Pipeworks & Wilke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
Anyone ordered from Carole? There is no tobacconist within about 300 miles of here so I'd really like to find someone I can develop the tobacconist/smoker relationship with. I've read some stuff about her shop and it sounds like she remembers her customers and helps even custom blend things to their liking. Been wanting to give her a call, but didn't want to bug her during the holidays, plus had some stuff that I needed to smoke before buying more.

Just curious since I hadn't seen anything on the board.

I've ordered from her twice and she was friendly and professional, seemed to really know her tobacco. I like their Dummerston and their Nut Brown Burly, so I've ordered pounds of them. They also have some sampler options to try a number of their blends.

Natch

Carole makes one of my favorite smokes, Nut Brown Burley. It's a terrific smoke, has a nice aroma, and the best pouch scent of any tobacco I've smoked.

Smokey

Yeah I've heard her burley blends were incredible, which is what made me look her direction. I'll give her a call maybe this week and see what she recommends. Looking for something that has an aroma that won't get me kicked out of the house, but yet still full of flavor.

Great Lady to deal with JJ! I highly recommend doing business with her. I have only bought pipes from her but I have tried some of their tobaccos and they are excellent.

JJPHOTO":8t620xd7 said:
Yeah I've heard her burley blends were incredible, which is what made me look her direction. I'll give her a call maybe this week and see what she recommends. Looking for something that has an aroma that won't get me kicked out of the house, but yet still full of flavor.
Check out Puff Daddy's famous thread: http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/the-post-hall-of-fame-f21/the-dark-side-t1213.htm

It addresses your concerns with some interesting solutions. I just add some heavy-weight plug or rope to one of the better P&W aromatic blends and both ends of the pipe smell/taste great.

Natch

I'd actually read that thread before and had me tinkering with the idea of trying to put something like my haunted bookshop in with my aros to give them more body, but the wife always picks up on the cigarette smell left by a burley.

Can you fill me in on the "rope" PD mentions? I found this, http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=4016 which seems to be a rum flavored dog turd from what I can gather from the picture and description.

Kinda why I was leaning towards Carole - figured I couldn't be the only one with this dilemma and has a quick fix for a custom blend. My wife is extremely sensitive to the ashtray smell left behind when smoking anything but the aros. I go outside and enjoy my non-aros, but it's nice to be able to pack my grandpa's ginormous Savinelli and puff away for hours while watching a movie with her (made it almost through Lawrence of Arabia the other night on one bowl!) Sitting outside in the freezing cold by myself for an hour and staring at my retarded corgi gets old after a while.

Plus, she thinks aros are sexy. So I'm all about that. :drool:

Carole is very nice to deal with. If you like Burleys and want to develop a relationship with your tobacconist then you might want to consider Uhles. Nicest people I have come across so far. First time I called I talked to Chris, Uhles Blender, and we talked for about 15mins. Very nice , very knowledgeable and a great sense of humor to boot. Sent me some free samples and emails me occasionally. Haven't talked to the owner but I understand that he is equally nice and helpful. Uhles has been at it since 1939. Their Burley blends are great particularly if you like cube cuts. They have a few that the Misses might not object to. That reminds me, I need to call them and put in an order.

I think the pipeworks and wilke aros are more subtle than some others,,,, more a firm suggestion of casing rather than an overwhelming blast ,,,great people,,,

JJPHOTO":5bxygqap said:
Anyone ordered from Carole? There is no tobacconist within about 300 miles of here so I'd really like to find someone I can develop the tobacconist/smoker relationship with. I've read some stuff about her shop and it sounds like she remembers her customers and helps even custom blend things to their liking. Been wanting to give her a call, but didn't want to bug her during the holidays, plus had some stuff that I needed to smoke before buying more.

