Post Hall of Fame?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
Yak brought a good point the other day after zulucollector posted his thoughts on what constituted a style for American Carvers. It was such an informative post that it would be nice to have it set aside for future referral. Originally we talked about have a section for moving especially good tobacco reviews to for reference but would it make more sense to have a Post Hall of Fame where all worthy threads could be copied?

If so, then how would we go about doing it? Just have someone nominate it for the section and then maybe after a second and third I could create a new entry with the nomination reasoning and the quoted text?

I've been thinking about it for a bit now and haven't come up with a solid plan so I figured it was time to turn to the big brains.

I have a few reservations.

Seems to me this is the mirror opposite of deleting bad posts. Who is going to make the call? There probably will not be full approval.

I'm in favor of keeping the board as simple as possible.

Jason,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you do enough as is. This would only add to your admin load here.

Creative and knowledgeable people need to express themselves and will. Personal blogs?

It could turn out to be a facsimile of the education system; ie, everyone getting included in order to avoid hurt feelings.

What I think should go in it is just MY opinion. Most all of :gatewheel:'s posts deserve a repository of some sort.

:king:

I can definitely see your points. I'm all for less work. :lol:

To the extent that anybody cares (assuming there even is one), I think that turning every decision (including the decision on whether to make a decision) into a discussion topic in itself is just nuts. It takes up time, it takes up space, it's an energy sink and, in the end, somebody's still sore no matter what. It's Uncle Remus' Tar Baby. It's also the best way I know to guarantee that nothing ever gets accomplished.

Since nobody seems to be swinging with my proposal to appoint :king: Tee Jay as Capo (operating in parallel with, but independently of the official system), this suggestion probably won't fare any better. But I'll float it anyhow.

Secretly appoint somebody to be thread-&-review selector. It's probably the simplest job there is here, and (as is the way of most "executive" jobs I've ever encountered) nearly anybody could do a decent job of it. Keep his identity a secret known only to you, so nobody can get peeved at him for his selections and non-selections. The kinds ofjobs we're agonising over are as no-brainy (IMO) as picking up litter. Or closing a door somebody left open.

You've got your secret restrant critics and your secret shoppers anyhow. So have a secret contribution judge. One and done.

And if somebody's not pleased at the end of the day, rest assured that doing it any other way would also result in somebody not being pleased anyhow. As would not doing it at all.

Thomas Edison hired a lab assistent and told him to come up with the cubic volume of a glass lightbulb. Checking back half an hour later, he found the guy deep in pages of calculations. "Oh, for Pete's sake" said Edison (or words to this effect). Taking the bulb over to a sink, he filled it with water, then poured it into a measuring beaker.

This is not rocket science, guys.

Does this whole thing strike anybody beside me like a replay of the (counter-cultural) sixties ?

Edit : forgot my face :face:

I agree with TJ's points about the Hall of Fame.

That said, I do understand the desire to mark threads that one may find important. J, would it be possible...hmmmm...I was going to ask if there was a way individuals could select a thread to save in a personal folder but that would probably take up a bunch of storage space. Then comes the problem of what if the post gets updated; will an additional save override the original or just take up more space.

I guess the old search function will have to do.

Also, I nominate Yak for the secret thread-reviewer job. All in favor?

showme

Jason:

I know how to do it, but not with phpBB2. It's a piece of cake with phpBB3. I'm using it elsewhere and there are no glitches—at least as far as I know. Why'd you roll the version for BoB back to phpBB2, anyway? I forget...

Vito :joker:

Forumotion (where this is hosted) is all web 2.0. They have their own administration panel that just didn't quite work right with the new version yet. The board seemed to function fine but I couldn't make the changes I wanted so I dumped it until they get all the bugs out of it. Actually the initial set up worked fine but I started running into issues later and the support isn't the greatest. It literally is only a two click operation to change back and forth from the two versions without losing anything.

Upside on how I set this up was time, cost and easy maintenance (regular back ups that can be restored simply, stuff like that). Downside is the lack of flexibility (can't install my own mods, themes, etc.) which bugs the crap out of me really being I've been working with phpBB in one form or another for a long time and I'm not completely PHP illiterate. I like to be able to set stuff up how I want. Oh well, I spend enough time here as it is. :lol:

I haven't noticed anything wrong with a standard installation of v.3 but I haven't worked with it as much as the older version either. The RC8 thing does make me laugh though or are they on the final release yet?

jhuggett":4x1iy5xy said:
...are they on the final release yet?
They're calling v3.0.0 a "stable release" but after a few minutes of mucking around on the phpBB site I couldn't find any release notes. I'll download the installer and look in there when I have time

:joker:

Then it's on it's final release. I wasn't making fun of the project, it's just strange to see a release candidate number that high. Hell I think MS got Vista released after RC2 (not that it should have been). :lol:

A hall of fame would be cool and could be fun, but would probably cause problems. If you see an especially informative post, just sticky it and lock the thread.

