Pipesand Cigars.com Match DIY kits

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score

My opinion is solely based on the MATCH Presbyterian kit and has no bearing on whether the Match is similar to MATCH Presbyterian, identical or miles apart. The kit is to make one pound. It arrived in three bags. There is no way to tell what exactly is in each of the bags. It could be the mix of MATCH Presbyterian divided up into three bags or three separate mixes, etc. Foolish me, I thought, perhaps, the components would be separate and identified, so I'd know how to tweak it, but no such luck, and I do understand why. Why would a retailer share a successful recipe?

I'll be interested on your thoughts/opinions of the Presby Match. I smoke it on occasion; still have several ounces. My personal thought is it's lighter bodied than the Original Presby (of which I have several older tins); although a good smoke unto itself! FWIW...FTRPLT

Earlier, I ordered 8 oz., thinking I'd get a kit. It didn't come as a kit, but one bag of 8 oz. As one who prefers a latakia dominant blend, to me it appeared to be primarily Virginias with some orientals. Supposedly, it has some latakia, but it was trace in the 8 oz. bag. So, I tried again, ordering a 16 oz. kit. As I wrote previously, it came in three bags, the contents of which were indistinguishable, one from the other. I mixed them together and the blend got basically what I'd received in the 8 oz. bag. For me, it's kind of okay. Dominant (non-stoved) Virginia blends usually give me tongue bite, unless they've been aged for a very long time. I rarely smoke the original, but during my 50+ years of pipe smoking, I'd guess I've smoked all three iterations and at times went on a binge.
I think those who enjoy the current original blend may like the Match for what it is, a cheaper facsimile.

Last edited: