Police just drove up while smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipeguywes

Reaction score
I was sitting in a large park with no one around me in a chair I had brought smoking my pipe. the policeman drove up on the grass behind me and said you look really comfortable sitting there. Are you smoking tobacco? I laughed and said yes i am, I am 55 years old, My days of smoking anything else in a park are long past. He said well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but smoking that pipe is going to cost you $100.00 in a citation. It is against the law apparently to smoke in a city park or trail. I told him honestly officer I had no idea and the reason I am out here at the far end of the park, to make sure and not bother anyone with my second hand smoke. he told me he would let me off with a warning this time, Which is nice.
Now since I work in a office I have nowhere to smoke anywhere else close. Very frustrating to say the least

:x :evil: :evil: :evil: :x

That was nice of the officer but my blood boils when i hear stuff like that...makes me angry and fearful for whats to come.

Smoking in the car becomes a wife issue, LOL
Boy that sure makes me sound whipped
But not smoking in the car also creates peace and harmony

You outlaw! He shouldda tazed yer ass. :lol!:

Some day, we'll be smokin' Prince Albert in a bong.
"Honest officer, it ain't tobacco." :|

Married life involves compromise.

Sacramento might be ready for a "smoking club" that is open for lunch. Is there a pipe shop within walking distance of the office?

I am glad that the officer didn't write you a ticket. It is a shame that you can't smoke well away from others in a park that YOUR tax dollars helped to build. I understand about the wife issue. That is why I don't smoke in the house. However, my wife will let me smoke in my truck if I smoke a pleasing aromatic and crack a window so the smoke doesn't get in her face. She likes the smell, just not the actual smoke.

Bummer. Sucks to hear that the police are actually making time to be out enforcing stuff like this when they should be handling problems related to actual crimes being committed by actual criminals.

Nothing close enough for lunch time, but it is legal to smoke in a California state park. I think I will go smoke at the State Capitol sometime since Briar Patch is right across the street

I feel for you.

Our hobby is a perfect example of how to take away freedoms while making people believe they are free. Was it Connecticut that passed a law mandating the registering of every firearm? Sure you can own them, we just want to know where every gun & bullet is.

Unfortunately, California & New York birth all the policies that will eventually affect us in the heartland. I am thankful my generation had a taste of freedom. Anyone up for another dose of the 60's?

Wow. I am both pleased at the way the officer handled the situation and horrified at the notion that this was a citable offense. I just saw last night that my own state of Illinois is contemplating a ban on beer garden smoking. This is to say that businesses won't be able to allow their patrons to smoke outside either. Sad state of affairs to be sure.

I'm in Sacramento, never heard of such a law. What park were you in?

Just a couple days ago I was sitting on my tailgate puffing on my pipe after a morning of fishing. I was on the American river, in the county park system, in a public parking area with joggers and dog walkers all around me. A city cop was parked not 25 feet from me. Not a peep from him, and I know he saw me.

Puff Daddy":q3w61909 said:
I'm in Sacramento, never heard of such a law. What park were you in?

Just a couple days ago I was sitting on my tailgate puffing on my pipe after a morning of fishing. I was on the American river, in the county park system, in a public parking area with joggers and dog walkers all around me. A city cop was parked not 25 feet from me. Not a peep from him, and I know he saw me.

He musta thought it was weed. :lol!:

Here is another instance of living in an age in which the public sphere is encroaching on what was once an individual's right to pursue his/her individual happiness, whether others like it or not. But to turn instead to the practical point -- How best to reply to the policeperson who probably believes he's only doing a job? I would reply (good naturedly), "What? You're kidding me? Since when?" [insert whatever ypu imagine officialdom's response might be] Then I'd reply [key point], " I don't see any signs." [Suppose the reponse is, "There's a sign at the park entrance."] I'd reply, "Oh, I thought that was for cigarette smokers. They leave their butts all over. Pipers are a tidy lot. We leave no mess as I will demonstrate to your complete satisfaction." And maybe, "Isn't this like traffic laws? The police have some judgment in the matter. Otherwise, we'd just have smoker cams or some such thing." Glad you didn't get a citation.

...tis very unfortunate that laws like this have transcended reasonableness...more importantly, we keep electing folks who churn-out these laws/policies... :affraid:

J Soshae":syyzemrn said:
Anyone up for another dose of the 60's?
No thanks, that's what started the ball rolling on where we are right now....... :evil:

DrumsAndBeer":z1oa9tfy said:
Bummer. Sucks to hear that the police are actually making time to be out enforcing stuff like this when they should be handling problems related to actual crimes being committed by actual criminals.  
It's California! That be too much like work.
No, I don't have anything against California............now that I don't live there anymore. ;)

Glad he opted not to give you the ticket. I sympathize completely though as I was frequently hassled by the police when I lived in PA.