Pipes and Beards, mostly beards: one woman's perspective

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
(A small side note, my sweetie only smokes pipe in the summer as he doesn't smoke in his house, this was the first time we got to smoke together, also this relationship is quite new so we are that irritating couple you see out in public that can't seem to stop snogging and touching each other. Nope, not gonna apologize either :p)

Last night my sweetie and I sat on the gate of his pick up truck in the back yard and conversed over a bowl and a brew. It was a lovely way to finish off the evening.  We got ready for bed and during our usual bedtime rituals, I kissed him and the sweet smell of pipe smoke lingered in his beard. Wow! I had just discovered another one of those little known secret delights of the soul. I kept nuzzling closer and was finally met with, "Woman, stop sniffing my beard so I can sleep!" Let me tell you I am newly converted to the love of the beard.  I had SO many preconceived notions about beards:  they were itchy, they were smelly, they weren't clean, etc. When he and I met I had some not so nice thoughts about his beard that included the words "scruffy" "live with it" "argleblargle", by the end of our first month dating I couldn't be near him without having my fingers in his beard. I screamed the day he walked into my house, fresh from the barbers, most of his beard trimmed off for the hot summer.  I am forever nuzzling up to his neck to sniff his beard. (Make all the faces you want, we're women, despite what we say sometimes, we love the way you smell and it's concentrated in your beard if you have one.) The smell of pipe smoke on top of the normal man smell. If someone could bottle that, they'd be a billionaire.

As I said I'm a new convert to the beard love club, but since becoming a convert I can tell you that I think every woman who says she detests beards probably hasn't touched one, has not had the supreme pleasure of sniffing one, or of being nuzzled with a beard, or the many other delights that come with it, some of which I can not mention here. Basically, I'll bet if they tried it, they'd never go back to a clean shaven face. Now add to that a pipe and it just bellows MANLY! There is something about a bearded man with a pipe that just speaks to the cave woman in us all, well we women anyway. It's a very primal connection.

Let me sum it up with this. If I were to walk into a bar (sounds like a bad joke set up) and see a clean shaven man, a man with a beard, and a man with a beard smoking a pipe sitting at the bar, I know exactly where I'm going to sit. Pipes and beards were meant to go together.

I'm showing this post to my wife. She always complains about how ticklish my beard is.

On a side note, one reason I like smoking aromatics is the mustache note that lingers for most of the day.

I shampoo and condition my beard daily. The pipe smell does linger in a good way. :D 

Ocelot55":42rr5ht8 said:
I'm showing this post to my wife. She always complains about how ticklish my beard is.

On a side note, one reason I like smoking aromatics is the mustache note that lingers for most of the day.
I think 'beard note' needs to be part of the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com ;)

Fatman":0hbtb483 said:
I shampoo and condition my beard daily. The pipe smell does linger in a good way. :D 
My sweetie shampoos and conditions his beard too. You have a lovely beard, by the by.

My wife likes my beard, too. She's not in love with the pipe, necessarily, but hasn't told me to stop. haha!

Hmmmm, I wasn't aware that some women felt this way about a beard. I've always had a mustache and every winter grow my beard back. To me it makes me look much older then I am or at least older then I think I look but, is mostly a convenience not having to shave with the added bonus of warmth. As far as the women's point of view I just figured none really liked it and just put up with it to an extent. I've even had one ask for me to shave the mustache. BTW that didn't happen and she lived with it for the time she was around.
Glad to know there's women who appreciate what god gave us.

Oh! and what's with this chest shaving thing? Do you all want us to look like preadolescence's or is it the same as the beard thing?

My wife hates my beard, have grown it out numerous times and she hates it, hates the smell of a pipe unless its latakia, or a cigar unless she is smoking one too. But after 25 years... meh, she can live with it :)

rev

Cartaphilus":ag0huj5u said:
Oh! and what's with this chest shaving thing? Do you all want us to look like preadolescence's or is it the same as the beard thing?  
Different strokes for different folks. Some ladies or gents like em smooth, some don't.

@Briarbabe
That was one of the best posts I've ever read concerning facial hair, thanks for your comments and preferences. You may be in the minority of women IMO but you certainly know what you like and I applaud you for that. My only thought about beards and moustaches is that they make a person look a lot older than they are. If I shaved off my whiskers I'd probably look 40 years old again!!!!! I wish. :lol!:

I've never really bothered growing my beard our much past an inch in length due to the heat here but I've never had complaints about it being "itchy" or anything. I usually only rock the chin strap anyways as my mustache is a step above nonexistent.

My fiance is like you BB, she used to be on the fence about it, but proof that they can be soft, stylish and smell good helped her to turn to the dark side.

