affected.

Yes, foreign foodstuffs are theoretically required to meet FDA guidelines. It's why our blue cheese sucks monkey arse.

puros_bran":rspjb8y4 said:
Yes, foreign foodstuffs are theoretically required to meet FDA guidelines.  It's why our blue cheese sucks monkey arse.
That most likely, albeit unfortunately, answers our question. So, Mac Baren and others who have released new blends in the last 9 years will also be affected, though I think some of their blends are only for the US market, no?

No clue...

Will the 2007 grandfather date apply to imports or will each one be required to get certification?

If the 2007 date applies would it only be applicable to pre2007 blends in the US pre2007, or would all pre2007 blends be grandfathered, like Gallahers Irish brick (or whatever it's called)

If a pre2007 blend like Dunhill left the US market for a time post2007 but then returned to the market before the regulation goes into effect, does it count as a post 2007 or a pre 2007

—–— –– ––––— – –– —––

If I were an importer I think I'd be more afraid than if I were a US producer.

puros_bran":laeu0ut6 said:
No clue...

Will the 2007 grandfather date apply to imports or will each one be required to get certification?  

If the 2007 date applies would it only be applicable to pre2007 blends in the US pre2007, or would all pre2007 blends be grandfathered, like Gallahers Irish brick (or whatever it's called)

If a pre2007 blend like Dunhill left the US market for a time post2007 but then returned to the market before the regulation goes into effect, does it count as a post 2007 or a pre 2007

—–— –– ––––— – –– —––

If I were an importer I think I'd be more afraid than if I were a US producer.  
An astute statement, to be sure.

Cabbies blend and Pensioners mix from the Gawiths are both new blends

Also any of the Captain Black offerings in the 50gram tins. I believe they are Black Sea, Midnight Gold, and Red Sky

The entire Comoy's Cask line as well.

Ozark Wizard":eqj7o3yo said:
About a third of C&D's blends
Not even close Ozzy.. It may seem that way with them rolling out a 'new' tobacco every six months or so, but it's an illusion.  

I don't know how the post-Craig shop is ran so I can't comment on the current state but when Craig was alive he had about 250-275 active blends and probably triple that inactive...and that wasn't counting GLP, Capt Earle, etc.

On old TR.com there were something like 600 blends listed for them.  new and improved TR.com shows a little over 250.

puros_bran":r7wfvf12 said:
Ozark Wizard":r7wfvf12 said:
About a third of C&D's blends
Not even close Ozzy.. It may seem that way with them rolling out a 'new' tobacco every six months or so, but it's an illusion.  

I don't know how the post-Craig shop is ran so I can't comment on the current state but when Craig was alive he had about 250-275 active blends and probably triple that inactive...and that wasn't counting GLP, Capt Earle, etc.

On old TR.com there were something like 600 blends listed for them.  new and improved TR.com shows a little over 250.
So how many C&D blends are actually currently in production? Not including others they package?

If you are asking me: Everything is still in production.  If you are asking TR.com: 265 are in production.  If you are asking the FDA: Who knows.

The trick is defining 'currently in production'... That's the tricky part with C&D. 1 you can call and order anything they've ever made. Excepting Syrian blends of course.   2. They still list Star of the East as a 'New' blend on their website.  Lol.     What's in production and what's not is more than murky.

Then you have stuff like Star of the east (pre-2007) Star of the east flake (post-2007, I think). But.. Isn't it the same thing?  Is one on the naughty list and the other not?  

{Then a 'Screw all of these asshats'  thought occurs... With C&D's habit of changing the content by 1% and renaming it, what's to stop them & Greg from claiming GLPease Gaslight is just renamed C&D xxxxxx?  I would.  Eff em.  We'd all know better, and the Gov would as well, but prove its not. Lol. }

Anyway, The same murky stuff is going to happen with McClellands, Hearth & Home, Dan, Peter Stokebye (if the same rules apply to imported) etc etc.  
What will the FDA consider as in production.

MisterE":ea9s49wi said:
What about older blends that were discontinued but reintroduced after 2007.  Dunhill, 3 Nuns, etc. ??
From what I hear, the companies would have to produce evidence that these blends had been previously sold in the USA to be grandfathered in to the pre-2007 date.

Here is a tentative list: Post 2007 Tobacco.

I have made it editable by anyone, which I will change eventually. Most of this was done by memory, which is why many of the dates are uncertain. Nevertheless, even though many are missing dates, I am fairly confident they came after 2007. Blends highlighted are uncertain in my mind if they come after the Feb. 2007 cutoff date. The list is anything but complete, which is why you all are able to edit. If you're not willing to mess with the format, just put new additions at the very bottom and I will sort them out.

You will also notice that I left off a lot of reintroduction stuff. For example, Rattray's new additions (Stirling Flake, Buckingham, etc.) are the recipes of other blends with a different name. I am unsure how these will be judged by the FDA, so they were left off the list for now. I also left off everything bulk because I'm assuming most bulks will likely be nixed eventually. You're still more than welcome to add bulks to the mix. I don't smoke many bulks so my knowledge of them is limited.

Lastly, I do not smoke Cornell & Diehl, nor do I keep up with their releases. So, if someone who is more familiar with their stuff and what they've released in recent years, please enlighten us (namely, me) of those blends that fail to meet the Feb. 2007 requirement.

puros_bran":3p3o1spz said:
Why do you believe most bulks will be nixed?
It's more of a hunch, I suppose. I'm, of course, assuming all pipe tobacco will have to have proper packaging approved by FDA. Hoping I'm wrong.

The hunch has more or less to do with being able to sale pipe tobacco that is not packaged (kind of like not being able to sell single cigarettes). Yes, you and I see pipe tobacco different than cigarettes, vaping, and even cigars, but I'm not convinced the FDA sees it that way. Thus, I do believe bulk will eventually, probably sooner rather than later, fall by the wayside.

I updated my original post to reflect that assumption.

I really don't see pipe tobacco different that cigars, cigarettes, chew, dip, Snus.  It's all tobacco use.

I do see ecigs as different.. And I think it was a huge mistake to ever call them e'cigs'.  They aren't tobacco, the primary component used is not tobacco, and the nicotine used is but a small component of tobacco.
Nicotine in and of itself is not carcinogenic. Listing ecigs with known carcinogens is a travesty and it is going to lead to people dying of cancer that otherwise would not have.
Harm reduction doesn't matter to the zealot... "It produces something that looks like smoke and it calms cravings, it must be banned"

Edited in: Ever heard of 'divide and conquer'? When they came for the cigs the rest of the tobacco users should have stood shoulder to shoulder and told them to piss off... Instead everyone hunkers down and says "as long as they aren't bothering my small segment I don't care." Well, everyone cares now. It was delusional to think they wouldn't come for us when they were through ravaging the others.

It looks like Greg's line will be hit particularly hard. Most of my favorite GLP blends fall in the post-'07 category. I'd love to hear his take on it.

MisterE":bk63031k said:
It looks like Greg's line will be hit particularly hard. Most of my favorite GLP blends fall in the post-'07 category. I'd love to hear his take on it.
Same... This also means that there likely would be no new blends from Greg, which in and of itself is saddening. I'd love to hear his thoughts as well. Perhaps he will chime in.

The good news is that most of his stuff come in 8 oz tins at a great price, so it is fairly easy to stock up.

I see Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is listed. Sigh. That'll be one I need to load up on. Two tins will not a retirement make..... Just tried SPC's Deception pass, and of course it's listed.

I see some grey hair creeping into my sideburns.................