Pod Coffee.

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Blackhorse

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Very true. You can also use too fine a grind. I think a medium grind filled into the cup (but not packed tight) so there’s a moderate concave space. If you’re used to doing espresso and tamping the ground coffee down moderately tight...I’d go a bit less than that.

A lot of folks scoff at the K-Cup style brew machines. But if you get one that works well it’s a great tool. Consider: my wife is the manager of a small private commercial insurance brokerage and the office only does regular coffee. So I bought her a Meuller K-Cup brewer for her office...just like the one we have here at home. She uses Community Coffee decaf blend in it. Perfect.

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the machine and the design of the K-cup. We have an old style Keurig that we've been using about 8-10 years (we always use filtered water and do the white vinegar cleaning periodically) we're on a second set of personal K-cups. I have always filed the K-cup level with its top and then press the lid into place. I've never had a problem. If it didn't brew what I thought was the right amount I'd just hit the brew button again. My coffee cup holds 14 oz., so I hit the large cup brew button two times and brew into a French press carafe. The results have always been very satisfying. The only exception was a time or two when we didn't do enough clear water rinses following a vinegar cleaning. Vinegar and coffee...not a good combo 😩 lol.

RSteve

Reaction score
Okay, I confess to being a bit OCD when it comes to using a Keurig style machine. I don't like the thought of old water sitting in the reservoir before I make a cup of coffee with it. I have the smallest Keurig that only holds enough water to make an 8 oz. cup of coffee. When I'm in a rush and use the Keurig, I have to fill it with fresh water.

Reaction score
I'm sure I can't help with the OCD... I would first have to apply the wisdom of "physician heal thyself" and I' not a physician, lol! However, It occurs to me that what ever system you choose, you will normally start with "fresh water" anyway right? Just sayin'. Oh, btw, I just read your post on Thanksgiving Dinner and I like your approach. I usually... I'll finish this thought over on that thread

RSteve

Reaction score
It occurs to me that what ever system you choose, you will normally start with "fresh water" anyway right? Just sayin'.
Not necessarily. Some folks fill their Keurig's reservoir and don't refill until it's empty. The water can sit for days in the reservoir before it's used. I think the largest Keurig holds about three quarts of water.