PLEASE tell me what else is like Escudo?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Stem

Reaction score
Smoking some well-aged Escudo tonight and MAN this is goood! I think I like this much better than English blends! I've researched this before and the closest I could find based on other opinions was H&H Anniversary Kake (?). I haven't smoked the AK yet but put back a pound of it as well as a bunch (50 or-so) of tins of Escudo. So for those who've smoked it, what else compares?? I'm especially interested in bulk blends.

:pipe:

Fillmore comes to mind -- more refined than Escudo but in the same ballpark.

Go to tobacco reviews dotcom and search VaPers (Virginias with Perique) (which is what Escudo is).

Happy Landings

:face:

Excellent advice gentlemen! Thank you! I followed the advice and did some more research and have ordered Fillmore, Solani 633, and Bayou Morning for the cellar. Not even interested in smoking it new! Nothing like aged VA/PERS!

like escudo? Dunhill deluxe navy rolls. escudo but smoother, less yellow virginny taste. the best vaper I have ever had is hands down the original cope's escudo. that stuff is amazing. pcca's beacon has hints of the original but more virginia. if you ever come across a tin of pcca constantinople, grab it that's my second best. black virginny and perique mmmmmgood. I like my vapers with less than 15 years on them. some vap's lose perique flavor with too much age. or the virginny gets too much sugar. try the 633 even young! heh heh your infor a surprise. give it ten bowls before proclaiming judgement. enjoy.

Sorry, but to my palate nothing is in its class. Sykes Wilford of smokingpipes.com was in love with Haddos (see his review on TR written before his disenchantment), but in the end he gravitated to Escudo and Solani 633 (private correspondence).

There is no VA/Perique except Escudo where the melding of the VA and the Perique is as seamless. The mature VA is incomparable as well, and the tin aroma is intoxicating.

As regards price, JR is your source.

If you find something in bulk that comes close, please post it.

Not identical to Escudo, but worth a run is Peter Heinrich's Curly. It is definitely a purebred Va/Per (and apparently similar to the old Three Nuns?).

I like my Va sweeter yet, and gravitate toward Dark Twist from Mac Baren.

Different again but an excellent tobacco in the unsweetened Va/Per category is Scottish Cake from McConnell.

I really like Davidoff Flake Medallions, it's not an Escudo equal but it is similar. In fact I like it quite a bit better. The addition of the Cavendish really smooths out the flavor without making it taste cheap. Much more refined than Luxury Bullseye Flake IMHO.

There's nothing quite like Escudo, which is also my favorite VAPER. Dunhill Rolls is probably the closest, like someone already said, but the taste is milder. Then again, all my Escudo is pre-2000, therefore the aging factor may be having a significant effect in my comparison.

But if Escudo is what you like, there are several others worth a try. The Solani 633 was already mentioned, as was McConnell's Scottish Flake. Other very good ones along the same lines: Dan Tobacco's Treasures of Ireland: Limerick, Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake, Reiner Long Flake, Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, MacBaren Navy Flake, Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake and Vintage, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Richmond Navy Cut (the latter is not available in the US).

Ooops. What was mentioned was Scottish Cake, not Scottish Flake. Scottish Cake is ready-rubbed and has Perique. I don't think Scottish Flake, which is in flake form, has any Perique in it. Both are outstanding blends which I recommend greatly.

Everyone has their own idea of what is close to another blend. You could spend quite some time looking for that close match.

Don't overlook Telegraph Hill by GL Pease. Dark and sweet with a well balanced perique presence.

For an everyday VA/PR blend in bulk, perhaps McClelland 2015 will work for you. It's not as dark as Escudo. Age will change it quite a bit. Age does wonderful things to most VA/PR blends.

Yes Anniversary Kake is wonderful. Russ Ouelette makes some great Va/Pers.
Sunza bitches, Rolando's Own, and for something a little different, Virginia Spice which has a little cigar leaf thrown in.

Also you should also try Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz. It's a Burley mixture with Perique and Virginina. Very nice smoke.

I very much like SG St. James Flake as well. It is almost on a par as Escudo and easier to find.