Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshoowah

Reaction score
I figured it might be time to start discussing what blends became available in February 2007 or later. The latest FDA regulations could spell doom for them in the next year or so. Simply provide a simple list of those you know came after the specified date. I'll begin the list by naming some of my favorites:

McClelland's Red and Black
McClelland's Three Oaks
McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian
McClelland's Frog Morton Cellar
McClelland's Blue Mountain (now Balkan Blue)
McClelland's Wilderness
Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding
Seattle Pipe Club's Deception Pass
Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River
Seattle Pipe Club's Seattle Evening
Seattle Pipe Club's Pike Place
Seattle Pipe Club's Potlatch
GL Pease's Sextant
GL Pease's Jackknife Plug
GL Pease's Maltese Falcon
GL Pease's Six Pence
GL Pease's Gaslight
GL Pease's Quiet Nights
STCP's Bengal Slices
Hearth & Home's Fusilier's Ration

That's a decent start.

Note: I'll compose an Excel spreadsheet of all the listings after everyone has their say and post it.

Was wondering this myself. Is the sky falling yet or are we still in limbo? Have any tobacco companies issued statements about this yet?

I guess my thoughts are that pipe tobacco is totally affordable right now and I doubt it gets cheaper even if these rules get shot down so I'm buying what I can, when I can. 10% off McClelland tobaccos right now at p&c...

Bemused":xupzfvo3 said:
Was wondering this myself. Is the sky falling yet or are we still in limbo? Have any tobacco companies issued statements about this yet?

I guess my thoughts are that pipe tobacco is totally affordable right now and I doubt it gets cheaper even if these rules get shot down so I'm buying what I can, when I can. 10% off McClelland tobaccos right now at p&c...
It's basically a tempered limbo. I'm sure the tobacco companies won't say anything until things are bit more materialized. I wish I could take advantage of the 10% off. Alas, I have no money.

Yes I was wondering about this myself. Particularly about blends that are reintroductions such as Warhorse or the rereleased Edgeworth?

Jim

The sky is not falling. Far from it. I bet there are more blends made pre-07 than post-07.

People were quite happy with tobaccos in 2006.

No I agree things are not all that desperate. My thing is a reproduction blend under the grandfather clause?

HH Old Darkfired
HH Latikia Flake
HH Vintage Syrian
HH Bold Kentucky
HH Acadian Perique

All 4th Generation, Tsuge, Drew Estate, Briar Works, new releases of John Cotton's, War Horse, Bengal Slices, H&H Marque series, RO, HH ODF and BK, are post 2006.

I don't want any (non-coercive)choice taken from the people by the government. And I wish everyone remotely associated with the FDA would go jump off a bridge.. But trust me, pipe smokers got off easy.
There's plenty of Germains, SG, GH&Co, Pease, C&D, Etc, etc, left. You could still smoke a different tin of tobacco every week until the day you die and never repeat a single smoke. The big guys won, but we don't view the big guys as big guys because of brand diversity.

The ECig guys got their ass handed to them...basically Dekang juice in the ineffective KR808 or 501 cartomizer. The big guys just shut down an avenue out of lung cancer. Hurray for progressive democracy.

I'm uncertain about the cigar market. There's so many bust & boom cycles it's hard to remember who was were except for the really big players, who I am sure walk away fine as a frog.

As to the question of reproduction blends, yeah, no. This is the government we are discussing.

ZeroContent":mzijnif8 said:
All 4th Generation, Tsuge, Drew Estate, Briar Works, new releases of John Cotton's, War Horse, Bengal Slices, H&H Marque series, RO, HH ODF and BK, are post 2006.
Are definitely post the Feb. 2007 cut-off.

The ones I can't remember when were introduced were the likes of the Frog Morton series (minus cellar because it is 2011) and the Craftsbury Series from McClelland. Not to mention, their number of club blends, which I only smoke a couple of. A lot of Pease is 2007 onward as well. His classic series is pre the date, but much of his original, heirloom, and London series fall after the date. To be honest, I think Greg's blends would take a mighty hit if the regulations are what they claim.

PB is right that there are still a lot of blends pre-2007 that would be around, including the heralded Esoterica and Germain tobaccos. I smoke a lot of that stuff too, but I smoke more newer stuff than I realized. I'm still going to attempt to make a spreadsheet if someone can give me a bit more info on blends introduced after the specified date. Pease seems to be the only one whose blends have a date on their release.

Bemused":nan3dg21 said:
Was Tudor Castle before 2007? I definitely like that.
A limited batch was blended in 2007 and then reintroduced in 2009.

When did PCCA (not McC)actually release the blend?  
Pretty sure that was pre-07 wasn't it?

