Post Your Comments on Acadian Perique Here

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
I have mailed out all the samples of MacBaren HH Acadian Perique this morning.
Please post your reviews of this blend here on this thread so I can forward them
to MacBaren after we get some feedback. :)

Winslow :sunny:

Well, I wasn't on the mail out, but I've been smoking it for a few weeks. Definitely one to restock! Mine lit nicely right out of the tin and stays lit well. Plenty of nice Virginias and the perique really picks it up. Background notes of the Orientals, etc. My local shop still has numbered tins if someone is interested in such.

Hi Win, My sample came to-day, just smoked half a bowl, Thank you so very much for your effort and expense ! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Mine arrived today too, many thanks sir! :D Puffing a bowl as I write this. It is very un-MacBaren-like. Tastes more like a G.H. & co. weed. Has that dark flavor inherent in a lot of their plugs and flakes and has a good deal of oomph, yet is still smooth and not overwhelmingly strong. Just the first bowl, but wow, I like this! :D

First I want to thank Winslow for the sample and the chance to give this Tobacco a go.
The weed arrived in perfect smoking condition ready to light, I smoked 2 bowls today and at first light I was ready for something special, but as each bowl progressed I felt a little disappointed. Nice room note but the flavor just wasn't there for me, this blend seemed very one dimensional and lack luster. I have enough left for a few more pipe fulls, perhaps in another pipe the results might be different but as this writing Acadian
Perique is not for me....

Got mine this morning. Thanks, Steve!
Just smoked some. Pretty good.
I like it a lot better than Matured Virginia,
but it still reminded me of it somewhat,
without the heavy BBQ sauce.

I've smoked three bowls thus far. I do like it. I'd say it's a 2nd tier tobacco as far as I rate them (not 2nd rate, 2nd tier). At the top would be St James flake and St James Woods - the best vapers on the planet - and at the 2nd tier the likes of Dorchester, Escudo, and this. The leaf seems to be quite like C&D leaf in flavor and mouth feel (though I know it's definitely not, being a Mac Baren blend) and the topping is quite nice. As the bowl progresses the top note fades and I get a pepperiness from the perique that's quite nice - not the fig-like perique at all - and the darker leaf (sun cured?) in the blend asserts itself, though in a more subdued manner than the G.H. & co stuff. Everything that happens with this blend is like a suggestion, never too bold, but definitely no weakling either. The total lack of bite is a nice surprise too. This is one of the best Mac Baren blends I've yet to try, and it would be most interesting to put up a few tins for aging. Be fun tto see what it's like 3 or 4 years down the road.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10 :)

First thanks to Winslow for hooking us up, received my sample today when I got home from work nice little surprise!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a ribbon cut I simply loaded it up, didn't require a rub out. Easy to light no burning issues at all the entire bowl. The big seller for me is absolutely no tongue bite. At first when I opened the bag the scent was over powering reminded me of a heavy Latakia blend which scared me for about half a second but immediately after lighting the fear was gone.

The burley came through strong and was a nice consistent flavor all the way, very simple. There's a slight twang from the perique that gives this tobacco a nice balance and spice, almost reminds me of a Rocky Patel Sungrown cigar flavor wise. Nice room note, nothing heavy and definitely not a foul odor. There was no nicotine kick for me at all I'd say its strong but definitely shouldn't scare away beginners. Easily could become one of my normal tobacco's.

Even' All, Thanx again Win! :tongue:
I have smoked 5 bowls of this blend, 4 of which in my Kaywoodie Wangee, for me this was a big dissapointment, maybe I'm spoiled by the likes of G&H, Reiner, Solaini but this stuff isn't even comparable, it required relights, which I very rarely have to do, the components burned at different rates, indicating poor blending and curing abilities, will not find a place in my cellar, i give this no stars, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :roll:

Well, I dare to be different here. I love the the stuff! I am now finishing the last of the entire baggie you sent me and I cannot seem to get enough of it and I will be buying more of this as soon as I can.

Thanks very much for the sample, you can tell MacBaron that they gained me as a consumer of this, but then I am a MacBarons fan anyway.

Here is a review that i posted on tobaccoreviews.com

I have been on a perique lately and this is a fine blend containing perique and with it being the dominant flavor. In the tin this does have a fig/raison like aroma and the tobacco runs the gamit color wise from light to dark. it is rough cut and mine was fairly dry so needed no rubbing out. It loaded in the pipe quite easily and took only the first light to fire up. Upon firing up I immediately was rewarded with the rich deep taste of the perique with the VA sweetness in the background. The burley, oriental and Latakia never really entered the picture except to give it body. In fact I can't say I ever tasted the Latakia and question it being there. But it gave me a sweet, creamy, dry smoke that I enjoyed a lot and it burned very cool and well. It burned all the way down to the bottom of my pipe leaving nothing but a fine ash and no moisture or dottle. This is a great MacBaron blend and had no bite at all but does have the spicy tang of a good perique. I quite like this blend and will order more. I highly recommend this blend to perique lovers.

Thanks for the sample Winslow very kind. I have to say that this didn't do it for me. It feel short all the way around for me, flavor, strength, burn. I had high hopes after all the hype this wont find find a spot in my cellar sorry to say. Thanks again Winslow.

