Pipex 3 [change of look due to defects]

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid.Stavros

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Pipex 3 pipe with no good grain and a big dark mark on the left side so one day i decide to make her rustic so those things wouldn't be visible.

277672410757276a68fd966e110b67fe68780013.jpg

Unfortunately due to my pc problem last year many photos are gone and i never manage to retrieve them so i haven't got the ''left side'' photos to see the bad grain and the dark mark.

27767240ffc2053a3c8a76578603d8eac3bd3d8a.jpg

This is the final result and to be honest i am not happy. I have done some experiments with ''duo tone'' contrast and i am not satisfied with the results.
What's your opinion?

You can see the procedure with step by step photos here: https://pipe-smoke.blogspot.com/2010/02/8.html
The pipe code is: M8-3

or in a video with music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgH0annIZc

Ladies & Gentlemen thank you for watching!  
1757601007405ab375c0aa29d9ae6479c8c812af.gif

Sid, sorry to hear you're not happy with the results. It looks like a real improvement over where you started though. Contrast staining can be a real bear to mess with. All I can suggest is to keep your eyes open you may find something that will give you the results you want in strange places. I had one I ended up using brown India ink on because stains just looked muddy. Good luck in your search. Oh and I think it turned out beautiful but I'm a bit biased because I know you do great work.

Jim

Thank you Gentlemen! I am not so happy because the lines or rustic are a little bit U shape than _ which means i bent my hand while working so the lines have an inclination. The contrast isn't so good, looks like the bowl has ''facial acne'' with those dark spots.

GeoffC":4ly9lu6p said:
Well it looks great to me!  I guess an artist is never satisfied but I guess I don't know what in your mind's eye you wanted it to look like.  
I am 100% agree with GeoffC, Mr Stravos you create a great pipe starting with a non soul one, at least to my criteria, the results of the stem works are superb.
Congratulations and I hope smoke as well as she looks

I certainly see what you're talking about now that you point it out. Perhaps a quick hit from a wire wheel would help even things out for you. Otherwise I think you might have to just start over on the rustication which honestly could be an even bigger disaster. I still think its a great improvement over the original.

Jim