Pipes vs. Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I used to smoke cigars regularly and pipes only very occasionally. Within about the last 6 or so months I completely swapped my frequency of both, now smoking pipes regularly and rarely cigars. A few of my reasons are... the variety and flavors of pipe tobaccos, I feel are far better than cigars. If I don't have time to finish a whole bowl I can save it for later (relighting a cigar is just yuck). Even if I don't smoke the rest of the bowl later and just dump it the cost of dumping half a bowl is a fraction of that of a half a cigar. I really enjoy the fact that storing pipe tobacco if far simpler than cigars, just toss it in a jar, cap it, and good to go.

I too made a transition between pipes and cigars, once I quit smoking cigarettes. I found myself "drinking" cigars--inhaling the smoke as one would with a cigarette--rather than sipping the smoke like I do with a pipe. Overall I feel better, and I believe piping to be a more health-conscious choice. There is also a more involved process in smoking a pipe, which I appreciate. Rather than just taking whatever's in the cigar and smoking it, there's a chance to blend tobaccos, to load the bowl to one's preferences, and for all that's involved in piping, I do feel it's easier to keep tobaccos and pipes more organized.

I'm not against the occasional cigar, but as a habit, I much prefer pipes.

Pipes most of the time; a good cigar (of which I have many) when I'm in the mood for one!! I don't inhale either; but do enjoy both!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Smoked cigars '91 until the boom in '97 and pipes until '04, back to cigar until '12 then pipes until '15. Smoked a lot of cigars since then and now since last summer I smoke maybe a cigar rarely. Pretty much full time piper now and I doubt it will flip back again.

Same here! I have fridgedor full of cigars but rarely smoke them anymore. I have more fun smoking and collecting pipes and tobacco. Plus, the pipe smoke doesn't linger and cover my man cave with stink like cigars do!

I think it’s the English Gentleman’s style.  There’s typically a pipe clenched & smoldering at most any time of the day/week.  But on occasions like after dinner over billiards at the club or with a Brandy...it’s a good cigar.  Maybe call it the Dinner At Eight Plan.

Well, it’s one plan anyway.  There are likely other plans.

I gotta admit I have numerous humidors with cigars that have been neglected for years.  Can’t really call it aging any longer.  It’s more like abandonment.  I currently reserve cigars for social occasions and/or circumstances. Going to Carmel Valley next weekend for a three day mini vac. Cigars will play a roll in the event.

Used to be a huge cigar guy. Huge, I tell ya! Had a totally embarrassing number of sticks.

One day I just lost the taste. Dunno why. Went back to the pipe and never looked back. Sold virtually all my stash for pennies on the dollar.

Now have a cigar once/yr or so and while it tastes good it won't inspire me to buy more.

Oh well. <shrug>

Cheers,

RR

For me it’s a convenience thing. Sometimes a company thing. I smoke what fits the mood mostly. Personally, I smoke my pipes in my cave. The variety of flavors, strengths and pipes is infinitely more interesting to me. My brothers prefer cigars when they’re over. So, I keep both handy. I will say though, I do have sticks in my humidor that I keep strictly bc other people like them. Lighter ones mostly.

The social element of sophisticated smoking is truly one of the great bonuses of the hobby, huh?

My experience has been to rotate between mostly cigars with the occasional pipe, to mostly pipes with the occasional cigar. There seems to be about a yearly rotation between them. However, the "mostly cigars" period is getting shorter through time, perhaps from the cost difference?

Natch

I am slowly burning through the cigars and under 200 now probably. Sold off one humidor and still have a large 1500 count cabinet to sell. I am slowly migrating to the pipe and want to smoke it more, once it warms up around here. My tin collection is growing and hope to find a great blend to warrant a bulk purchase one day.

This is my go to site for information anymore. I was on the Nub Live and Herfers Paradise and CA but those have gone now or changed. I spend a good bit of time reading old topics which are interesting and informative.

I sold cigars in the French Quarter just when the boom was starting out. I surfed the cigar wave until its bust, realizing it is just too much for too little these days. Don't get me wrong a Padron Aniversario is still one of my favorite things to smoke in the world. But pipes are much more accessible. Bust yourself a bit with a good pipe and the rest is just tobacco, much much cheaper than cigars.

Let's take that favorite- Padron Aniversario. I just saw it at smoking pipes for twelve a stick. Funny how my favorite tin, Escudo, is roughly the same price. And that one smoke of a cigar is at least twenty smokes or more from the tin. The math just adds up for pipes.

Nor is busting that bad either. I just got into Falcon pipes, got my pipe friend into them too. We love them and at 48 for a bowl and stem they are a very satisfying and cool smoke.

The only thing that wierds me about pipe tobacco is when I see United States tobacco going to Europe for blending. You got to know that leans on the price.