Just curious since I hadn't seen anything on the board.
I've gotten some Nut Brown Burley but haven't purchased anything else. I prefer a wider selection. I would recommend Habana Premium at www.pipesandcigars.com

JJPHOTO":3nwisvhz said:
There is no tobacconist within about 300 miles of here so I'd really like to find someone I can develop the tobacconist/smoker relationship with.
Please give my supplier a try. "Randy" is one nice fella who gives AAA+ service with low
cost prices. http://www.wvsmokeshop.com/index.aspx

I've had a " relationship" with "Randy" for 3 yrs now always finding my needs met
almost before I tell them. I call or e-mail (his site has a order section too) whenever
I need something finding it on my doorstep in a flash.

Note: this is NOT to take away from Carole at P&W at all. The OP wanted names
of tobacconist that he could " develop the tobacconist/smoker relationship with"
and my suppler also qualify's in that regard.

I ordered from them a few times. Their Rumcake is one of my favorite aromatic blends.

JJPHOTO":j911q1xh said:
I'd actually read that thread before and had me tinkering with the idea of trying to put something like my haunted bookshop in with my aros to give them more body, but the wife always picks up on the cigarette smell left by a burley.

Can you fill me in on the "rope" PD mentions? I found this, http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=4016 which seems to be a rum flavored dog turd from what I can gather from the picture and description.

Kinda why I was leaning towards Carole - figured I couldn't be the only one with this dilemma and has a quick fix for a custom blend. My wife is extremely sensitive to the ashtray smell left behind when smoking anything but the aros. I go outside and enjoy my non-aros, but it's nice to be able to pack my grandpa's ginormous Savinelli and puff away for hours while watching a movie with her (made it almost through Lawrence of Arabia the other night on one bowl!) Sitting outside in the freezing cold by myself for an hour and staring at my retarded corgi gets old after a while.

Plus, she thinks aros are sexy. So I'm all about that. :drool:
Ah, corgi's, the dogs you can't tell if they're standing up or laying down. My favorite corgi joke:

A Scotsman walks into a pub near Buckingham Palace and orders a pint and two shots of whiskey. The barkeep brings them over and asks if he's OK, as he looks so tired and frazzled. Re replies, "I'm the keeper of the royal corgi's at the Palace and I tell you, between the years of being spoiled and all the inbreeding, they have become a race if mean idiots." He slams down a shot and adds, "and the dogs aren't that smart either".

Natch

I usually don't smoke aromatics, but when I get the craving I have a stash of 191, Rumcake, and Grammercy Park. I have a couple briar and cob pipes dedicated to them because the aroma will stick to them. Good smokes all; burn nice and even; LBW loves the room note; good for smoking in mixed company; and I can sneak inside the house with it for a cocktail refill without getting any complaints.

D'.

Nice one Natch... here are some pics of the idiot for ya.

DSCF0567.jpg

DSCF0571.jpg

It may be a cultural thing but as fellow Texan, I find Carole to be moody and not easy to work with myself. First off she does not have a shop, she operates in a above the garage apartment. She sold the shop when her father died. I won't do business with her myself, I want my vender to treat me like a valued customer and she did not several times. While she can be nice it is rare.

She does mix up some nice tobaccos but they all have a certain taste in them I don't care for and they are too mild for me. I have to add to them to enjoy. Try Puffers or more buyer friendly shops.

Earl

I have had great dealings with Carole of PW&W, I like my aromatics mild in flavor so her blends work for me. I usually keep on hand #13, Churchill, #515 & Mettowee in case some are interested in trying a sample of those. Her sense of humor to me is very new england :)

I've loved every interaction I've had with Carole; she attends to the customer but she can get very busy. Love the blends with unique oriental treatments and her willingness to sell blending components. Will keep her and her blends readily available at all times!

Just got off the phone with Carole. I ordered some of that No. 191 blend I've heard a little about. She is super nice, friendly, and helpful and made sure I knew that today was one of her shipping days and that I should have it in a couple of days. Can't wait to give it a try.

I have only purchased pipes from Carole and I have had nothing but awesome experiences when doing business with her. She has an outstanding selection of estate pipes that are fabulous deals!