I'm with TJ, K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple Stupid :lol!: I tell myself that all the time.

:pipe:

Jason,

I totally agree with the idea of having a special place to store informative pipe related posts and even whole threads for reference purposes. I don't really see where it would cause a problem.

One option to consider is to encourage members to transfer the information to Pidedia. http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page That is an awesome resource and anyone can contribute. If you have not checked Pipedia out I would highly recommend it!

PipeBrew":36f6tdun said:
A hall of fame would be cool and could be fun, but would probably cause problems. If you see an especially informative post, just sticky it and lock the thread.

I'm with TJ, K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple Stupid :lol!: I tell myself that all the time.

:pipe:
The problem is not the idea itself, which is basically sound, and has the interests of the entire community at heart. The problem that everyone is (probably correctly) anticipating is a result of thinking about it in the wrong way, principally because of an unfortuitous (but entirely innocent) choice of words in the "Hall of Fame" thread topic.

Justpipes is on the right track in seeing the proposed forum as an information resource. It really has nothing to do with "fame". Thinking about it in that way makes it seem as though the point of the forum is to glorify those who happen to contribute something valuable to the community. Of course, one of the effects of having such a forum would be that its contributors would have distinguished themselves, but I don't think it has anything to do with Jason's original post, or with Yak's original idea. It certainly wouldn't add much to my motivation to write worthwhile posts, which is already pretty high.

The "problem"—to the extent that there's any problem at all—is in knowing how to implement the idea.

Nevertheless, I won't push the point further. Maybe it just isn't a good idea for the BoB community. But I still think it's a great idea in the right environment. :mrgreen:

Maybe in place of a "Hall of Fame" call it a "Resource Guide of Fame" or something to that affect and just place threads inside this category after they have run their course. Much like topics have been placed from the General section to the Rubber Room. Limit and lock these threads to strictly pipe and blend topics. If three out of the five moderators think it's worthy then the thread or copy of the thread goes into this resource guide. Once inside the "Resource Guide" the thread cannot have any additional posts added to it. Just my thoughts on keeping it simple.

Great point Mike! but I would take it a step further and eliminate the the word "fame" all together, since apparently someone is afraid that having the word fame in the title would lend itself to the sensitive egotist having their feelings hurt if their post didn't make it in.

Give me a break here! We are talking about creating something to be a resourse for pipe related information not an ego stroking, head puffing, pat me on the back source. Besides, I personally think that there would be nothing in the world wrong with naming it in some way that would lend itself to giving kudos to someone if they posted a very informative, genuine piece of information related to pipes and pipe smoking. Let's make this thing real like it should be.

Like a Wiki.

Not sure how much work those are. Usually members can add and modify to the Wiki. But then the community usually maintains it.

Probably not what was originally intended. But then good resouces elsewhere could also be linked.

mdmiller5":msnb9axo said:
Maybe in place of a "Hall of Fame" call it a "Resource Guide..." or something...
Justpipes":msnb9axo said:
...I would take it a step further and eliminate the the word "fame" all together...
I'm gratified that youse guys read my post and got that point. Maybe there's hope for this idea yet, here on BoB. As I recall, I actually wrote a draft of how to do it back when this thread first appeared, but I shelved it because would take more work for the board admin staff with the current forum configuration, and Jason has already explained why he reverted to v2. Then other things happened. :roll:

Anyhow, under phpBB3 it'd be pretty doggone simple to implement it, but I'm not sure it would address all of the...er, "volitional pragmatics" that Justpipes referred to. That part is pretty easy to handle if you do it at the constitutional level, before folks register as members. But trying to implement it now, after the fact, is liable to result in some membership pruning. That's not my call to make.

I'll give it some more thought and kick it around with Jason...but not right now. Other duties call. :mrgreen:

Vito":zq9hesnu said:
But trying to implement it now, after the fact, is liable to result in some membership pruning.

How would implementing something that is as positive as what is being proposed here going to result in membership pruning?

Please explain that to me.

Nah nah nah ya'll got it all wrong. See here's how ya do it. Everybody pm me their address, the code for their house alarm,their sleep patterns, and their dogs favorite treat.
Then when someone post something stupid I'll go over and club em like a baby seal. Soon the whole board will be full of those informative and intellectual type post ya desire.

See sometimes ya gotta get a little stupid before ya can get smart :D

PS:Just don't post before I have my coffee :D