Potential fishing buddy?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik danger

Reaction score
'Mornin BoB!

This morning I'm meeting a fella who put up a photo on the local supermarket bulletin board of a fishing boat with the caption under it reading something like, "Senior fishing buddy wanted". Long story short: this man, who incidentally lives about 1.5 miles from me, would like to find/meet a like minded senior person to go fishing with on weekdays. Seems he's retired, I'm retired, why not? So he's got the boat, I just need to bring myself, rod/reel and lures. What the h---, I've never fished with lures before, just good 'ole nightcrawlers.
Would like tips from seasoned/unseasoned lure users for fresh water fishing, i.e. reservoirs, lakes, and the mighty, if non-navigable for commerce, Susquehanna river. I intend to catch and release and also keep and eat. Hope the guy doesn't mind cigars/pipes/beer on the water.
Useless trivia: The Susquehanna is the second largest moving river in terms of thousands of gallons/minute on the east coast, after the mighty Hudson.

Nik

Ok, met the older gent at the convenience store, sat down and talked for awhile. Looked great for a fella in mid-seventies. He likes to go out in the mornings, sometimes in the evenings. Problem is, he doesn't like going out early, early, when the sun is not heating up the water when fish tend to get lazy. He spent some time talking about how his tow vehicle is a gas hog. I read that to mean he would like to go halves on the gas for his truck and boat., and told him twice I have no problem chipping in. He's doing vacation in a couple of weeks, so this coming week may work. If anything, he seems like the more casual fisherman than the driven, hard core guy that gets out there at 0500 and spends all day on the H2O. I may end up coaxing him to go out, which with my big mouth, have no problem doing.
I will keep you posted.
Nik

I assume you will be fishing for smallmouth bass and walleye mostly. Some sort of jigs this time of year. Jigs with plastic, or just plastic baits like a Saltcraw, or similar. Plastic worms, tubes. Depending upon current jig heads could be 1/4oz to 1oz. I have seen heavier used in big current. Ask about his fishing line weight.

Ask your fishing partner what he recommends. You do not want to waste a bunch of money. Me, personally, I would have several rods rigged with crankbaits of various depths. Fishing cranbaits at their best requires a finesse. It took several years of tournament fishing before I gained that skill.

Oh, it occurred to me that you may be helping to launch the boat. A relatively easy task that tournament fisherman learn to do in the dark. His boat, he's in charge. He will probably have you back him down. He will have dealt with the plugs and straps. If it's a good ramp, you should just see the back of the boat raise up in the outside mirror and he should stop you there. He'll probably start the engine then he will move to the front and undo the bow strap. If he needs a bit more water, he will have you back in a little more. But he should be alright.

During all of this, it's best to keep your rear wheels dry. If a 4X4, once lined up to go down the ramp, engage it as a matter of safety. Use the parking brake if necessary. The park position is just a little tab in the tranny that likes to break off at a bad time.

And if it's a bad ramp. Adjust to make it work. The worst in summer are shallow ramps that have full sun on them all day. They grow an algae that is the slickest substance in the world. It is impossible to walk on a ramp covered in that alage. Get your back wheels in the water on that ramp, and unless you can get someone to pull you back out of the water. There is a good chance that vehicle is going under. The only thing stopping it is a person holding the brake pedal and keeping those front wheels locked.

As always, talk to you partner. It's just stuff to be aware of.

I think it is crucial to ask him what type of fishing he does before making much of an investment. Look on YouTube and see if there are any videos about fishing on the Susquehanna.

Oh, it occurred to me that you may be helping to launch the boat. A relatively easy task that tournament fisherman learn to do in the dark. His boat, he's in charge. He will probably have you back him down. He will have dealt with the plugs and straps. If it's a good ramp, you should just see the back of the boat raise up in the outside mirror and he should stop you there. He'll probably start the engine then he will move to the front and undo the bow strap. If he needs a bit more water, he will have you back in a little more. But he should be alright.

During all of this, it's best to keep your rear wheels dry. If a 4X4, once lined up to go down the ramp, engage it as a matter of safety. Use the parking brake if necessary. The park position is just a little tab in the tranny that likes to break off at a bad time.

And if it's a bad ramp. Adjust to make it work. The worst in summer are shallow ramps that have full sun on them all day. They grow an algae that is the slickest substance in the world. It is impossible to walk on a ramp covered in that alage. Get your back wheels in the water on that ramp, and unless you can get someone to pull you back out of the water. There is a good chance that vehicle is going under. The only thing stopping it is a person holding the brake pedal and keeping those front wheels locked.

As always, talk to you partner. It's just stuff to be aware of.
I didn't realize the algae can be a killer, slick ramps and all. I guess, that's where a lot of Youtube boat fails originate!
Nik

Reminds me of the film A River Runs Through It ( read the book, it is poetry)
Brothers ask the girlfriend’s brother to join them fishing. He’s from Hollywood.
They are devoted fly- fishermen.
They bet he’ll show up with worms.
He does and the town's local female entertainment in tow.

Last edited: