Proper Way to Care For a Silver Spigot...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... just to be clear, the Brasso is for just removing oxidation. Depending on how thick the oxidation is, you may need a couple passes. You can clean it up with the olive oil (any kind will do), and then you can polish it with smooth polishing pads and you will get a nice subtly shiny finish. It won't be as shiny as being put on a wheel, but good enough.

Thanks Kitty, I did give the brasso a good couple of goes but it didn't seem to make a dent in it. Bare in mind this is a 60s/70s Pete with their usual stems that oxidise like crazy so it was almost white when I started. I basically followed your advice for the rest of it. Other than the ultrasonic bath I gave it. This pipe was filthy. Don't think it had ever seen a pipe cleaner in its life.

Wished I'd taken before and after pics, sadly the stem is that crap it's already oxidising again after my first smoke through it. So the pipe will be off to a repairer for a new stem.