Pocket watches?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
I looked around and found some wrist watches but no pocket watches. Maybe I didn't look far enough.

Anyone carry a pocket watch? How about some pictures?

I had a period where I was into pocket watches. I always liked them more than wrist watches, as I don't like things on my wrists or fingers. It started by trading pipes for a very nice gold Hamilton. Followed by finding a large Elgin farmer's watch at a flea market for cheap. It was thick and hardy. And this was right at the time when you could still find basic pocket watches in older pharmacies, farm supply stores, and such. I bought one of those for an everyday carry. Most of the movement was plastic, but it was also only around $15. It kept decent time, too. I quickly realized I was out of my financial element. It wasn't a hobby I could really get too deep, and that was discouraging. I sold the Hamilton and kept the other two with hopes of using them. As much as I liked that big ol' Elgin, it was too much in my pocket. Maybe if I'd worn overalls and kept it in the chest pocket I would have used it more. I eventually sold it, and then I gave the $15 watch to someone as a novelty piece who was getting into watches. I love pocket watches, and I understand the appeal. With clocks everywhere and integrated into everything, it's more about being jewelry, and I can't be bothered with that.

This is my grandfather's Elgin. I used to carry it but haven't in years.

CfRBYkTl.jpg

I have my grandfather's pocket watch under a glass presentation case. He wore it every day. Has to be over a century old. I need to look at it closer on my next visit to the den!! FTRPLT

When working on airplanes many moons ago that was all I used. I witnessed a guy wearing a wrist watch with a metal band hit it on the DC power plug in on the side of an old DeHavilland C7A Carabou. It wasn't a pretty sight. Still have somewhere the one my father bought me when I went overseas to work on airplanes back in 1977. Wasn't fancy or expensive, just a simple wind up pocket watch.

Never cared for wrist watches, since I was often up to my elbows in "stuff". Carried a few pocket watches but found I could rely on my accurate innate sense of time
(accurate until DST/ST time changes throw me off for 5 or 6 months.) This is the watch I count on! The P. Viou was one of the first pipes I acquired (Navy, V.N. era) well used, my best example of a 360 flame grain.
fullsizeoutput_1bcc.jpeg