• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Brothers of Briar and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
I just spoke with Cliff Nelson, the editor of P&T, and he told me that the Spring issue will be the final issue. Very sad news.

Now that just plain sucks . . .

State, Federal and FDA attacks on smoking now this? Why do I feel we will be growing our own tobacco and processing for pipes but in a few years you will be able to pick up Mary Jane at the local 7/11?

Sad but perhaps not so surprising.

Pipe smokers make up about 1/2 of one percent of smokers in Canada, and only slightly more in the USA. It's a tiny tiny market, capable of supporting fewer and fewer players. I can guess that the market will continue to shrink thanks to increasingly stringent regulation and the general trend away from tobacco use in general.

ontariopiper":97vedqzo said:
Sad but perhaps not so surprising.

Pipe smokers make up about 1/2 of one percent of smokers in Canada, and only slightly more in the USA. It's a tiny tiny market, capable of supporting fewer and fewer players. I can guess that the market will continue to shrink thanks to increasingly stringent regulation and the general trend away from tobacco use in general.
Yup.

Guess I shouldn't have renewed for 2 years last fall :roll:

Isn't the review site related to the pipesmagazine forum? If so it seems unlikely that it will shut down as the forum seems to be healthy enough.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":4ph3s7zi said:
Isn't the review site related to the pipesmagazine forum? If so it seems unlikely that it will shut down as the forum seems to be healthy enough.
Hopefully the ads on both generate enough $ to keep them interested when they aren't connected to an active magazine.

DrT999":p90v38pl said:
Brewdude":p90v38pl said:
Hopefully the ads on both generate enough $ to keep them interested when they aren't connected to an active magazine.
You never know what a new owner will do. I've seen new owners of something profitable close it down because they had no interest in it. I'm not certain the new owners care about TR. I could be wrong about that, though.

Btw, I heard that people who have subscriptions to P&T will get refunds on unfilled subs when the time comes.

JimInks":dcyfikyc said:
DrT999":dcyfikyc said:
Brewdude":dcyfikyc said:
You never know what a new owner will do. I've seen new owners of something profitable close it down because they had no interest in it. I'm not certain the new owners care about TR. I could be wrong about that, though.

Btw, I heard that people who have subscriptions to P&T will get refunds on unfilled subs when the time comes.

Nope, one never knows what will happen. & thanks for the info on the subscriptions

Lee Pattison":xiaktrpg said:
  Not all gloom mates eBay trade would indicate we may have multiplied under deep cover!
There certainly seems to be more buying and selling of estate pipes on the ole' Fleabay, and more people interested in learning to refurbish them too. It's encouraging but I don't think it's ultimately going to spawn a movement large enough to affect public policy. Certainly not here in Canada anyway.