Pre-filling pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with this, and like it.

Fill 3-4 pipes before going to bed, then just grab and light 'em throughout the following day.

It eliminates the "spread to dry" routine before each bowl that's often an unwelcome interruption while working, by letting it dry in the bowl. Plus the slightly crispy top layer is a snap to light. The tobacco's automatic humidity "redistribution" seems just right.

I first heard of the idea from Vito (of KnoxBoard fame) a couple years ago, but never tried it until now.

I do that a lot too. The tobacco will take a few hours to dry a bit in the bowl but it won't dry out so much that you couldn't pick up a pipe you loaded 2 days ago and smoke it without issues. Often I'll open a new tin and want to load a pipe right away and smoke it - I get a bit excited about cracking a new tin - so I'll go through the motions and then say to myself "There!" and promptly put it in the rack for the next morning. I've struggled enough with wet tobacco to know it's not worth the trouble of trying to smoke it moist from a fresh tin, so I kind of temper my excitement by going through the filling ritual and then look forward to the next mornings bowl all day :D

What can I say, I'm easily amused :rabbit:

When I'm about in the vehicle for a good part of the day, I'll pre-load, 2-3 pipes. Never thought of doing it the night before for the next day. Good idea. Thanks.

I'm going to show the Brothers here how much of dork I am--In Moby Dick the First Mate would do exactly that prior to going to sleep. He or the narrator said that he smoked a pipe as if it filtered out microbes that cause sickness and was never seen with out one...Oh the good old days!

the macdonald":kvops256 said:
I'm going to show the Brothers here how much of dork I am--In Moby Dick ...
Reading the classics makes you a dork? Check out Puff Daddy's reading list sometime, then YOU can call him one if you want cuz I ain't about to. :lol: (He's the size of a pro linebacker and tosses concrete around all day.)

LL":e4dr3yos said:
I've been experimenting with this, and like it.

Fill 3-4 pipes before going to bed, then just grab and light 'em throughout the following day..
Excellent idea. When I travelled for work, I would always fill 4-5 pipes, and then lay them out on the seat next to me to drive and smoke unimpeded. BTW, I remember reading about Georges Simenon who was reputed to fill some outrageous number of pipes and lay them out on the table where he was writing, always in longhand. Apparently. when he finished the pipes, then he was finished writing for the day. He would start again the next day, following the same pattern.

I’ll be the one against the trend: pipes filled too early before the smoke become too dry for my taste buds. I prefer them fresh. The only exception is when planning to smoke two pipes back-to-back, in which case I go ahead and fill them both, counting on smoking the second one in less than an hour after filling.

Guess I must be a Dork too. Moby Dick is one of the books that I've read several times. Not too sure what kind of Dork I am. I've read the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings seven or eight times, love mysteries (didn't know that about Simenon - no wonder Maigret always had a pipe in his hand) read more sci fi than I care to admit and love history and biography.

I like your idea. Think I'll try it on a day I can have a marathon book session.