I mean beard side :twisted: 

I am totally with you on this one Briarbabe.  Nothing screams MAN to me like some chest hair and some gruff.  My husband doesn't have a beard (he says its itchy...shaves his head for the same reason), but does have a constant  5 o'clock shadow that I love.  

Sexiest actor ever????  Magnum PI.  The stache...the chest hair....mmmmmmm can't get enough.

Briarbabe":q3lpcbhz said:
Fatman":q3lpcbhz said:
My sweetie shampoos and conditions his beard too. You have a lovely beard, by the by.
Thanky! I will be rockin the Santa suit this Holiday season, and will post pics.

docwatson":ha33w2au said:
@Briarbabe
That was one of the best posts I've ever read concerning facial hair, thanks for your comments and preferences. You may be in the minority of women IMO but you certainly know what you like and I applaud you for that. My only thought about beards and moustaches is that they make a person look a lot older than they are. If I shaved off my whiskers I'd probably look 40 years old again!!!!! I wish. :lol!:
My sweetie is one of those gents who has a baby face, being five years my junior I told him if he went clean shaven I'd just feel like a dirty old lady.

scotties22":c12nv0cm said:
I am totally with you on this one Briarbabe.  Nothing screams MAN to me like some chest hair and some gruff.  My husband doesn't have a beard (he says its itchy...shaves his head for the same reason), but does have a constant  5 o'clock shadow that I love.  

Sexiest actor ever????  Magnum PI.  The stache...the chest hair....mmmmmmm can't get enough.
I hear you Scottie. I want some chest hair and some facial hair. And I hear you about Tom Selleck. I was a young kiddo when I got my first crush on him, right along with my mom. She had a coffee mug that said, "Sorry, I'm saving myself for Tom Selleck" It became a joke between one of my step brothers and my step dad to take turns making each other coffee in that mug.

ETA:  I use the word "step" just to clarify and it jars me internally when I type it, as they are my family, period. I never refer to them that way among those who know my family.

Alas, my ability to grow facial hair rivals that of a second-grade girl...all I can bring to the table is aroma of the smoke lingering in/on my clothes. :( 

:lol: Now that's throwing a spanner in the works! Great post, Briarbabe!
Oh, and enjoy being in love! It's magic, ain't it!

Proving -- yet again -- the depth of Freud's despair re: "What do women want?" ** Very hard for guys to tell, unfortunately. Beards? Next they'll want overalls with hammer pockets.

Doesn't part of this depend on what type of beard? ZZTop unkempt? Brad Pitt scraggly? Ahab bushy? Or doesn't it matter?

Or how about the goatee, mostly circular in shape, completely gray, and worn with one of those billed caps with a giant logo for Tractor Supply or whatever on the front. Often this gent also sports a pair of camo camper shorts, sandals and knee high black nylon socks. I think of this as full-AARPee.

Then there's the beard style that is made up of smallish facial hair patches here and there inter-connected by an intricate pattern of very, very, very thin hedgerow beard lines. My missus calls this the "I've Been Spending Waaay Too Much Time Gazing in the Mirror" style.

I'm just guessing that an endorsement of beards might possibly have one or two unspoken caveats. But who knows. I'm just one of the idjits:)

** By the way, Freud needn't have worried so, because Chaucer answered his question a few centuries earlier in , I think, The Wife of Bath's Tale:)

CharlG":ofgbyge4 said:
:lol: Now that's throwing a spanner in the works! Great post, Briarbabe!
Oh, and enjoy being in love! It's magic, ain't it!
That's a saying I've not heard before. Is it the same as a monkey wrench? I'd love an explanation on that one, it's just got a great sound to it.

Yeah, love, this particular brand, is quite unexpected and grand indeed.

KevinM":5c0nn802 said:
Proving -- yet again -- the depth of Freud's despair re: "What do women want?" **    Very hard for guys to tell, unfortunately. Beards? Next they'll want overalls with hammer pockets.

Doesn't part of this depend on what type of beard?  ZZTop unkempt?  Brad Pitt scraggly? Ahab bushy? Or doesn't it matter?

Or how about the goatee, mostly circular in shape, completely gray, and worn with one of those billed caps with a giant logo for Tractor Supply or whatever on the front. Often this gent also sports a pair of camo camper shorts, sandals and knee high black nylon socks. I think of this as full-AARPee.

Then there's the beard style that is made up of smallish facial hair patches here and there inter-connected by an intricate pattern of very, very, very thin hedgerow beard lines.  My missus calls this the "I've Been Spending Waaay Too Much Time Gazing in the Mirror" style.

I'm just guessing that an endorsement of beards might possibly have one or two unspoken caveats. But who knows. I'm just one of the idjits:)

** By the way, Freud needn't have worried so, because Chaucer answered his question a few centuries earlier in , I think, The Wife of Bath's Tale:)
Hahaha! We don't even know what we want most of the time, how on earth are we supposed to tell you blokes!?