Possible Canadian Federal Tobacco Tax Increase

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Neil

Reaction score
Well, I was at the local tobacconist today, and he informed me of a very sad truth coming down the pipe. Apparently the federal government in Canada is about to raise the federal tobacco tax by 73%. Add that to what ever they are currently charging, along with the 300% tax the Province's charge, and tobacco is almost unaffordable.

To put this into perspective, that will mean 1 ounce of bulk pipe tobacco will cost between $28 and $32. That is a pretty hefty increase from the $20 for 1 ounce I am currently paying.

I think the government is literally trying to make it unaffordable for the general public to enjoy tobacco.

I feel for you all up there. It's about the same south of the border, except the local selection of tobacco is awful.

I'm just stocking up the best I can on visits to the US.

My fantasy was that the current taxes on cigarettes and RYO were as high as they would get, but these reports seem to say that tobacco will be taxed without limit. NN also reported that Canada has severe penalties for having more than 10? pounds on hand, so what I've cellared since October would be illegal.

I've spent about $8500.00 to cellar 144 pounds; my only regret is that I don't have the other $2900.00 to take it to 200 pounds, where I'd be more or less bullet-proof. Though I don't expect FDA's ruling to be as harsh as Canadian law, wouldn't it just be lovely if they decide to emulate our northern neighbor's severity?

Alfredo, if the States ever got to where Canada is right now, which will hopefully never happen, I have a feeling you would be pretty close to public enemy number one with that cellar :lol:

That being said, Canadians have brought this on ourselves. We want free healthcare, so obviously anything that is considered unhealthy and an easy target will be taxed in the name of health... insert tobacco and alcohol.

I know this would never fly, but imagine zero taxes paid on tobacco. However, in order to purchase tobacco, you have to sign away your free healthcare and agree to pay for all health related cost personally. This way, I know my money is not being wasted on taxes, and I am no longer a drain on the system.

I do not fully understand the insurance system and health system in the States. However, I have to imagine insurance companies will charge a higher premium for one person who smokes a pack a day than they will for someone else who does not smoke at all.

I know tobacco taxes are to cover more than just health costs, but this is just a thought on one aspect.

Sorry fort he short story.

alfredo_buscatti":n803jnf8 said:
I've spent about $8500.00 to cellar 144 pounds;
BTW... your 144 pound cellar would cost $45,150.00 (give or take) to purchase in my City. That would equate to a hell of a down payment on a house!