Pipe Tobacco Question (s)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like the nicotine issue shouldn't be much of a barrier to your pipe enjoyment since you already smoke up and down the scale. Definitely use that link DrT999 just listed. You can look up the stuff you think you already like and see in general what the strength is listed at, other determinations like room note and taste and what leafs are used and that will give you a starting point.

kaitlyn3837":laksq5oc said:
There ARE different strengths but the strengths aren't used to classify the pipe tobaccos as heavily as it is used in the cigar world. Pipe tobaccos are more clearly defined by the actual tobaccos that compose the blend. Am I on the right track? Am I making sense?
Sounds about right, though keep in mind that there can be some correlation between component tobaccos and nicotine strength; or, if it's not already complicated enough, how certain component tobaccos are processed/prepared can play role in nicotine strength.

kaitlyn3837":laksq5oc said:
Essentially, from what I was reading before last night (in some comments and posts), I almost felt like it was bad that I liked aromatics (not that anyone had commented to me or in one of my posts, but in other threads), as if I hadn't got out of newbie mode. BUT I really enjoy English blends too (Sutliff Blend #5, Crown Achievement, PS-17 English Luxury). Now as the topic is fleshing out, I see that most of you enjoy a little bit of both worlds even though you tend to smoke more of one than the other, or smoke a lot of stuff in between.  
Meh. Smoke what you like. A number of us "Non-aro" guys keep something sweet around to dip into from time to time. You may also find that your tastes change over time, and find a way to cycle around and around and around - this is a pretty common theme around here.

Also, you'll find that the more you play around with pipe tobaccos, the more you'll find out the blends with flavors that may not be particularly "strong," MORE than make up for it in complexity and nuance. I've spent a fair bit of time with cigars, too, and the varieties of taste/strength/components are SUBSTANTIALLY more vast in the pipe world than with cigars (and that's not even accounting for the limitless variety of aromatics). YMMV

Thank you for all the help! It's definitely helping me piece together a better picture of pipe tobacco in general. This is mostly out of personal interest but it does also help in my professional world too. Unfortunately, I didn't have someone who could teach me about all of this and explain the differences. The last manager pretty much knew nothing about pipes. He was more of a knife guy and then got into cigars but never had a passion for pipes. So now, I am trying to develop a broader understanding of all of the tobaccos. Cigars are the bread and butter for my store but I think if I were more knowledgeable about pipes, it would help us expand in that area. Plus, my personal enjoyment of pipes is expanding really quickly and this is helping me a great deal!

kaitlyn3837":nboq5nsw said:
Okay, all of the articles are bookmarked and I have read through two of them already!

That last post brings up another question: What are VaPers and VaBurs? I have seen those referred to in a couple other topics/posts but there was no definition for them. There are so many pipe acronyms and short terms that I need to learn.

I have also noticed some less than favorable remarks about national brands like "Lane". May I ask what is wrong with national brands like "Lane"?

(P.S. Anybody want to give up the true definitions of P.A.D. and T.A.D.? I have been going through this forum since I joined and soaking it all in, all the while I was a little too shy to ask for clarity, don't judge!)
As far as Lane tobaccos, they are probably responsible for the majority of loose "House Blends" one finds in those apothecary jars at many B^Ms around the country. One shop in L.A.'s "Autumn Mist is a shop in Ohio's "Morning Dew" as BOTH are re-labeled Lane 1-Q !! They are one of the older blenders/importers of tobacco products here in the US. They used to be based out of Tucker, GA. but I don't know if that's where they are. They produce LOT's of Bulk blends as well as a few tinned offerings and back in the '50s thru '80s were the owners and importeres of the old British pipe firm Charatan. ( Charatan is now owned by the White Spot pipe firm that used to be Dunhill and now has the standard shapes made in France )
 Most of today's "newbies" would dislike the manner I was taught to smoke a pipe back in the '70s. The "old men" would tell you " ... stop going from blend to blend, pick one or two out and smoke JUST them for at least a year so that you get to KNOW them !" i did it this way and it's been an informative and usually enjoyable manner of smokeing for the past 40+ years !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":99szut46 said:
The "old men" would tell you " ... stop going from blend to blend, pick one or two out and smoke JUST them for at least a year so that you get to KNOW them !" i did it this way and it's been an informative and usually enjoyable manner of smokeing for the past 40+ years !! :twisted: :twisted:
Personally, I don't know why anybody needs any tobacco besides Storm Front or Haunted Bookshop. All the rest is just excess. :lol!:

