Proposed Template for Narrative Reviews of Pipe Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the very least, the template headings make a useful checklist of points that remind one what one might want to cover in a review; regardless of whether one - stylistically - chooses to use the template structure, or to wax more poetic (as noted by mark).

(poetic...hmm....makes me wonder....could I write a review in the style of e.e. cummings?....)

kilted1":ntcu2pzd said:
You seem to have trouble taking me at my word, so be it.
Not at all; they are plainly before everyone to review and interpret as they will. You seem to have difficulty receiving opinions when plainly asked for. So be it, have it your way, if you insist.

Kapnismologist":m6w4ixy5 said:
This is all I am going to say on the matter. If some still do not understand the whole point of this thread, that is just fine with me.
It would seem you couldn't keep from saying a little more, and with that, your position made more apparent. I however can stick to my word, and this shall be my final input on your scheme.

A review doesn't need to adhere to any particular format. It's entirely insipid to describe a rope as reminiscent of excrement as some contribution to insight. In this visual age of the internet, you can see a picture. Regurgitation of the header description is useless filler. Methodology of preparation and smoking speak more to that individual's experience, than some objective reliable assessment of the qualities of that being evaluated.

A context of understanding is necessary. If their preferences accord with mine, I take seriously what is said, even if only a few lines. I habitually read all of the reviewer's reviews to establish a sense of credibility, comparing to my own frames of reference. Some of the most prolific reviewers have the least credibility: The reviewers I hold as credible can write a one-liner that has more weight than a book from someone who feels compelled to opine about any and everything. In any event, those who value small beer, schoolchildren crying about nicotine, may be interesting reading, but have no more value than white noise. Similarly, my opinion of nicotine-free tobaccos is of little value. My saying it bites is more indicative of my overdrawing or moisture content (my responsibility), than the characteristics for the 'smoking mixture' fan that may not have that issue.

I look for the reviewer to address relevant issues. Citations of comparative tobaccos can be useful in illustrating a point, and establishing a frame of reference. If Sasha says this is ok, but I like so-and-so better, I have useful information. Ultimately, I'll try both, but the one before the other, and a smaller amount rather than greater. The point here is that that reviewer, until disproved, has established credibility, not through an avalanche of formulaic correct words about a particular blend, but by a consistency of perspective across many, a few choice words each time.

Finally, the preferences of mentors are elevated to high priority, Bosun Cut Plug! Walnut and Haddo's Delight. Indeed. And, those 'reviews' came only as profile, the most credible reviews I have seen yet. I only regret that I hadn't come here sooner, from a world of mostly irrelevant blathering.