Pipes and Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold a flame under the ash and do 2 - 3 long exhales through it.

It's magic. Decreases the toxicity factor to near zero and it tastes like it did at the 1-inch mark again.

I kid you not.

FWIW

:face:

Yak":8bpck02l said:
Hold a flame under the ash and do 2 - 3 long exhales through it.

It's magic. Decreases the toxicity factor to near zero and it tastes like it did at the 1-inch mark again.

I kid you not.

FWIW

:face:
Speaks the truth! we can it a purge around here. Anytime hy cigar starts tasting bitter or acrid I blow a couple od strong breaths through it. It burns up all that accumulating gunk and really refreshes the flavor.

I switched from cigars to pipes a few years ago in response to family comments about the room note. (They actually said "stink" of course.) They said that the pipe smoked by a relative (a cherry aro) smelled a lot better than my cigars. I still have 2 humidors filled with cigars, including one full of the aforementioned La Gloria. Have tried one in the last 2 years and was disappointed.

The family is disappointed, too. Of the 4-5 tobaccos in my regular rotation none is an aro and they still burn smelly candles or banish me to the outdoors.

I keep the cigars properly humidified just in case but I suspect they will all be smoked by friends or relatives at parties and such.

I've been an advid cigar smoker for over 25+ years. I have dabbled with pipes on and off for almost 15 now, but nothing close to my cigar smoking.

I find cigars, much easier to smoke and don't run into tongue bite issues. However, lately I have been on a huge pipe craze. The variety of pipe tobacco far exceeds what can be done with a cigar and let's not even get into the cost factor. :x

I definitely think there is a time and place for both and as others have said, for me a pipe is more for when i'm alone and relaxing versus a cigar is more of a social thing.

I haven't had a cigar in 3 days now and that is something for a guy that smoked 2-4 per day. :affraid:

I'm definitely improving my pipe smoking technique but still have a long way to go. But i'm now discovering flavors in pipe tobacco and appreciating Vapers much more than ever before. I was definitely looking for a pipe tobacco to match the flavor profiles and satisfaction I got from a cigar, but I no longer find the need for that and am fully satisfied after smoking a pipe.

I've always had a tendency to fluctuate myself. I love a good cigar and have spent a few years in the past obsessed with them. I even sold them for a little while. I've been steadily on the pipe for a few years now, but recently I've heard my cigars calling for me again. I've been smoking a cigar on my walk to work for the last few days and have been enjoying them immensely. I still smoke my pipe in the evenings or intermittently while I'm working on a pipe at home, though.

I think that one aspect of the pipe that really appeals to me, is the overall personal satisfaction I get from smoking a pipe. I say this, because smoking a pipe properly and experiencing a great smoke, is no easy feat.

At first, everything that can go wrong usually does. Then, little by little, you refine your technique, find the right tobaccos, and learn individually how to dry and load them in the pipe.

To me it seems that ribbon cuts are easiest to dry and smoke, so it is a given that flakes are a more advanced tobacco to learn to smoke properly.

I think for the pipeman who is willing to stick out the steep learning curve, the pipe will be much more rewarding than a cigar.

Plus, it really chaps my ass to pay $17 for a cigar that burns unevenly, when I could have had a tin of Christmas Cheer for the same amount of money.

Additionally, I get much more satisfaction placing a new pipe in the rack, vs. placing a new box of cigars in the humidor. Just the thought that I won't have anything left after I smoke the box of cigars is kinda a bummer.

Through their automated process, I was solicited to review a tobacco. So, I did. Gave it 2 stars and attempted to be both critical and positive where deserved. Apparently, the process isn't as automated as I assumed. The review has never been posted to the site, though I did successfully submit it. Causes me to question how legitimate the reviews are on the site. Amazon is infamous for the reviews being less than trustworthy. We're supposed to assume, in 2016, to not believe anything we read on the internet. Fine. I get it. But there is something especially wonky about a site that filters negative reviews, or at least limits the number of negative reviews. There are three other 2-star ratings. Maybe four is too many? I'm not much of a fan of the conspiracy theorist types, so on another level this is bugging me. I don't want to be that guy, but here I am. Don't solicit reviews if you have a system that screws with the numbers and/or opinions. Pretty simple. I can't understand any other explanation for why it hasn't posted. It's been a while now.

Zeno Marx":6wwomcty said:
Through their automated process, I was solicited to review a tobacco.  So, I did.  Gave it 2 stars and attempted to be both critical and positive where deserved.  Apparently, the process isn't as automated as I assumed.  The review has never been posted to the site, though I did successfully submit it.  Causes me to question how legitimate the reviews are on the site.  Amazon is infamous for the reviews being less than trustworthy.  We're supposed to assume, in 2016, to not believe anything we read on the internet.  Fine.  I get it.  But there is something especially wonky about a site that filters negative reviews, or at least limits the number of negative reviews.  There are three other 2-star ratings.  Maybe four is too many?  I'm not much of a fan of the conspiracy theorist types, so on another level this is bugging me.  I don't want to be that guy, but here I am.  Don't solicit reviews if you have a system that screws with the numbers and/or opinions.  Pretty simple.  I can't understand any other explanation for why it hasn't posted.  It's been a while now.

And this has how to do with your choice of either cigars/pipes ?  :twisted:

Anyone else having problems with their website crashing your browser? I can't do anything on their site without it crashing Firefox. Indefinite lockup. I guess I won't be ordering from P&C. But yeah, anyone else running into problems there?

Works for me, with Firefox. Loaded and unloaded cart. Man, most of the stuff I want is backordered. Wonder what's going on there? Smells like liquidation to me.

Richard Burley":2jhg3z8t said:
Works for me, with Firefox. Loaded and unloaded cart. Man, most of the stuff I want is backordered. Wonder what's going on there? Smells like liquidation to me.
That has been my inference as well. Nothing restocked, sales on 'their most popular stuff' that I've not heard of that is half price, Or special pricing that is the same as most other retailer's regular prices. Packaging bulk offerings in tins.

Do you smell that?

BOGO's on pipes soon!

I smoke both but enjoy a pipe more. I tend to smoke a cigar when a pipe is too inconvenient like when mowing grass.

HA! What a bonehead move I done did here. Context is everything...and I missed it with a bellyflop into an empty pool.