Plum Pudding and Maltese Falcon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
Still breaking in my new Savinelli (still new to piping) and packed a bowl of Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding today. Delicious!

Later on I smoked a bowl of GL Pease Maltese Falcon in my MM Country Gentleman.

Any others fans of these blends? Any recs for fans of these?

I tried Butternut Burley the other day, and while everyone enjoyed the smell I felt like the taste was very bland, and my mouth was dry all day afterwards. I guess that's an aro thing, and I'm thinking those aren't for me.

Both are great smokes in my opinion. I really like Maltese Falcon, but it is sort of a special occasion smoke for me. I just don't enjoy latakia every day anymore, but when I want it I want MF.
Mike.

I think Plum Pudding is a brilliant concotion for a once in a while kind of smoke.

It's been a while since I have smoked M. Falcon. I am a fan of many of Greg's latakia's, aside from a few, I have found something to appreciate in every one I have tried.

Drums - I also have and have tried his Six Pence. Also good, no Latakia there. I want to try more GL Pease blends. Any recommendations?

WandererOfWeirdPaths":m7bgurax said:
Drums - I also have and have tried his Six Pence. Also good, no Latakia there. I want to try more GL Pease blends. Any recommendations?
Sure.

There really isn't a bad blend in the GLP stable.  Of the richer Latakia mixtures, I really enjoy smoking Odyssey and Quiet Nights. Of the medium Latakias, Meridian and Kensington. Samarra is quite good as well. For a lighter Latakia, one mixture that I have been really digging lately, that gets absolutely no attention for some reason is Ashbury. It's a great, mellow, nicely balanced smoke with a touch of Latakia messing with your senses in the background. Good stuff.

From the VA range I enjoy Cumberland, Embarcadero, Stratford and Telegraph Hill. Union Square is also quite good if you admire stout earthy flavored, well balanced straight Red Va's. Personally, I prefer sweeter, spicier straight VA's, but I still appreciate what he's done with U.Square. Enough to have a few tins laying around.

I haven't really been able to sink my teeth into any of the latest blends. Typically I am not a fan of liquor cased baccys. Most tend to leave my tongue feeling a bit ragged.

Hey Wanderer,
If you like Plum Pudding and Maltese Falcon (two of my favorites), you might want to give these a try from GLP:

-Westminster
-Gaslight
-Quiet Nights
-Caravan
-Charing Cross
-Chelsea Morning

The last three are what I would call Balkans but (the first three more similar to that dark, spicy flavor of PP and MF), but, all of these are what I would call workhorse blends, that, if you like Latakia (and it sounds like you do), you can smoke all day.

You also might want to try the Two Friends brand, which Pease blended, alongside the late, great, Craig Tarler of Cornell & Diehl. Of the Two Friends brand I have only tried Deacon's Downfall (which is VERY good), but, I hear some of the others are excellent as well, like, English Chocolate. The Deacon's Downfall has a bit of sweetness to it (as well as perique) and is very good. Almost out of that, actually, so, I'll have to order some more soon. Hope that helps.

DrumsAndBeer":4ylou6lr said:
WandererOfWeirdPaths":4ylou6lr said:
For a lighter Latakia, one mixture that I have been really digging lately, that gets absolutely no attention for some reason is Ashbury. It's a great, mellow, nicely balanced smoke with a touch of Latakia messing with your senses in the background. Good stuff.
Nice to see Ashbury get some props! I admit, I haven't paid it much attention for a while, either, until I stumbled upon a ten year old tin a couple weeks ago, and decided to see what wonders time had wrought. Before I knew it, the tin was empty.

A decade did really nice things for it. The orientals became more complex, adding some deeper notes to their tang, and the virginias gained some additional sweetness. With some years behind it, it reminds me just a little of the old State Express London Mixture from Ardath. Different balance, but similar tones. I have always really liked Ashbury young, but now, I really like it old, too.

I really, really like all of Greg's Latweed blends (of course, I'm a Lathead!!). Embarcadero, however; holds a truly warm spot in my heart.  Man, I love good Ginnyweed and non-Latweed Orientals. :cheers: FTRPLT

BTW...Nice to hear from the Dark Lord again :D FTRPLT

I agree about Embarcadero, it's a wonderful blend with some fine Turkish that's for sure, and one of my favorite VA/Oriental mixtures

I have a couple older tins of Ashbury from 2006 out of plain site in the way back of my cupboard. I am seeing how long I can stand to wait before cracking one of them open. ;)  Let's see if I can forget about them a little while longer...:p

I've recently picked up a few more GLP tins. Quiet nights is fantastic, and I really dig Abingdon as well. My friend also sent me a bunch of tobacco samples as a gift, including Chelsea Morning (yet to try) and a sample of a recently opened tin of Renaissance which is amazing.