Edited in: PCCA released a boat load of blends in the mid-90s. Produced by both McC and SG. I don't know if McC's labels will be grandfathered but they should be. They were manifactoring the tobaccos pre-2007.

puros_bran":yol0nhln said:
When did PCCA (not McC)actually release the blend?  
Pretty sure that was pre-07 wasn't it?

Edited in: PCCA released a boat load of blends in the mid-90s. Produced by both McC and SG.  I don't know if McC's labels will be grandfathered but they should be. They were manifactoring the tobaccos pre-2007.
That's the murkiness to me presently. Are reintroductions considered new blends? Not sure to be honest.

Perhaps the saddest thing is that there may not be anymore new introductions period.

The sky might not be falling yet but let me ask if anyone has thought of what this could do to B&M sales of ALL bulk tobacco? With the common practice of shops giving there own names to other blends how will they be able to prove what the actual "mother" blend is? Or when they first blended it. I was speaking with a local tobacco sales rep. He is the one who brought this to my attention. I can't help but agree that this may lead to a decline in the availibility of bulk blends over all. I can also see the price of tins and pouches going through the roof before long.

They can prove it by purchase orders and receipts.

A restaurant can sell "Soda,yeller pop,or sassafras tea" without telling us it's "Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or Dr Pepper".

And even if it turns out they can't, what's to stop them from just calling their 'house blends' what they really are? I don't see how it's going to hurt them the least in this regard.

joshoowah said:
ZeroContent":ybwtzf3f said:
The ones I can't remember when were introduced were the likes of the Frog Morton series (minus cellar because it is 2011) and the Craftsbury Series from McClelland. Not to mention, their number of club blends, which I only smoke a couple of. A lot of Pease is 2007 onward as well. His classic series is pre the date, but much of his original, heirloom, and London series fall after the date. To be honest, I think Greg's blends would take a mighty hit if the regulations are what they claim.
The original FM will be safe, and I'm fairly certain the others (excluding Cellar) will be as well. For my $.02, Pease has enough blends pre-07 of high quality that my personal tastes will be satisfied (Haddo's, Telegraph Hill, Fillmore, Blackpoint all feature prominently in my rotation).

Honestly, this doesn't strike me as the tobaccopocalypse that a lot of people seem to think it is. Is in ludicrous, overreaching, inconveniencing, and (probably) going to cost us more money in the long run? Sure. But there will still be plenty of tobacco, and high quality tobacco, at that. Plus, it's not as if there all blends post '07 have been outlawed. They still CAN exist if the blender decides to pursue approval.

Let's all just take a breath, load up the cellar with post '07 favorites (if you have the ability to do so), and see where this things goes. Hell, we all know it's going to get a lot worse than this at some point, right?

Most thoughtful post, Ian. I tend to agree with your sentiments. I have to admit though, I will definitely miss GLP Meridian, Union Square & Embarcadero. Serious mainstays in my rotations there.

idbowman":gv9q48aj said:
joshoowah":gv9q48aj said:
ZeroContent":gv9q48aj said:
The original FM will be safe, and I'm fairly certain the others (excluding Cellar) will be as well.  For my $.02, Pease has enough blends pre-07 of high quality that my personal tastes will be satisfied (Haddo's, Telegraph Hill, Fillmore, Blackpoint all feature prominently in my rotation).  

Honestly, this doesn't strike me as the tobaccopocalypse that a lot of people seem to think it is.  Is in ludicrous, overreaching, inconveniencing, and (probably) going to cost us more money in the long run?  Sure.  But there will still be plenty of tobacco, and high quality tobacco, at that.  Plus, it's not as if there all blends post '07 have been outlawed.  They still CAN exist if the blender decides to pursue approval.  

Let's all just take a breath, load up the cellar with post '07 favorites (if you have the ability to do so), and see where this things goes.  Hell, we all know it's going to get a lot worse than this at some point, right?
You're most definitely correct. I do not think this is the tobaccopocalypse. I am simply compiling a list of 2007 onward blends for myself and possibly others. I can't afford to stock up on anything, let alone tobacco, but I do plan on buying a few more tins of some favorites this summer just in case.

Also, from my reading of the regulations, I think the point is blenders probably won't pursue approval simply because of the cost. Pipe tobacco is small pennies when it comes to the overall sales of tobacco. Blenders and manufacturers probably would not be able to sustain themselves if they have many blends after the 2007 threshold. Perhaps, though, pipe tobacco somehow gains exemption. Time will tell, I suppose.

DrumsAndBeer":pnn2fkov said:
Most thoughtful post, Ian. I tend to agree with your sentiments. I have to admit though, I will definitely miss GLP Meridian, Union Square & Embarcadero. Serious mainstays in my rotations there.
Gaslight and Six Pence for me.

Triple Play for me... I believe it's 2011 give or take. Might have to find a replacement for Quiet Nights.