Steve

First I want to say thank you Winslow for your time and effort in sending these samples out. Next I have to say that I'm not experienced enough in the different tobacco flavors yet to give my review. This is a blend I plan on buying more of. It packed well, lit and stayed lit on the first time,this is something I'm always struggling with. Overall I liked the blend and will be smoking more of it.

As I have noted before, living in rural Canada, with our very restrictive tobacco laws, I live in a tobacco wasteland. There really is very little available in choice, and due to the high taxes/customs, I am loathe to spend money blindly in my hunt for the ultimate tobacco tastes.

Generally I get to taste 'different" tobaccos when I venture into the US, where if I waste my money on a tin I don't end up caring for it costs me $8, instead of in Canada where that tin might run $20 to $30 !
affraid.gif
A recent trip had netted me my first VA/Per which was Kingfisher. What a disappointment that was, luckily I got a chance to trade it to someone who had been equally disappointed with MM 965.
icon_bounce.gif

So I had no idea whether I would care for this Acadian HH or not, but boy what a pleasant surprise. This had nothing in common with the Kingfisher that I could taste. This was a pleasant flavourful tobacco that lights easily and I could see as being an all day smoke. It is not my "favourite", nor my my most tasteful smoke, but I can see that I could smoke several pipes of this while working without it getting boring. In short I can see myself buying it for future smoking, even at Canadian prices.
icon_twisted.gif

There may well be better Va/Pers out there, but this one is the first I have had that I have had that makes me understand why others rave about this branch of the tobacco tree. By the by I did not detect any "vinegar/ketchup" aroma in this blend, but I have not noticed it in other MacBaren blends either, all of which have been acceptable to my palate, if not all exceptional.

Thanks Winslow,

Al (in Canada)
icon_study.png

I picked up a tin at my local shop - very tasty - liked it enough to pick up a pound to age after a few bowls - a pretty good value at about 35 a pound...

Dodge":0sylqbrc said:
First thanks to Winslow for hooking us up, received my sample today when I got home from work nice little surprise!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a ribbon cut I simply loaded it up, didn't require a rub out. Easy to light no burning issues at all the entire bowl. The big seller for me is absolutely no tongue bite. At first when I opened the bag the scent was over powering reminded me of a heavy Latakia blend which scared me for about half a second but immediately after lighting the fear was gone.
+1 ^

I think it is a good smoke, just not my cup of tea.

Thanks again to Winslow for hooking us up with the samples. :cheers:

I've had a couple bowls of this so far and my initial impression is very favorable. The weed arrived ready to smoke, if not a bit on the dry side. After setting fire to it I was a bit taken back by how smooth it was. When I dabble with perique blends, they usually tickle my nose a bit more than I like but here it was just right. In the first half of the bowl there was a nice muted sweetness with a slight buttery flavor rearing up every now and again. As the bowl progressed so did the dominance of the perique and more of a full tobacco flavor developed. No tongue bite to speak of. This is a great blend to smoke when you aren't sure how strong of a blend you want at the time. It starts off very mellow and you can take it to level of strength you desire by working your way down the bowl. This is one I may put on my next TAD order. Good stuff.

Tanks for the sample, Winslow. Received it yesterday and it's already gone (4 bowls).

I was expecting a VaPer, but this blend tastes like an Oriental without Latakia. Smooth, no tongue bite, and great to expel through the nose. I am pleasantly surprised and like it a lot. I will put it in my list of favorite Oriental blends and will add a significant amount to the cellar.

Added later: after writing the above lines I went back through the other posts. I must add that in my sample the VAs were in the background and did not define the blend. Orientals provided the dominant note and I couldn't detect the Latakia. I think I could smell the Perique in the bag, but I don't know how it impacts the flavor. Didn't find it one-dimensional, or flat, or whatever you want to call it, either. I wonder if, at some point in time, the component tobaccos suffered selective sorting and we are receiving samples with different compositions...

Wet Dottle":22na8ruh said:
. I wonder if, at some point in time, the component tobaccos suffered selective sorting and we are receiving samples with different compositions...
WD, you know as I've re read all the posted reviews I'm beginning to think the same thing, I really wanted to like this blend but it never developed, not once. I've never heard so many different reviews about the same tobacco. I may have to try a new tin and see if my findings are the same.....

Thanks for the sample Winslow :)

I liked this quite a bit. Very rich, tasty, and flavourful. I enjoyed the good amt. of spice this offers, and the sweetness was great (I don't like extremely sweet blends, and was quite pleased the sweetness wasn't overpowering). Maybe I'm just crazy, but I almost felt like it had some cigar'ish flavour at times (I could be wrong quite easily though).

It burns quite nicely and leaves a nice gray ash.

Two thumbs up! :) :)

Thanks Winslow!

Just finishing up my first bowl of this and so far so good. When I first opened the baggy I did detect a faint smell of a fire/smoke cured tobacco in the mix. Not sure if it was latakia or not being it was barley detectable and it really didn't transfer into the taste profile at all. So if it's in there it's just a trace amount.

I mostly tasted the burley, virginia and perique and they come across as well balanced. I did have a little trouble with the burning qualities but I think that is my fault being I almost exclusively smoke flakes and need to play with this type of tobacco more to get the packing down. It's also drier than most of the stuff I usually smoke.

I'll need some more time with blend to know if I really enjoy it but I did like my first sample. I expect the flavors to deepen as I smoke more of it out of the same pipe.