Prince Albert Old Made in USA vs New from Dominican Republic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Today, I was able to locally find a 14 can of Prince Albert for $29, but as has been noted for Carter Hall, this PA also is made in Dominican Republic. I had an old luxury pouch of PA bought around 2017, but made in the USA. I also just received some bulk PA from 4noggins, and I've been smoking it resulting in more bite than what my old pouch PA gave. In fact, it seems I didn't get any with it. I don't think my smoking cadence has changed. I'm using a fairly new MM diplomat bent stem and sometimes a Legend. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any difference between PA origin USA vs DR. As far as taste goes, it seems pretty much the same. Swede

Not sure where mine was produced as I transferred to mason jars and tossed the tub, however I don't get any bite from it and tastes fine. Bought this year.

The DR is noted for its excellent tobacco products. Some pretty amazing cigars are grown and rolled down that way.
No doubt, and I've enjoyed several of those cigars, so no shade cast on the DR. I was thinking more about possible manufacturing and processing differences. A post I read somewhere about the DR Carter Hall made it sound like there were undesirable differences. My old stock was aged, so probably more mello. I'm trying to figure out why I am getting bite. Swede

I gotta' get out more often!!! Had no idea PA & CH were being made/processed in the DR!! What brought this on and how long has it been going on??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!! FTRPLT

The Dominican version came out around late spring, early summer of 2021. I haven't tried it and have wondered if it and Carter Hall has changed much.

I've looked for news articles, and found only something about Swisher's 2018 move from Jacksonville FL to the DR citing some congressional law or tax issue that made importing better for them. Possibly this affected Middleton also, but who knows. I emailed Altria asking about the move, so hopefully an answer will be given. Swede

This situation should never affect me. I have three PA soft pouches, eight CH soft pouches, plus a lb+ of CH jarred!! I will be interested to hear any comments on any differences, if any!! FTRPLT

Well, I talked to someone at Philip Morris, and they said none of the processes used to produce these two pipe tobaccos, PA and CH, have been changed. Searching news on their website didn't provide any article on the move to the DR. Swede

I've posted a thread comparing old CH to the current one in this section.

I'm a-bit of a luddite...well, actually a major luddite....I'm having difficulty locating your new PA thread.
Might you point the way?
There is no PA thread. Yet, anyway. I posted a Carter Hall thread.