Plain Burley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAW

Reaction score
As I said in another post I had my hands on a bunch of plain Burley ribbon cut, since I am running away from Captain Black Golden bite tounge I decided to give a try to the less sugar/more nicotine specie.
It cames pretty dry I guess are left over of cigar fabrication, I already smoke a few bowls in different pipes and found it kind of unideimensional flavor (not and expert not even sesoned smoker) but is what I felt, as a cigar smoker is a flavor I used to so no problem with it, mild to my taste but pleasant, wife aproved the room note and this is a plus to me and yes the hit of nicotine is very noticeable but we are smoking tobacco so we can spect some nicotine once in a while, did not we?
Since it was pretty cheap and easy to get I am planing to do some casing or topping (not even know the differences yet) I mean add some flavors and humidity., I would like to adventure my self to press some plugs or cakes.
Any suggestions will be useful and highly appreciated
Thanks in advance

There are several members here who dabble in home blending that will be able to give real advice but I’ve picked up (though not used yet) a noodle press for homemade crumble cakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Newcreativetop-Stainless-Manual-Noodles-Machine/dp/B019P8B1PU

This one was recommended by others and seemed simple enough that not even I could mess it up. Just use wax paper at the end to keep the tobacco/juices from escaping.

Maybe look into bulk Virginia/Perique/Orientals to add to the Burley?

Mixing up a good dressing seems an art form and not sure where best to look for info regarding that.

First of all thanks for the responses.
I have a workshop at home plenty of choices to press the plugs I guess hydraulic press is the way to go :lol!:
What interesting me most is the casing and topping techniques you guy use at home, in my actual circustances the access to foerings goods is limited, I can get stuff from the online vendors but beleive me when I say is a pain in the pockect to say something, in fact I decided to give a try to the corncobs so I am ordering a bag of three senconds and a couple of pouch of tobacco from Missouri Meerschaum but build my tobacco cellar will take long, back to the topic I would like to take advantage of the local products, this will be a faster and cheapper way to experiment.
My orignal plan is steamed the burley ribbons with an infusion of water, rum, cinammon, cloves or anise (few of them at least) then stove the tobacco and keep it in a jard for a period of two weeks to a month.
Another option is topping the burley with the above infusion let it air dry and the press it in to a puck for about two weeks long.
As I originaly said I am not looking to make a winner my goal here is to add some profoundness to the already flatness of plain burley I have, why not have some fun and maybe get a nice smokable tobacco at the end.
What do you think or suggest?

I will give it a good read with a smoking bowl :lol:
Thank you very much GeoffC

Very enlightenment and profound reading you shared with us GeoffC thank you very much.
Beside to be called a dumpster rat :lol!: the Ernie lesson not only clarify some misconceptions about blends and tobacco process but give us some real life recepies to work with.
I will give them a try and let you guys know how it ends

I am back to report some of my results.
After more than a week I cased a bunch of the main Burley I have been smoking, using the suggestions give us by a GeoffC previous post I made a mix of water, sugar, vinager and cloves for the sauce, the ribbons were heated, misted with the sauce and vacum sealed in a jar for about ten days.
What I found was a green tea leaf type aroma and the taste was very similar to what I had before casing maybe and just maybe a little bit less rough, I should confess that after watch the video about how much solution must be using for casing I could end up using less than I should but since this was my first attempt I decided to keep things in the save zone.
I gonna try a couple of bowls more before re-casing to see if can I get a more substantial result.