Presbyterian Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
So I am still quite a novice pipe smoker. I will not do the disservice to you all and call this a review since I don't think I'm at a level yet where I should be reviewing anything so we can just call this a discussion.

I've learned in the last couple years that I prefer non-aromatic blends. This makes sense I guess since I do not like flavors in my coffee and sugary things like soda don't do much for me. A good strong cup of coffee with a bit of cream, a good pale ale or English Breakfast tea are my drink preferences.

Last year on a whim I purchased a tin of Presbyterian Mixture that was sitting on my tobacco shop's shelf. I guess the tin art and the history behind the blend intrigued me. I really like Squadron Leader and a lot of people made comparisons with Presbyterian Mixture so I thought I'd give it a go.

I've been trying to break in a Peterson Premier Sandblast 314 system pipe I ordered Jan 2013 from Cup O'Joes. I didn't receive it until March 2014 (I guess Peterson doesn't make these often). It's a beautiful pipe and the first brand new pipe I purchased. It doesn't seem forgiving if I smoke too fast and will gurgle sooner and more frequently than my other pipes. Go slow and it seems to do just fine (I am a novice remember?).

It appears the newly purchased Presbyterian Mixture is made in Germany. As such the note inside the tin is in German. The tobacco underneath was quite moist. I took some out and let it dry for about twenty minutes.

I packed the bowl and gave it a charring light. My initial impression was that it is a very mild, almost flavorless blend. I could taste Virginia tobacco (which I now recognize). Upon lighting the bowl and smoking for a bit I held the same impression: a very mild tobacco. I will only smoke one pipe bowl a day and until I got about halfway down the bowl I was regretting even picking this tobacco. It just did not seem interesting.

When I got a little more than halfway down I started feeling the effects of the nicotine. I also got a bit of a gurgle going on in my pipe. I stuck a pipe cleaner in for about 30 seconds waited a second and took a sip of water. I then lighted again. Suddenly the pipe had a bit more flavor and was a tad more interesting. I kept smoking until I began to get a tad queasy and then let the pipe go out. When I emptied the pipe it appeared that I had smoked it almost all the way down anyway.

So my novice opinion? Not bad, but not great. I certainly prefer Squadron Leader, but it certainly isn't bad. It is a very "light" smoke and I found it to be uninteresting. Perhaps my palate and appreciations will change over time and I'll try it again later.

First, let me say you've picked a Classic blend/mixture to smoke in a Classic pipe !! Good on ya !! If it is a new un caked pipe almost ANY blend will give some "gurgle" in it 'till it has developed some cake in it. Presbyterian, being a predominantly Virginia based blend can smoke hot and give off more moisture in a new pipe if smoked to fast and hard as well. Slow down and learn to "sip" your pipe and you will enjoy your smoking of ANY blend much more !! As for the Lady 'N' component, this may be due to your being a newer smoker as I've smoked this blend for a few decades and found it to be quite light Lady 'N' wise! Especialy if you came to pipe smoking from being a total non-smoker!! Take your time, sip it and enjoy one of the FINEST Balkan's bended today in a mighty fine pipe you have !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

I would try it again if I were you just to give it a 2nd chance. For me it was Ghastly to say the least.
I got plenty of taste from it and took me a whole day to get rid of it. I like some Lats but, I think the
Orientals in it really turned me off. That's just my opinion and in no way should it influence yours. ;) 

Cartaphilus":geqd5jvw said:
I would try it again if I were you just to give it a 2nd chance. For me it was Ghastly to say the least.
I got plenty of taste from it and took me a whole day to get rid of it. I like some Lats but, I think the
Orientals in it really turned me off. That's just my opinion and in no way should it influence yours. ;) 
You keep forgetting that Latakia is an ORIENTAL tobacco !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

I agree with the others who recommend that you try it again. I didn't care for it at first, but it really grew on me. I don't smoke English-type mixtures much anymore, but Presbyterian is a nice one on the Latakia-light end of the spectrum.

I'm a fan of Presbyterian Mixture. It has just enough Virginias to keep it interesting and a departure from my usual daily dose of My Mixture 965.

monbla256":9zk542zt said:
Cartaphilus":9zk542zt said:
You keep forgetting that Latakia is an ORIENTAL tobacco !!  :twisted: :twisted: 
Well, what ever else is in it is just ghastly.

I have never smoked Presbyterian.

Oh. Wait. Wrong thread.

I opened my first tin of Presbyterian Mixture this weekend and it got really good after a couple of bowls. I'm a sipper but I can see where it might smoke hot if I weren't.

Now to try the Sutliff 1849 I received last Friday.

RJ

I don't understand why a novice would instantly head for latakia blends, but I am admittedly biased.  After five decades of smoking a pipe, I still don't really relish so-called English blends, though I do smoke them regularly, mostly as a change of pace.  It took me ten years just to get near one, so to speak, and then I regarded them as being too "medicinal" or herbal, apparently from the various orientals.  To me, latakia is best used as a condiment, almost to the point where you wonder if it's there.

Having said that, Presbyterian is one of the good ones, and it is a bit subtle, and yes, it will grow on you given the chance.

I buy Presbyterian Mixture in bulk, 1kg at a time. I have some which have been sitting here for quite a while and it's my no1 latakia blend. No, not true, I love Penzance more but where is it?

I've only had one tin of Squadron Leader and, it was good. Presbyterian is superb.