Pipe Tobacco Question (s)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
Okay, so when I started getting into pipes, I was very much intrigued more by the pipes than the tobacco. Because I have been more pipe focused, rather than tobacco focused, I feel as though I am severely lacking in tobacco education. If it helps any of you, let me start by saying that I started with cigars then got into pipes.

The shop that I work at has always been more aromatic heavy on their offerings because it seems as though first time/newbie smokers prefer those. As I dug into different types of tobacco (online) I found there to be two main groups: Aromatic and English. Is that correct? Now that I'm getting even further into the realm of tobacco pipe education I am getting a sense that there are more. I have also noticed that it almost seems as though a majority of the pipe smokers on here do not generally care for aromatics. It almost seems like aromatics are the flavored cigars of the pipe world....

I guess what I am struggling with is deciphering the difference between type of tobacco "blends" and the tobaccos that actually are in the blends (Virginia, Latikia). What makes it one or the other? Is there a good link/discussion on the boards that would explain this confusing web to me? I guess I am looking for clarification and an extenuation of knowledge. Thank you in advance for helping me have a better understanding!

The Pease article is good but feel free to ask follow-up questions around the board! We all have (conflicting) opinions!

RE: aromatics. Although I tried lots of different things in my first incarnation as a pipe smoker (76-97), I always came back to Captain Black (white or royal). When I returned, it did nothing for me. Still, some of what I enjoy today are just as flavored (Westmorland, 1792, not to mention many Lakelands, or those flavored in smoky as opposed to sweet ways, i.e. Latakia & Kentucky blends), but they all tend to have less cavendish than what I enjoyed years ago. Others' experiences may vary.

To piggyback a bit on the good DrT's aromatics comment, there's a huge difference between what Americans & British refer to as an aromatic tobacco. A lot of this was dictated by the old English Purity Laws which forbade use of certain additives. Check out this GL Pease article in which he elaborates on the term "English." See the question from Tony..

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/ask-g-l-pease/ask-g-l-pease-april-2012-volume-12/

As well as the two types of blend/mixtures you mentioned there are all the various Virginia blends/mixtures from straight Va's theu all the various VaPers, VaBurs as well as all the "Navy" iterations as well !! It just gets simpler, right ? :twisted: I've been smoking over 40 years now and I'm STILL finding new stuff out !! So sit back, pick out some 'baccy and learn !! You've got a lifetime to learn ! :twisted: :twisted:

Okay, all of the articles are bookmarked and I have read through two of them already!

That last post brings up another question: What are VaPers and VaBurs? I have seen those referred to in a couple other topics/posts but there was no definition for them. There are so many pipe acronyms and short terms that I need to learn.

I have also noticed some less than favorable remarks about national brands like "Lane". May I ask what is wrong with national brands like "Lane"?

(P.S. Anybody want to give up the true definitions of P.A.D. and T.A.D.? I have been going through this forum since I joined and soaking it all in, all the while I was a little too shy to ask for clarity, don't judge!)

kaitlyn3837":ks9vi9fv said:
Okay, all of the articles are bookmarked and I have read through two of them already!

That last post brings up another question: What are VaPers and VaBurs? I have seen those referred to in a couple other topics/posts but there was no definition for them. There are so many pipe acronyms and short terms that I need to learn.

I have also noticed some less than favorable remarks about national brands like "Lane". May I ask what is wrong with national brands like "Lane"?

(P.S. Anybody want to give up the true definitions of P.A.D. and T.A.D.? I have been going through this forum since I joined and soaking it all in, all the while I was a little too shy to ask for clarity, don't judge!)
Virginia/Perique, Virginia/Burley, Pipe or Tobacco Acquisition Disorder

there is a sticky in this part of BoB with a larger list

Welcome to the Forum.

