Pot shaped pipes and maker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Brothers, I've read posts on here about the pot shape pipe, and saw where some people including GL Pease thought they were good for better tasting tobacco blend's individual tobaccos. So, I'm kind of on the hunt for one, and have been looking mostly at GBD. I've seen that several makers have pot shapes. Would you mind recommending some makers and models? Thanks Swede

If you doing an experiment, there are several pot shapes in Dr. Grabow Viscount, Golden Duke and some other Duke models with or out filters. When I was smoking in Pease Cumberland, I splurged and got a group 3 pot with Cumberland Dunhill. I sold the pipe and tobacco and dropped a few tears because it became dizzy with the hiccups smoking it.

Swede, I think that Savinelli 320 you have will smoke any tobacco just as well as a pot. I’ve had several pot shapes over the years and my 320 was just as good. Pease’s favorite was a Castello 55. I have a Sea Rock 55, but I haven’t smoked it to find out if it’s ”magical” or not. Heard good things about the Peterson 606 pot shape pipes.

Hey Brothers, I've read posts on here about the pot shape pipe, and saw where some people including GL Pease thought they were good for better tasting tobacco blend's individual tobaccos. So, I'm kind of on the hunt for one, and have been looking mostly at GBD. I've seen that several makers have pot shapes. Would you mind recommending some makers and models? Thanks Swede
If you're looking for a current production pipe, the Sav 320KS Author would do well even if it isn't a pot as long as you get a higher grade model. Peterson makes a good pot these days. I don't know what the quality of GBDs are today. New Comoy's are not what they were years ago, and they tend to burn very warm.

If you're thinking estate pipes, Comoy's, BBBs, Loewe's, Dunhills, and GBDs before 1968 in that order. I think you'd get better factory pipes from that era than this current one.

I love the pot shape and have said the same thing Greg has for years.

Swede, I think that Savinelli 320 you have will smoke any tobacco just as well as a pot. I’ve had several pot shapes over the years and my 320 was just as good. Pease’s favorite was a Castello 55. I have a Sea Rock 55, but I haven’t smoked it to find out if it’s ”magical” or not. Heard good things about the Peterson 606 pot shape pipes.
I thought about that on the 320 I have. There's just something about the pot shape and proportion of width to height that makes me want to try one. The 320 is great with the right tobacco. It's hard to regulate the burn down to a smoulder where it is at the best. If I don't get it right, the thing gets really hot like fast, and has to be put down.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a current production pipe, the Sav 320KS Author would do well even if it isn't a pot as long as you get a higher grade model. Peterson makes a good pot these days. I don't know what the quality of GBDs are today. New Comoy's are not what they were years ago, and they tend to burn very warm.

If you're thinking estate pipes, Comoy's, BBBs, Loewe's, Dunhills, and GBDs before 1968 in that order. I think you'd get better factory pipes from that era than this current one.

I love the pot shape and have said the same thing Greg has for years.
I have a 320 EX, but still would like to have a real pot shape. I try to notice what guys posting on "What are you smoking" thread, and noticed you using pots on some of your review smokes. I am looking at vintage factory pipes vs current offering. I'm talking with Marty Pulvers, and likely will have a GBD Virgin Panel Pot about a .9 to larger inside diameter and perspex stem, if things go well. I've really enjoyed talking with him.

If you doing an experiment, there are several pot shapes in Dr. Grabow Viscount, Golden Duke and some other Duke models with or out filters. When I was smoking in Pease Cumberland, I splurged and got a group 3 pot with Cumberland Dunhill. I sold the pipe and tobacco and dropped a few tears because it became dizzy with the hiccups smoking it.
Do you think it was just the tobacco that caused that? Sorry to hear about the pipe.

I have a 320 EX, but still would like to have a real pot shape. I try to notice what guys posting on "What are you smoking" thread, and noticed you using pots on some of your review smokes. I am looking at vintage factory pipes vs current offering. I'm talking with Marty Pulvers, and likely will have a GBD Virgin Panel Pot about a .9 to larger inside diameter and perspex stem, if things go well. I've really enjoyed talking with him.
Marty's a great guy, and he's great to deal with. I got a beautiful Rinaldo from him a few years ago at a really good price. I'm sure you're getting a good pipe since you're getting it from Marty. Tell him I said "Hello."

Pots are the best pipes for reviewing in my opinion for reasons you already know. I use meers a lot, but mainly for aromatics. I'm not going to ghost a pipe for a review blend. A good pot is a great performer under any circumstances. I like round bowls, I enjoy how the bowl feels in my hand although I'm mostly a clencher. Btw, it's hard to find a paneled pot. I have a small one - too small for reviewing - but maybe some day I'll be lucky enough to have a regular size paneled pot. Since I don't buy pipes or tobacco, that seems unlikely, but you never know what the future will bring.

I will observe that a pot shape with a 3/4 in inside diameter on the bowl is just a short billiard. I would look for a pipe with a 7/8 in id to get the experience.
That's a good point. When I've been looking for wide bowls, I decided to not buy anything less than 15/16 or .9x inside diameter, but I'd buy a 7/8 for a good price. I missed a GBD prehistoric pot on ebay for around $40.

Do you think it was just the tobacco that caused that? Sorry to hear about the pipe.
Cumberland was strong but I sipped in the pipe was perfect. The Dunhill just used Cumberland tobacco. I tried other pipes and got the same results...dizzy and hiccups. Also some different strong tobacco did the same thing. Since I sold the pipe and tobacco for Cumberland was perfect for smoking. I did find on tobacco reviews with mild nicotine would work.

Swede, I have a Stanwell Brushed Black pot that I got from P,&C on sale for $40 and it's a great smoker. Msybe take a look at them.
I've been checking out Stanwells and Comoys on ebay. They look great, and I've read both can be great smokers. I think once I get a pot and like it, it won't be the last.

Cumberland was strong but I sipped in the pipe was perfect. The Dunhill just used Cumberland tobacco. I tried other pipes and got the same results...dizzy and hiccups. Also some different strong tobacco did the same thing. Since I sold the pipe and tobacco for Cumberland was perfect for smoking. I did find on tobacco reviews with mild nicotine would work.
I've heard that about strong tobacco. Can't say I've had really strong, but I've had Chenets Cake make me a little jittery. I still like it, but just try to be prepared (full meal) when smoking it. It's a great blend with plenty of Perique. When I read TR, I always try to notice the nic hit comments.

I can't comment on Sav 320s, but I do have both the 122 and 123 pots, and they smoke well for me. Both of them are Romas, so they weren't pricey either. You might give them a look.

I can't comment on Sav 320s, but I do have both the 122 and 123 pots, and they smoke well for me. Both of them are Romas, so they weren't pricey either. You might give them a look.
My 320 seems to be a good pipe, and with GLP Triple Play, I've had some great long smokes with it, but it's finicky at this point. The bowl was pre-coated when new, and I'm thinking with some better cake buil up this the hot temperament will improve.