As far as Lane tobaccos, they are probably responsible for the majority of loose "House Blends" one finds in those apothecary jars at many B^Ms around the country. One shop in L.A.'s "Autumn Mist is a shop in Ohio's "Morning Dew" as BOTH are re-labeled Lane 1-Q !! They are one of the older blenders/importers of tobacco products here in the US. They used to be based out of Tucker, GA. but I don't know if that's where they are. They produce LOT's of Bulk blends as well as a few tinned offerings and back in the '50s thru '80s were the owners and importeres of the old British pipe firm Charatan. ( Charatan is now owned by the White Spot pipe firm that used to be Dunhill and now has the standard shapes made in France )
 Most of today's "newbies" would dislike the manner I was taught to smoke a pipe back in the '70s. The "old men" would tell you " ... stop going from blend to blend, pick one or two out and smoke JUST them for at least a year so that you get to KNOW them !" i did it this way and it's been an informative and usually enjoyable manner of smokeing for the past 40+ years !! :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

Ah ha! Another piece of the puzzle! I HAVE heard that about Lane 1Q, that different places would rename it whatever they wanted to name it. But that does provide some history on Lane and where it comes from. We carry that bulk blend in our shop but we leave it as Lane 1Q. I did recently talk my boss into letting me bring in some Sutliff tins but it will be awhile (if ever) before I can get him to bring in another brand of tin tobaccos. He doesn't see the point but trying to explain it to him is pointless.

That's also an interesting way of getting to "know" a blend. I think only smoking one or two blends for a year might drive me a bit bonkers...

Simple Man":w6djldmd said:
monbla256":w6djldmd said:
The "old men" would tell you " ... stop going from blend to blend, pick one or two out and smoke JUST them for at least a year so that you get to KNOW them !" i did it this way and it's been an informative and usually enjoyable manner of smokeing for the past 40+ years !! :twisted: :twisted:
Personally, I don't know why anybody needs any tobacco besides Storm Front or Haunted Bookshop. All the rest is just excess. :lol!:
HURRAH FOR EXCESS! :cheers:

Regarding different categories and strengths, the are milder-stronger blends in each category. There are mild English blends (flavor and nic) and there are strong ones. The same goes for VA-based blends, etc. There is even a big difference in English aromatics (usually stronger tobaccos with floral/herbal scents) and Danish or American aros (usually milder cavendish with candy flavor).

Also, +1 to there being a much bigger variety in pipe tobacco flavors. That's one reason I love the pipe.

I have also found that I cycle through different tastes throughout the year. In the fall/winter I usually go for more English and Oriental blends, while I focus more on VAs and an occasional aromatic in the spring/summer. But I've been getting into blends with dark-fired KY burley since last winter, so they have sort of been year-round. You may find something similar.

monbla256":fhedqmp0 said:
 Most of today's "newbies" would dislike the manner I was taught to smoke a pipe back in the '70s. The "old men" would tell you " ... stop going from blend to blend, pick one or two out and smoke JUST them for at least a year so that you get to KNOW them !"
My father was of this philosophy. Anything else revealed a certain lack of character. The first 15-20 years I smoked, 99% of my smoking was from two blends. It works pretty well really, but there is not so much to talk about on a pipe smoking forum. There are folks like this still.

I have a friend who smokes nothing but Troost. I have another friend who smokes something he gets at the Tinder Box, and he does not know what it is - no kidding - I have asked. He goes in with his pouch every week when he runs out, and they know him. They both seem to be quite happy with this arrangement.

There was a mod on another forum that smoked nothing but Penzance. I wonder if he's been able to keep in stock.

I smoked only Mac Baren's Golden Extra for ten years.  It was actually available in drugstores at the time.  Then I discovered B & Ms and McClelland.  Then after the internet, all hell broke loose.  Can't say I'm any happier now, pipesmokerly-wise, than when I was in a state of ignorance.

If you like aromatics, smoke 'em.  There is absolutely nothing wrong, naive, lame, dilettantish, boring, or louche about them, generally speaking.  My only problem with them is that they don't taste like tobacco, or at least my idea of tobacco.

It's the same deal with flavored tea and coffee. A decent analogy.

I smoked my own mix of Fox and something and another something for more years than I can remember. One was kind of proud of this. We all stuck to one brand of tobacco like cigarette smokers had their favourite.....mine was Texan Plain for 14 years!

It was only when I discovered e-tailers that I began smoking more than one brand.

All of this has been very eye-opening and I do feel much more informed about pipe tobacco in general. It's nice to have such a wealth of knowledge on here and all of the resources you have provided have helped! Needless to say, I have been quite distracted the last two days from my research into these links and articles.

I've said this before, but my late Pap was a one brand man. Uhle's #255 and nothing else. As long as I can remember.

He was of the generation that chose one brand of tobacco, beer, and much else and stuck with it.

Life was so much simpler then. FWIW!

Cheers,

RR

I like variety too much. In beer as well as tobacco. I could never just pick one. I couldn't even just pick one latakia blend. I'm glad we don't have to do things the old way, though if that's what you enjoy, go to it! I've a friend who smokes nothing but Best-of-the-Rest. He's happy with it, so good for him!

I like variety too! In cigars and in pipe tobacco! I also think that I should try and know everything that I sell in my shop, so I couldn't just stick to one.