Va: Virginia
Per: Perique
Bur: Burley
PAD: Pipe acquisition disorder
TAD: Tobacco acquisition disorder

If you like to read, you might find an old copy of The Book of Pipes & Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr. It might provide some good visuals regarding the different leaf that's out there. If I'm not mistaken, there's also a topic in this part of the website regarding good beginning tobacco blends.

Well stated lesath. I lean more towards aros but at this point I would be doing myself a disservice to not continue trying many different types. I just try not to break the bank on the journey. I think my next "stop" will be Boswells. I can sample all their house blends for about $150. Which to me is a good deal for the variety. Especially since they all come highly praised.

Along the same lines. Does anyone know of a pipe tobacco app that will help track tobaccos like "Cigar Boss". That app is great if you smoke cigars but offers nothing for pipe.

Feazelle-n-it":1cmo6y86 said:
Along the same lines. Does anyone know of a pipe tobacco app that will help track tobaccos like "Cigar Boss". That app is great if you smoke cigars but offers nothing for pipe.
I don't know an app, but there is a site for tracking tobaccos:
http://www.tobaccocellar.com

A few things to the OP:

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that aromatics are the flavored cigars of the pipe world. Aromatics are still incredibly popular and very widely smoked (if they weren't popular, I doubt Russ Oulette and others would keep churning out new blends at break neck speed). It does seem that a majority of the internet pipe community leans towards non-aromatic blends, but I don't think that's necessarily representative of the pipe smoking world as a whole.

If you're read the Pease articles, I'm sure you're finding that Aromatic Vs. English has become outdated. There is a whole range of tobaccos that are neither topped with aromatic sauces and that don't feature the smoky, woodsy, Latakia characteristics of "English." If you look at some of the retailers' web sites they list another major category as "Non-Aromatic." This is a very, very, VERY broad term that generally incorporates uncased/untopped blends comprised of different combinations of Virginias, Burleys, Orientals, and Periques.

It's a rabbit hole that runs pretty deep, but don't worry - once you get it all sorted out we'll throw together a new set of nomenclature to bandy about for a few years until we get bored with it again.

Also, someone (DrT?) mentioned a thread that summarizes most of our shorthand - if you haven't found it, here its: LINK

I'm curious what cigars you smoke. If you smoke a LFD double ligero then use that to light a Joya de Nicaragua followed by a Camacho you'll probably be disappointed with aromatics or other light nicotine blends. Not that they aren't pleasant but often the lighter stuff requires pretty good technique to enjoy. For example if you're sucking at an aromatic to aggressively because your body is craving a little more nicotine than is available there it'll get goopy in your pipe or maybe burn a hole through your tongue. I'm not encouraging you to go nicotine wild, just suggesting you consider that it will affect how you smoke your pipe especially when newer.

I love virginia tobaccos because of their natural sweetness.

If you want to taste what I'm talking about, buy some McClellands 5100 Red Cake, sweet, sweeter than honey!

I smoke a lot of different cigars! I like everything from mild to full, it depends on my mood and what I have had to eat that day.

I think that I assumed that pipe tobacco was similar to to cigars in terms of being able to define it by strength (mild, medium, and full). From what I have seen and heard I also then assumed that mild end would be aromatics and that the full end would be english blends. But now I see that I have been thinking about pipe tobacco in a way that isn't really viable. There ARE different strengths but the strengths aren't used to classify the pipe tobaccos as heavily as it is used in the cigar world. Pipe tobaccos are more clearly defined by the actual tobaccos that compose the blend. Am I on the right track? Am I making sense?

Essentially, from what I was reading before last night (in some comments and posts), I almost felt like it was bad that I liked aromatics (not that anyone had commented to me or in one of my posts, but in other threads), as if I hadn't got out of newbie mode. BUT I really enjoy English blends too (Sutliff Blend #5, Crown Achievement, PS-17 English Luxury). Now as the topic is fleshing out, I see that most of you enjoy a little bit of both worlds even though you tend to smoke more of one than the other, or smoke a lot of stuff in between.