Podunk, French Style, Onion Soup

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Had a craving for soup.

Started with a pound of ground pork. Didn't have any pork chop trimming. That's why it's Podunk, French style instead of French style.

Browning the pork, added a bit of butter, salt, thyme, black pepper and a bunch of diced garlic. Then three large coarse chopped sweet onions. Sweating those down now. Didn't want to heat up the house with the oven to brown the onions, so I will do it on the stovetop. I'll take the lid off a couple times and get a nice brown. Then deglaze the pan with a bit of broth. I might add a touch of wine, but I am not big on it in the soup.

Cook it all afternoon and at some point add beef stock. Perhaps some chicken stock depending upon the color and taste. Keep it hot till supper time to let the flavors really work together. Serve with some warm French style bread for dipping or crusty for crunch.

Sounds damn good Carlos. We had a cool and rainy weekend up here in the NW and that's one of my favorite times to cook. So that's what I've been doing all weekend. My kid loves it because I just keep bringing her things to eat.

I've made french onion soup from scratch a few times. Starting with bare beef bones and roast them in the oven for a few hours then throw them in a pot with carrots, celery and onions and boil for 12 hours. This makes the richest beef stock that is great on it's own. After straining it I saute up a bunch of walla walla sweets until they start to turn golden. Put them in individual bowls, cover with stock and top with a good french bread sliced to fit the bowl perfectly, top that with grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese. I throw that under the broiler until bubbly and serve. It's so rich a bowl is about all you can handle but damn it's good.

Man that sounds good Carlos! I am a sucker for a good soup.

This afternoon I am cooking a beef brisket and carmelized rainbow trout on the grill in a little homemade sauce with cream sherry, onions and brown sugar. Boiling 1 1/2 pounds North Carolina wild caught shrimp for a cocktail starter. Baked sweet potatos and cooked cabbage on the side.

I love shrimp. Almost picked up a bunch of frozen in the store to play with. But I really wanted soup and didn't want to do a lot of work.

MMMmmm, soup! :drool:

I'm doing some of Grandma's Hungarian stuffed cabbage tomorrow. Half ground beef half ground lamb, browned - garlic, salt, pepper - mix with white rice that's half way cooked (use equal amounts rice and water, cook ten minutes, til not done. cool.).

This mixture gets rolled into blanched cabbage leaves (to make little stuffed rolls) and layed in the crock pot over a bed of strained sauerkraut. On top of that goes a broth made from chicken and beef broth and sweet paprika, let er stew a few hours. Good stuff!!

I too am making some french onion soup. Wife decided a little eariler that she thought it woiuld be good for a late dinner. Onions are almost brown and ready to add the flour and then the broth. MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM. Then it will be time for the cheese and bread and then time to eat.

Hope I don't smell too much like onions in the mourning when I head out to the woods to try and bag a couple squirels. Maybe they like onions and that will attract them.

jhuggett":vwswx10n said:
Now that sounds like a meal JP. What's carmelized trout?
Jason, I just make up a sauce with cream sherry, brown sugar and chopped onions. Maybe a little lemon juice, garlic sometimes. I cook it on the stove top slowly and let it thicken, it's really good if you add chopped pecans but I didn't have any this time. Then as the trout are cooking on the top rack (skin down) I drizzle the sauce on them and let it simmer. I don't know if that is carmelized but that is just what I call it. It came out very tasty!

That French Onion Soup receipt of yours sounds delicious! Home made beef stock.......now that is cooking!

Puff Daddy":mjqkyg75 said:
MMMmmm, soup! :drool:

I'm doing some of Grandma's Hungarian stuffed cabbage tomorrow. Half ground beef half ground lamb, browned - garlic, salt, pepper - mix with white rice that's half way cooked (use equal amounts rice and water, cook ten minutes, til not done. cool.).

This mixture gets rolled into blanched cabbage leaves (to make little stuffed rolls) and layed in the crock pot over a bed of strained sauerkraut. On top of that goes a broth made from chicken and beef broth and sweet paprika, let er stew a few hours. Good stuff!!
Sounds awesome PD!

Carlos":4pwdypoe said:
Had a craving for soup.

Started with a pound of ground pork. Didn't have any pork chop trimming. That's why it's Podunk, French style instead of French style.

Browning the pork, added a bit of butter, salt, thyme, black pepper and a bunch of diced garlic. Then three large coarse chopped sweet onions. Sweating those down now. Didn't want to heat up the house with the oven to brown the onions, so I will do it on the stovetop. I'll take the lid off a couple times and get a nice brown. Then deglaze the pan with a bit of broth. I might add a touch of wine, but I am not big on it in the soup.

Cook it all afternoon and at some point add beef stock. Perhaps some chicken stock depending upon the color and taste. Keep it hot till supper time to let the flavors really work together. Serve with some warm French style bread for dipping or crusty for crunch.
Browned ground pork sounds like the ticket!

The browned ground pork adds that yummy taste you get from good fat. I need to get over to Arthur, IL to the Amish meatlocker and get some of their home-made beef broth. It has that wonderful yummy taste too.