PS Luxury Twist Flake - other suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
I'm really digging the Twist Flake. I've got a bunch of different VA flakes or broken flakes that I really like, but none of them seem to be clones of LTF, or vice versa. Since I know PS is a big blending house for bulks, I'm just wondering if it's a take-off of another blend. Or, if there are other TF-type blends that folks would recommend.

I guess it seems contradictory...why not just keep smoking LTF. Well, I plan on doing that, but was wondering if there's history behind it (recreation of an old tyme blend) or if there's something in tins I could age. I'm thinking of getting a big pile of bulk LTF and jarring it up for the long haul, but before I do I wanted to hear what the brothers have to say about like blends.

Thanks!

I haven't come across anything very similar... I'd also like to know if there's anything else close to it out there just out of curiosity.

I can say that I have about 8oz left from a 24oz pack I got a year ago and the other day I cracked it open and boy oh boy did it smell so damn good... Smoked good too!

You know, I think there actually are several other blends in the Luxury circle. Let's see...there's the Twist Flake and the Lux. Bullseye Flake, in addition. I think there are a couple more in that direct line which I can't think of right now, only cause I'm tryin' too hard. Also seems like there was another thread like this 6 months ago or thereabouts, so try doin' a search here using LTF (well, with the whole words I guess).

Last resort...there are a number of Flakes that I think of as the 'mild & sweet' ones that have the same smoking 'feel', if you will. It's one of those -if you like this, then you'd also probably like that - kinda thing.

Others can chime in here...and YES! I ALREADY KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERENCES...I'm talking about flakes, etc. that are in the same ballpark...not sittin' in the next seat!

Such as: Escudo, and Bjarne's Flake deLuxe. And there's Bob's Chocolate Flake and maybe on the far end of the scale, things based on Best Brown like Gawith & Hogwart's Rum Flake...etc.

For the record or what it's worth, Larsen's #32 is in "the same seat" though it's not sold in the US and I'm not sure if it's made anymore.

Jim...my ha'pence worth if that.

Recently had the chance to try PS LTF along with PS Luxury Navy Flake and I must say - the Navy IS AWESOME! Give some of that a spin and see what YOU think!

I enjoy all three of the PS luxury flakes. But I wouldn't say that they are very similar to eachother. Perhaps luxury Navy and luxury Bullseye are more similar to eachother than either of them are similar to the twist flake, but even that is a stretch. Plenty of flakes out there are similar to Luxury Navy and there's a few that are similar to the Bullseye (Escudo of course) but in my limited experience the Twist flake is very unique. It is sweet and does have a great room note but I wouldn't call it aromatic. There is definitely some topping but I'd say the description is pretty accurate: "A pure Virginia blend from the best fields of Zimbabwe and Eastern United States. Rolled Twist Flake, then Cavendish pressed and cut." It's sweet and has a caramel note but the pure VA taste is very forward.

And Ol'Dawg is probably right. I just looked up Larsens number 32 curly flake... Sounds like it would be a close match based on the way it's produced, the blend of VA, and the reviews. Many noted a significant caramel flavor which is there in the Luxury Twist as well. Now I just have to try to find some Larsen #32 for a comparison...

s.ireland":urhgn1cz said:
I haven't come across anything very similar... I'd also like to know if there's anything else close to it out there just out of curiosity.

Yes, this is my point...as you said, Navy and Bullseye seem to have counterparts out there, but a coin like LTF in another brand doesn't come to mind.

I think what you think is the casing is probably just the Cavendish process, but I'm no expert. I taste nothing that I'd classify as a topping or added flavor. It's probably just the treacle added in the Cavendish (if indeed that's part of the process...again, conjecture on my part).

While there are plenty of VA flakes, coin spun ones don't seem prevalent......which was why I posted this thread. I assumed that the PS was just a "take off" or generic of something else. But in my time around pipes, limited as it is, I've yet to find the name brand it's patterned after...

Thanks, folks!

I love this stuff too!! I think LTF is unique as I've not tried anything that has reminded me of it yet. Bullseye I could say "Escudo" or Davidoff Medallions", LNF makes me think "Reiner's" or "OGS". But LTF??

The "suntan lotion" topping (coconut) is great too. I've got a lot cellared here. 8)

Ok...guess I've had Escudo on the brain...d'uh...coin spun...as Gilda would say..."nevermind".....

deepbass9":eklefrc3 said:
Ok...guess I've had Escudo on the brain...d'uh...coin spun...as Gilda would say..."nevermind".....
That makes sense. You called it a coin in an earlier post and I just realized it....

An interesting thread none the less! Have you tried the Twist flake though?

No, I meant that I was wrong to call it coin spun, since it's not....I've been talking of Twist Flake the whole time, I just had the image of Ecsudo in my head, I guess, when I was describing it's shape.

I've mainly just been wondering if it's a take off of something particular, as opposed to just another VA flake...maybe I'm trying to split hairs, but like I said I was thinking it was a "generic" version of a particular brand. The flakes are very spider-webby, unlike some others I've had. Though, of course, I've yet to try the venerable FVF....

Well if you looked at my cellar it wouldn't be hard to tell that LTF is what I figured I'd smoke the most. I've got close to 15 lbs of it aging.

To me it has a sort of grassy, hay taste that I haven't found in anything else. A while back I read online somewhere (probably Tobacco Reviews) that Astleys No. 109 Medium Flake was similar. So I got a tin. It is closer to LTF than anything else I'm aware of, but definitely NOT the same.