Polishing A Silver Shank Cap

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
I looked up how to polish silver and there are a few good methods ala silver polishing cream and baking soda with aluminum foil in hot water. However, I hesitate to use either of these methods because the silver is attached to briar.

Anyone have some good tips here?

Any given blue paste compound polish and a wheel? *shrug* Works good on chrome, works good on stems.

I kind of like the look of tarnished silver, though. "Patina," I guess the folks call it. 8)

I use Brasso. I just make sure to wipe it off and I've never had a problem with the briar. I have also used very fine pipe ash on a damp q-tip.

Look for some Wright's Silver polish. You can find it at your grocerystore or most hardware stores, Comes with an applicator sponge inside the jar and just follow the directions. Stuff works wonders for ALL silver either plate or sterling. and it wont harm the shank or bit though I remove my bits when I use it. Just a quick polish with it about once a month will keep those silver( and nickel as is on Pete systems)bands looking like new! And your wife will love it on the silverware ( real silver) as well. My mother has used it in her house for ALL her siver my whole life and the stuff works well and easily.

Great tips, fellas! Thanks! :cheers:

I'll report back on what I wind up using. :)

NeroWolfe":ncol84jk said:
I use a silver polishing cloth...quick and easy.
That is what I use also. They are available at jewelry stores and work great.

I use this got it off ebay. I forget but it wasnt much
IMG151.jpg

Pretty cool labeling on that Miracle Cloth, Plumber, looks like it's right out of the 60's.

I knew I had one of those miracle cloths somewhere. I've had it since I was in the service and it works as well today as it did 40 odd years ago. Thanks for reminding me of it!

So I picked up some polishing cloths from the local hardware store and wowee did they do the job well! Pics below. They go from top to bottom, before polishing to after. :shock:

before10.jpg

before11.jpg

cloths10.jpg

after_11.jpg

after_10.jpg

Now it looks like the bowl needs buffing...
I did kind of like the patina'd(?) look, pre-polish.

Pshhht, I only saw the first two photos, I was thinking "Yeah? Big deal?" then I scrolled down (facepalm) and BAM, I'd call that polished. That's one handy dandy little cloth you've got there, but tell me, is the vanilla fragrance really that pleasant?

Rusty Mouse":2j2lozru said:
Pshhht, I only saw the first two photos, I was thinking "Yeah? Big deal?" then I scrolled down (facepalm) and BAM, I'd call that polished. That's one handy dandy little cloth you've got there, but tell me, is the vanilla fragrance really that pleasant?
Haha! Actually, yes it is. It lingered on my hands for the rest of the day, even after I washed them, but I certainly didn't mind.

Rusty Mouse":ufm9ezbr said:
No briar or finish damaging chemicals either?
Not a one that I could tell. I riskily allowed myself to polish onto the shank of the pipe and after I cleaned it off with a dry paper towel, there was no noticeable difference in the wood that got some silver polish and the wood that didn't. You can also store them for years, so sayeth the packaging.