Pot Luck Dinner Tonight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
A group of my friends are getting together for dinner tonight. Tentatively, there will be 15 people. I guess you could call it a dinner party. There was a series of emails to organize a menu. I cautioned everyone (to some objection) to plan on smaller portions and not assume that everyone will eat something of everything. Simple math: 15 people each bringing 15 servings=225 servings. The host couple is vegetarian and four of the attendees are vegan. The host specified vegetarian items and to note if any entrees include dairy.
I decided to make cabbage rolls using a combination of Impossible Burger, Beyond Burger, and Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef adding onion, grated carrot, and sushi rice. I used sushi rice for its extra starch to hold the filling together. Usually, when I've made cabbage rolls, it's with ground chuck or beef brisket mixed with ground chicken thigh along with brown rice and egg as a binder. I decided to make the cabbage rolls because I already had all the ingredients on hand, except the cabbage.
I'd forgotten what a pain in the ass they are to make.
The worst part was boiling the head of cabbage to soften and remove the leaves from the head.

My younger daughter has become ultra vegan and when I told her what I was making, she asked me to make some extra ones to bring for dinner last night. My concern about whether her young children would eat them was totally unfounded. Even the two-year-old gobbled one up. In all honesty, they had the taste and texture of those I've made in the past that were not vegan.

Regarding the number of portions. Both of my daughters were H.S. and college athletes. One year, following the H.S. basketball season of my younger daughter, there was a pot luck dinner for the players and their families. The memo went out to "bring enough for everyone attending." There were thirty people, 900 servings.

Now home from the dinner:
Pleasant company, but after two hours I wanted to escape. It was perfect company to have a heart attack; five M.D.s. All the food was very good, except the soup course which had some stuff in it that came from Uranus.

Last edited: