Pipes and Cigarettes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
I smoke cigarettes. I hate them but the addiction is strong. I recently switched to American spirit ultralites and I find that that I am less addicted and I reach for the pipe more. now here's the strange thing, I am enjoying my pipe tobacco much more. the flavors seem better even though I have a * ahem* sensitive palate. I am wondering ijust how much more my sense of taste and smell will adjust as I quit? my goal for being cancer stick free is the chicago pipeshow. anyone else experience this?

Your experience reflects my own. I began smoking, smoking a pipe, for some strange reason, maybe convenience I picked up cigarettes, hey they are easier. I smoked cigarettes for about 25 years. I still smoked pipes from time to time but not consistently over all those years. I finally decided to quite the cigarettes, by slowly smoking pipe more often. It took me about 3 years back and forth to do this. I am finally free of cigarettes and have been for nearly 4 years! :cheers:

Once in a great while over morning coffee I miss a cigarette, but mostly I hate them and Ive not given into the temptation.

Not only did I find that I enjoyed the taste of the pipe more, I enjoyed the taste of EVERYTHING more! No filthy ashtrays in every room, no stinking truck interior, no spending $35/week on cartons of cigarettes (they are probably even more expensive now), just my friends (my pipes).

I encourage you to do this, dump the cigarettes as quickly as you can, you'll have more money for pipes and REAL tobacco, you'll enjoy the taste of everything more.

:pipe:

:oops: Ashamed to say I am in the same situation as Vaperflavor. Am now at the point that I can stretch a carton of cigs out to 2 weeks. Have tried rolling my own as well. D&R tobacco has a great perique blend for rolling. Problem was I got to liking them too well. I really enjoy my pipes and I have a feeling that SCHIP on 4/1 will probably force me to stay with the pipe only come hell or high water. This will send a carton to over $50.00 up here in WI. All I can think about is how much tobacco I can buy for that amount of money. Plus the fact that I have about 60 lbs. in storage aging. At my age I may not livve long enough to smoke what I have collected. Vapers at 3-5 years of age are just heavenly. Best regards to all,
Alan Stevenson
Wausau, WI

First, let me commend all of you for weaning yourselves off ciggys and enjoying your pipes :cheers: I never had the cig problem (couldn't stand them!!); however, my Dad did. I got him to switch to a pipe, which he smoked for about 25 years before quitting altogether.

I do have one curious question for all of you who have transitioned from nicotine nails to a pipe!! Do you inhale while smoking , or not?? :?: :pipe: FTRPLT

And....Alan, we share the same dilemma with age vs. amount of tobacco "aging!" But I just can't keep from buying more!! "So much tobacco, so little time :lol: !!

My story is similar to Kilted1. In the early 90's my wife quit smoking and declared out house "smoke free". In support of her, I smoked outside and decided I may as well quit cigaretts too.

I haven't smoke cigarettes since... but I am a heavy pipe smoker. I go through a couple tins a week...

I started smoking cigs when I was 12 years old and sorry to sayI still do. Sincce I started the pipe I have cut the amount in half or more except for the last few months but I'm in the process of cutting back and hopefully cut it out completely. Just the pipe would be fine with me. I think it would increase the pleasure and taste of the pipe.

hi vaperfavour i was 3 pack a day cig smoker what help me out was i gave the cig up and started to add a little roll your own tobacco in my pipe i mixed it with some PS navy flake it was pretty good and it help me stop th e cig smoking

If indeed my math is correct:

Think of it this way, in the average US king size manufactured cigarette you are getting about .035 ounces of ‘tobacco’, only about 60% of which is actually leaf tobacco (the rest being filler such as homogenized sheet tobacco, puffed stem, chip, and so forth). Thus, you get about .021 ounces per cigarette, or about 4.2 ounces of leaf tobacco per carton. Assuming you are paying $50 per carton, that means you are paying about $11.90 per ounce, or $190 per pound.

Even if, say, you are spending $50 per pound of pipe tobacco, the difference is astronomical. Plus it has the added advantage of not being mixed with all those nasty fillers (not to mention all the other crap which is added, both in the mix and in the paper and filter elements).

RYO (or in this case, SYO) is a bit different, in that we are talking about 100% leaf tobacco (and some darn good ones such as Mark Ryan’s blends at D&R). Here, with SCHIP you will be paying about $40 per pound, which still beats by a long shot the federal excise tax increase on pre-packaged Big Tobacco cigarettes.

my main reason for picking the pipe back up a while back was to quit cigs. i kept getting nasty chest colds that lasted from fall to spring. at 1st i smoked 10+ bowls/day, usually high nic blends like 5 Bros., Irish Flake, Univ. Flake. now almost a year later i smoke around 3 bowls/day & no cigs. i've never inhaled the pipe as to me that defeats the purpose. i've been chest cold free this winter, so it seems like it's worked. i do keep some nasal snuff on hand for when i'm at work & don't feel like going out for a smoke.

