Pipe Tools

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
I have never been particular about my pipe tool and about as fancy as I have ever gotten is a Czech tool. I had been looking at these nicer tools offered by Steve Monjure for a while and finally broke down and bought one at the TAPS show. Man I wish that I had taken the plunge before now! While I have seen more expensive ones I still think that the $20 for this tool was a lot for just a pipe tool but now I see that it was worth every penny to me. I collect pocket knives and this thing is just like a pocket knife.

I would like to know what other folks are using for pipe tools. Any thoughts?

pipetool1.JPG

pipetool2.JPG

JP ya got 10 pipe tools the good lord gave ya,why in the world would ya waste money on that contraption?. :D

I like the briar tamper with the screw out pick.

But for day to day stuff I use either a pipe nail or a YelloBowl made in china Czeck tool. They are cheap enough to lose.

We have a member here that makes some pretty nice tampers, he crafts them out of acrylic and celliod. He'd probably get some of my money if he'd turn a pen and a tamper out of the same block. Sorry Bro I can't remember who you are.

puros_bran":aubcbzcm said:
We have a member here that makes some pretty nice tampers, he crafts them out of acrylic and celliod. He'd probably get some of my money if he'd turn a pen and a tamper out of the same block. Sorry Bro I can't remember who you are.
PB,

The tamper guy is Bill D. He does make some beautiful tampers. They are even more beautiful in person. I hope that I can acquire one of them someday.

I have the exact same tool,bought it from Iwan Ries about 12 years ago for 18$
I think.That is my main tool plus I use a fine German pocket knife [Hen&Rooster]
with stag handles to scrape my meers.I found that the tamper part kept unscrewing
so a drop of super glue several years ago fixed that.
I am just lost without that tool,same way I've gotten with my Swiss Army multitool.
Can't leave home without it.

Winslow

Czech pipe tool, tamper and pick in the Pipe Master pipe, and a wooden tamper by Mike Brissett, gifted by Jason.

I smoke Walnut. Nuthin keeps the cake better manicured than a blue steel chisel attached to my Milwaukee impact driver.

I have a variety. The Czech tool, a pipe nail, a real copper nail made into a pipe tool, a BobH from Ohio original Osage Orange tamper, a Tom Dunn ivory tamper, a fancy GBD pipe tool with fancy wood, and assorted shell casings and deer antler tampers.

Can you have Pipe Tool Acquisition Disorder. I have umpteen pipe nails, three Czech tools, a rot iron pipe nail, two pipe tools from Johan Slabbert, two Mike Brissett's, two Larry Faulkner's, two stag tampers from "the name escapes me right now, two Brebbia's, a fancy one somewhat like Justpipes that I purchased at a now closed down B&M and a couple that I have no idea who I got from.

I must be the odd ball here. I've had the same 3 pipe tools for the last 10 or 11 years. Thhe long thin ones with an oval type of tamper on the end. Not sure where they're made but they sure are good ones, I have about 6 or 7 other tampers. I have 3 differant kinds of reamers but no pipe knives. I hope to get one that I like called Rodgers. I like the shape of the blade on it. I would sure as hell love to get a couple of Ming tampers. They sure look beautiful :farao: :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I never think of myself as the type of person who collects pipe tools, but somehow I've managed to gather a bunch over the years. I've got the usual collection of Czech pipe tools (both the older, larger version as well as the current one), various nails, a pipe-shaped tool with metal sides (at least 25 years old), briar tampers, plus many others. My hands-down favorite visually is a Ming tamper that I had custom made a few years ago...it's a thing of beauty. But the one that I use the most is the little tool that's in the bottom of my Old Boy lighter. I always have the Old Boy in my pocket, so that tool's always at hand.

I have a tool that is similar to the one you pictured above. It was my father's and is a pleasure to use for a number of reasons, beyond the sentimental. The main one is that the weight seems perfect for tamping without using any additional pressure. It's a good size but still fits where it needs to. The one I use most these days is a piece of deer antler on a key chain. Works great, especially for outdoors stuff where you might not want to use your really good tamp. I made a second piece into a spoon/pick kind of the shape of the back end of some of the one piece tampers. Love it.