Pod Coffee.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could tolerate instant. My maternal grandmother (deceased, 1951) had a love affair with Nescafe.

Sad story. My maternal grandmother and my immediate family lived upstairs/downstairs in a duplex one block from the MN State Capitol. In 1950, everyone on that city block was told their houses were being taken by the State via eminent domain. We had twelve months to move out. My grandmother, age 72 and widowed since 1936, was overcome by grief that her home was being taken, and died shortly after we were all told to find new residences.
When she's in a hurry my wife will use Nescafe too. But she will only use it if it's imported from Mexico. A gourmet of instant coffee, that has to be a new one!

RSteve…your sadly departed grandmum lived through WW2. I think instant coffee might have been all that was available for a pretty long time.
That could well be. But, downstairs of the duplex, where I lived, my mother used one of those odd double glass bulb stove top drip pots. I have no idea what they were called.

Commonly referred to as a vacuum or siphon coffee maker. Water is boiled below and is siphoned up via vacuum into the top where it mixes with the grounds and then is released back into the lower globe. Fun but to my mind a bit cumbersome.

36D42647-3AB2-46A4-8445-34BF7DB92A93.jpeg

Commonly referred to as a vacuum or siphon coffee maker. Water is boiled below and is siphoned up via vacuum into the top where it mixes with the grounds and then is released back into the lower globe.

1635873547903.png

It looked very much like that but I can't remember how the water was heated.

I want one. What's the chain suppose to do, flush the top?

Last night I made cold brew coffee in this:
1635962652784.png

It's a 51 oz. Bodum cold brew French press. I bought it yesterday at Target. This morning, after plunging, then straining in another filter, I heated 14 oz. in the microwave. It's very good, but too much screwing around. Maybe tomorrow, when I just fill my travel cup from the pitcher that's in the fridge, I'll have forgotten what a fricken' messy clean-up it took. I'd return it, but coffee grounds somehow slipped between the glass carafe and the plastic holder and there's no way to remove the glass carafe from the plastic holder.

I just read the article that BH posted about extraction methods and quantity of caffeine. I'm thinking that because I use almost double the quantity of grounds recommended that I'm still getting plenty of caffeine. I use four heaping coffee scoops of ground coffee for one 14 oz. travel cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Made a major mistake when ordering a 15.6 oz Bialetti induction ready moka pot. I ordered from Amazon Warehouse deals. The pot was described, "as new, packaging distressed" and it was 25% off regular new price. It arrived about an hour ago. Per instructions, I washed it out, then filled it with water for a boil through. Even though the threads aligned, boiling water spit out where the top section met the water reservoir. I thought that I might have cross threaded, misaligned and cooled the pot, filled it again and tested. Same situation. It's already been packaged and labeled to go back to Amazon. I'll drop it at the local Kohl's Amazon counter.

I like to do my cold brew in a large jar. That way I only have deal with the hassle once or twice a week. I just use a large filter bag to put the grounds in.

Steve, did you check to see if there was a gasket present between the two parts? I had that happen to me once, I forgot to replace the gasket after cleaning once.

Steve, did you check to see if there was a gasket present between the two parts? I had that happen to me once, I forgot to replace the gasket after cleaning once.
Yes, that was the first thing I checked. There was a thick silicone gasket. It was obvious that the moka pot had been previously purchased and returned for the same reason.

The Bodum 51 oz. cold brew French press worked fairly well, but it still required pouring the coffee through another filter to remove the fine residue of the grounds. 51 oz. gives me almost four travel cups. I do have a gallon jar and suppose I could make a week's worth of coffee in it.

Last edited:
After using every contrivance to make my morning brew, I'm back to putting 4 scoops of ground coffee in a 16 oz. measuring cup, pouring 14 oz. of boiling water over it, stirring, and letting it sit for a minute, then pouring the mixture into a Bodum decanter, through the Bodum filter that accompanied the decanter.

I don't know how long these have been around, but I've never seen a drip bag. I assume they come in a multi-layered foil/plastic/sealed pouch, so I don't know if they're any better than single drip throwaways in the plastic department. I like the idea.
https://www.teacoffeepackingmaterial.com/what/*Just read they've been around since the 1990s. I'm only 30 years behind the curve.

I have a Keurig thing at the office and have tried a few different types. Green Mountain Dark Magic is good. Bustelo is good. Starbucks Sumatra is great, and I am on my third box of it.

My taste "might" be a little suspect though, because I only drink perk coffee at home. I have had Presto pots over the years, and the basket is a pain. The holes have to be cleared with a toothpick periodically. I switched to Hamilton Beach maybe ten years ago and have been very happy with the (better to my way of thinking) basket design. I prefer the flavor of the perked coffee over drip. FWIW, I also consider OJK an all-day smoke and am currently smoking Picayune in a Grabow pot.

The Bodum 51 oz. cold brew French press worked fairly well, but it still required pouring the coffee through another filter to remove the fine residue of the grounds. 51 oz. gives me almost four travel cups. I do have a gallon jar and suppose I could make a week's worth of coffee in it.
Last night, I threw four scoops of freshly ground coffee in my 14 oz. French press. I poured cold water from the sink in it and stirred, then covered the top with plastic wrap. This morning I plunged, then heated the coffee in the microwave. It really was very good. Then, I had to clean the French press.
I am so tempted to give up on whole bean, grinding, etc. and just buy k-cups on sale and use my Keurig.