I guess you could say that I am in the same boat but rather with dipping snuff and chewing tobacco. Been doing it since I was 9 yr. old. I believe I could easily quit if the public was more pipe friendly. I never could stand cigarettes but I have always loved other forms of tobacco as mentioned above. The snuff satisfies the nicotine addiction but I really wouldn't mind quiting if for nothing else just the economic factor. I usually dip 1.5 cans a day as well as smoking several pipes in between when I can.

Unfortunately I still smoke cigarettes...:( I started when I was 12 and my addiction is really strong. I smoke only outdoors or when I'm not at home and don't have the time for a bowl. I almost never smoke cigarettes at home, only pipe. Unfortunately when I leave my place I almost always reach for a "coffin nail" just to satisfy my need of nicotine and the urge of having smoke in my mouth :x
I hope to quit cigs some day but I will really need to change my habits ang get more comfortable about smoking a pipe in public- it's not a problem for me but I haven't quite gotten used to it yet... :oops:
P.S. let me say that I love the taste of pipe tobacco and I hate the smell of cigarettes... But I think it will take a lot of effort for someone to persuade me that a cup of hot, black coffee and a Davidoff cigarette early in the morning is not a great pleasure.... 8)

I'm currently smoking cigarettes along with the pipe, and currently making the transition to the pipe exclusively. The best thing about taking up the pipe again is it makes the cigarettes taste like complete garbage! I've cut the cigarette consumption to about a third of what I was smoking, and I've switched to RYO/MYO. This is a big improvement in flavor, but they're still only cigarettes and can't compare with the flavor of a pipe tobacco. Besides, I don't want them to taste TOO good if the idea is to quit them! Peter Stokkebye and D&R make some very tasty cigarette shag. I haven't set any time constraints on quitting, that seems to be taking care of itself. A forty year, three pack a day habit isn't going to go away overnight.

Hey Yooper!! Good for you :D Tryin' to kick a forty-year habit is damn tough; I'm proud of ya'!! :cheers: Keep puffin' that pipe :D :pipe: FTRPLT

I quit cigarettes cold turkey...I guess it's been 20 years ago now. Maybe 21. I was up to 3 or 4 packs a day of Malrboro Red, Winston, Camel Filters and light varions. They just got so nasty tasting I was switching around all the time. I never really inhaled them,. But I had to have one lit all the time. I can remember liking the smell of cigs back in the 1960's and 70's. But somewhere they changed something and they became terrible things. Burning paper that irritated my allergies and burnt my eyes. The final straw was a new boss who was known for constantly bumming cigs. I quit.

I had tried the pipe back in the late 1970's and early 80's. Never found success. Picked it up again in 2003 after the doc made a medicine change for diabetes and I suddenly had this craving for pipe tobacco. I always loved the smell of a tobacconist's shop.

Add me to the list of people trying to switch away from the cancer sticks. I hate the damn things, but somehow the 'hit' of a cigarette is all but irreplaceable. I love my pipes, and use snuss (the real stuff from Sweden, not the Camel candy) to take the edge off when I can't or don't want to smoke, but the cigarette habit is pernicious as hell.

well others might find this interesting, I switched to these ultra-lites 3 weeks ago and the first week was tough! I started coughing up dark green phlegm then the second week light green and now clear. something good is happening! I was having real bad mood swings up until a couple days ago, they seem to be subsiding now. just today my sense of smell seems sharper. I had a bowl of Tudor Castle this afternoon that was incredible! two more months to go! I think I am finally going to quit once and for all!

I quit cigarettes cold turkey about 4 years ago .. but i had to ween myself went from Cigs to Cloves which i still occasionally smoke to now just strictly pipes and i haven't looked back. At one point i was smoking 2 packs of camel wides a day.

I got myself off cigs by 1 quiting the job that started me smoking them in the first place and 2 by taking up the pipe. I guess I'm in the same boat as the lot of us.

Nasal snuff gives the "rush" similar to what the ciggy smoker is after,almost instant
nicotine surge after sniffing a pinch first thing in the morning.Lots of people have gotten away from the cigarettes by switching to fine imported snuff. 8)

Winslow :sunny: