Price hike on GLP and C&D blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
Kinda bummed about this for fear the rest of the pipe tobacco world will also start going up and I'm not sure it will stop. Smokingpipes and P&C taking the 2oz GLP tins from $10.41 to $10.63 and C&D also going up .22 on the 2 ouncers. But the big hike is on the 8 oz tins couple dollars for GLP and around $4 for C&D.

I guess this stuff is expected but it seems these two brands recently raised prices. Gotta pay for all those Carolina Red Flake tins maybe :roll:  :(

back in the 90s, it was standard for prices to jump anywhere from 7-15% every January. I don't know how it works these days. I load up every few years and then purposely lose the bill. If I knew how much more I was paying with just a few years in-between, I'd be too pissed off and lose some of my enthusiasm. Ignorance is bliss.

I am okay with those increases. No where near as ridiculous as last year's Mac Baren price hikes, which were around $5.00 dollars for 100g tins.

DrumsAndBeer":au2mrhbl said:
I am okay with those increases. No where near as ridiculous as last year's Mac Baren price hikes, which were around $5.00 dollars for 100g tins.
Good point. And what commodity hasn't gone up, generally speaking?

Yup. It's where this is headed. Fortunately those are small increments right now, comparatively speaking. Nowhere near the increases of Mac Baren as D&B has noted.  And it's still a bargain, if looked at it through the eyes of world-wide prices.

Not trying to make light of this or justify it. Rather just acclimating myself to the reality. And as the old saw has it- stock up and build your cellars NOW before it's too late.

:evil:

Cheers?

RR

Brewdude":6prj72q4 said:
Yup. It's where this is headed. Fortunately those are small increments right now, comparatively speaking. Nowhere near the increases of Mac Baren as D&B has noted.  And it's still a bargain, if looked at it through the eyes of world-wide prices.

Not trying to make light of this or justify it. Rather just acclimating myself to the reality. And as the old saw has it- stock up and build your cellars NOW before it's too late.

Cheers?

RR
Realistically though, how long can I expect some of my tobacco to last? Sure 5-10 years for my Virginias based stuff but if I have a 20-30 year supply will it even be good when I get to that point?

Old Nate":ibfcw1xu said:
Brewdude":ibfcw1xu said:

Cheers?

RR
Realistically though, how long can I expect some of my tobacco to last? Sure 5-10 years for my Virginias based stuff but if I have a 20-30 year supply will it even be good when I get to that point?
There's a good blog from Mr. Pease on this issue which you might take reference from. Can't place my fingers on it right now though.

Pardon me for pointing out that 20-30 years might be an unrealistic goal, assuming that no more pipe weed could be had from commercial sources. Unless you were amenable to the old burley varietals, which seem to withstand the test of time and age. At least according to my observation.

Cheers,

RR

Old Nate Realistically though said:
Yet another good reason to grow, process and blend. Sure, you won't be able to replicate a commercial blend, but you can find something you like that you put together. If you start next spring, you could have some reasonably aged stuff for blending in around three years. :D

Family history tells me I have no more then twenty years left, hell that's a weekend in my life.
So why should I care if my tobacco last much longer, there will always be tobacco sold some where some how and if I can't afford it well, lets face it, has it done any of our bodies any good?
Yeah, we like it, like it a lot and I for one aint going to let anyone tell me what I can and can't have if what I want does no harm to others (2nd hand smoke is BULLSHIRT) besides I never smoked around nonsmokers without permission, I know none. ;) I'll fight as long as I physically can but, they'll come a point if we can't win and our cellars are dry that we'll have to concede. No! I'm not giving up yet, just preparing myself for big brother knocking at my door at gun point demanding and that's when I'll either say those two words I know so well or "your too late I smoked it all." ;)

A little off subject?.........Maybe but, I think in the ball park.

Yup, and they can pry my post 2007 pipe from my cold dead nicotine stained fingers.

As far as the plants, Jim Stafford might have said it best......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YyQi-1Z2tN8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

FWIW -I'm smoking EMT, 965, Old Dub And Durbar from 2001, and they're mighty tasty. Plenty of tins left in the cellar. Question is, at the current aged tin prices, can I afford to smoke 'em, or should I just sell them and buy fresh and pocket the diff?  Hmm. Did I really ask myself that question?

I'm gonna' let you youngsters figure out how to solve this little problem. At the (almost) tender age of 70, I have accumulated more than enough good 'baccy to last me 'til the angels haul my azz away!! I may pick up a little CH or PA now and then; but other than those I'm done. Disclaimer...I may have to procure some of the new DH "Ye Olde Signe" just for grins!! I will say this...Before ya' fuss about 'baccy prices here, ask our Brothers in Canada, The Mother Country, and in Europe what they pay! Those of you/us that do buy from Europe know it ain't cheap over there!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I'm not sure where the idea that Virginias and Balkans won't last past 5-6 years came from.
I've got tobaccos from the 90's that Pipetongue blessed me with and tobaccos from the Oughts that I purchased, every one I've tried has been absolutely phenomenal.

well I just bit the bullet and ordered from smoking pipes.com, even with international delivery and the taxes to HMRC I have saved approx. between $8-14

this is only 1 tin though just to see how long it takes and how badly the govt stings me for tax.

Cartaphilus":636u8qq1 said:
Yeah, we like it, like it a lot and I for one aint going to let anyone tell me what I can and can't have if what I want does no harm to others (2nd hand smoke is BULLSHIRT)
LoL! If you ever worked in a tavern, spent an hour in the tent at CPCC or drove with me to work for an hour and a half while I puffed a Nicaraguan 50X7 you wouldn't say second hand smoke is BULLSHIT

I'm going to take a guess that you're single because as I read the pipe boards most of these guys can't smoke in their own homes and cars and some poor saps some are made to shower and change clothes too.
I can understand not wanting someone chain smoking nails in the house but I'd quit before I was sent to the porch or garage to smoke my pipe. I keep a happy family with moderation. :shock:

Richard Burley":em4psaqh said:
Quit what, Dave--smoking or the marriage?  8)
Smoking, but thankfully my wife understands my passion for the hobby and smoking my pipes in moderation. :shock: