Plane tickets

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene Adler

Reaction score
I have a dilemma and because some of you fellows seem well travelled, I thought you might be able to help.

I need to buy 3 round trip plane tickets, but they have to line up. Basically, I have to buy them so I can fly to Oklahoma, pick up my son, take him back here, and then fly him back after his visit. Does anyone know the best way to go about that? I don't even know where to start.

I know how to book just one flight. What I'm needing to figure out is how to get the flights to line up.

The easiest way to do it would be to look at expedia.com or the like to figure out the cheapest rates, then call the airline direct and speak to them...

Some things to consider: (1) some airlines charge a fee if you speak with an agent on the phone to book your flight. If you buy 3 tickets on the phone you might pay $25/ticket. (2) Then there is baggage. If you check 1 bag it might be $25 and of course 2 bags are more. Compare checking bags and sending them by UPS.(3) This is a link that discusses unaccompanied minors http://airtravel.about.com/od/childrenandairtravel/tp/UnaccompaniedMinors.htm

Bub":aj9t4i5y said:
Some things to consider: (1) some airlines charge a fee if you speak with an agent on the phone to book your flight. If you buy 3 tickets on the phone you might pay $25/ticket. (2) Then there is baggage. If you check 1 bag it might be $25 and of course 2 bags are more. Compare checking bags and sending them by UPS.(3) This is a link that discusses unaccompanied minors http://airtravel.about.com/od/childrenandairtravel/tp/UnaccompaniedMinors.htm
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I do have military ID, so baggage shouldn't be a problem. =) But my son can't fly unaccompanied until he's older, so for the next few years I get to purchase multiple tickets. It's alright though. He's totally worth it.

I've thought about buying one round trip for myself to cover my flight to pick him up, and then set the return for after I have dropped him off. And then buy the other two tickets together. *shrug*

Don't ever check baggage...lol

there's two types of baggage.. Carry on & lost.

Bub I've never ram into that but in todays world I wouldn't doubt it

Amy, for personal flights I find that calling the airline direct works best. Most of my flights are booked through corporate because I have to. Find out which carriers fly into the airport of destination and call them direct.

puros_bran":bwhf4y4p said:

Bub I've never ram into that but in todays world I wouldn't doubt it
I have flown many many times and have never had a bag lost. I always check a bag so I can have my pocket knives at my destination. :D That is the only reason that I check a bag.

puros_bran":mfu4cfi3 said:

Haha. This past spring they lost my bag and I was without a change of clothes for a whole week.

It sucked.

Amy, I travel a lot and usually book my own flights (I work from home, corporate is in Canada) and have had my best luck with Priceline. Most of the online sites are pretty much the same on prices, Priceline often has discount flights available when the others are sold out. They also let you arrange sequential one-way trips which may help in your situation. Southwest can also be a good airline and pretty good rates on a lot of their flights esp if you book early. You have to book them direct, they don't work through any of the discount sites. Anyway, just another suggestion.

Regarding baggage, if you travel enough and check your bags, eventually they will get lost on you. I have had it happen a few times. However, like JP, sometimes I carry "stuff" that I can't take on the plane so I have to check them. For most business travel I generally travel light and carry everything on with me, just makes time at the airport less hectic and get in and out quickly. Besides, I refuse to pay the baggage charge, another reason I like Southwest.

Delta lost my bag for 36-hours a couple years ago in San Antonio. I was there playing in the world championships for the NBA Hoop-It-Up 3-on-3 tour. So I played the whole first day and a half in the clothes I wore on the plane. Thankfully I was wearing basketball clothes and had put spare everything in my carry on bag, including my ankle braces.

That was the third time in 6-years I have been delayed at least 24-hours in getting my luggage.

I always pack an extra set of clothes including socks and underwear in my carry on bag. You just never know.