PSA - my brewery is under new ownership!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All

As of the first of this year, Snoqualmie Falls Brewing is under new ownership. The original 5 partners and subsequent partners/shareholders met late last year to consider the proposal put forward by our long-standing landlord and his partner to acquire our operation. The aye votes carried. And yes, I also voted aye.

This comes after a 20 year history of us being owned and managed by the group who started and nurtured this endeavour. And who also supported it through thick and thin over the years. Both in spirit and more importantly in realistic terms when times got tough.

The reason(s) for this are too much to list here. I will state however, that the original partners and myself are now of an age that are either retired, semi-retired, or about to be retired. And as such would prefer to move on with their lives apart from the brewery.

So, the time was ripe to sell and our landlord and his partner were the obvious ones to take up the torch. The landlord has been a complete supporter of the brewery since he acquired the property 18 years ago, and has financed both of our Taproom expansions.

So he's dedicated, and he has the best interests of the brewery in mind. I call him a friend, and we respect each other in our capabilities. While he's not a brewer, what he is, is a great entrepreneur with a keen business sense. A very successful individual.

I'm very encouraged at what he and his team have already brought to the table. The Tap Room is currently undergoing major renovations to accommodate a larger kitchen footprint, updated equipment which will allow us to offer an expanded menu, the addition of an outside beer garden, improved cosmetics, and much more. In short, he has a vision and I support it.

As far as production goes, we have a new head of sales and is in fact our new GM. This is an individual who I have known casually for about 20 years. He's a mover and shaker in the wholesale arena, and has a lot of relationships and contacts.

This can only bring good things our way as we go forward. And the positive thing is that he and I respect each other in our respective disciplines. Win-win.

All to say that I am no longer an owner or partner. Just an employee. Yet I have a very positive sense about all this. And yes, the new owners are aware of my plans to retire later this year.

I've been a bit tardy on posting this, and while it hasn't "officially" been made known in a press release I'm free to post it here.

Questions, concerns, comments, etc? Just ask or pm me.

:drunken:

Cheers,

RR

Onward and upward! Its good you're getting things squared away sooner rather than later. I'm sure this is going to take some getting used to for you.

Jim

huffelpuff":sy7g0k22 said:
Onward and upward! Its good you're getting things squared away sooner rather than later. I'm sure this is going to take some getting used to for you.

Jim
Aye Jim. It's a whole new world. And frankly I enjoy the present set of challenges. Production will be undergoing significant changes. Not the least of which is starting to offer packaged product in 12 oz cans in the near future.

Canned craft beer is the new darling of the craft industry. Which was in recent memory previously the domain of the macro brewers, and therefore not the right image.

That's all changed now, and we  will be changing with it. Plus it will open up the possibility of chain authorizations in the major grocery markets. And our new GM has contacts there.

We'll be using one of those mobile canning outfits until we can get our own dedicated line. Seems to be the new way forward.

And the plan is to get us to near capacity before investing in all new fermenters which will cut the labour costs in about half.

That's just a snapshot view of what is in store. And I support it fully!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Congratulations and best wishes. Sounds like you’re easing into retirement. Good idea. I hope your agreement includes a clause on your personal thirst quenching needs.

Well done Rande, great outcome. I think this highlights rather nicely the difference between a goal and an outcome. A goal is something you want but don't always get, and an outcome is something you get but perhaps isn't the golden version of what you originally wanted. Pays to be flexible in your thinking which clearly you have been. I guess that's also called progress!

Glad to hear the changes in store meet with your full approval. Times sure do change. I remember when the suggestion of using cans would have gotten a feller beaten. It would be great if they could get a foothold in the grocery stores. That would open up the possibility of regional distribution would it not?

Jim

Brewdude":jr648njl said:
...Canned craft beer is the new darling of the craft industry. Which was in recent memory previously the domain of the macro brewers, and therefore not the right image.
Congratulations on retirement. Now you can smoke and drink more. You know, I actually like cans, but I noticed something a bit weird. One of my favorite beers, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, has a wonderful aftertaste when it's draft. Out of the can, I can't taste it, so I never buy it. What's up with that?

Richard Burley":iytb7ais said:
Brewdude":iytb7ais said:
...Canned craft beer is the new darling of the craft industry. Which was in recent memory previously the domain of the macro brewers, and therefore not the right image.
Congratulations on retirement. Now you can smoke and drink more. You know, I actually like cans, but I noticed something a bit weird. One of my favorite beers, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, has a wonderful aftertaste when it's draft. Out of the can, I can't taste it, so I never buy it. What's up with that?
Sounds like a freshness issue. Draft is usually consumed while it's relatively fresh, while packaged (canned or bottled) could have been sitting around a while. Plus, SA packaged is very likely to have been tunnel pasteurized (a somewhat intensive process) which can degrade some of the nuances.

Don't think I'll be likely to drink more after retirement though. However I might sneak in an extra bowl or two when I'm no longer working! ;)

hufflepuff":iytb7ais said:
Glad to hear the changes in store meet with your full approval. Times sure do change. I remember when the suggestion of using cans would have gotten a feller beaten. It would be great if they could get a foothold in the grocery stores. That would open up the possibility of regional distribution would it not?

Jim
Our 22 oz bombers are already placed in some of the grocery stores Jim, although the penetration is not very widespread. That, plus the 22 oz package is falling out of favour so we have lost some facings already. Cans are the way forward now.

And yes, once we're in cans we will be looking at authorizations for some of the larger grocery chains such as Safeway and Costco. Our new GM/head of sales has pull in this area.

Blackhorse":iytb7ais said:
This sounds like a very positive outcome for Snoqualmie and for you Rande. So glad it worked out well for you.
Thanks for the kind words Dave. Yes, it is positive and I fully support the changes. There will be growing pains of course, but it will be worth it.

We courted several investor groups over the past few years, but none of them came to fruition. Looks like the third time is indeed a charm!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Stick":g6fin0y9 said:
Well done Rande, great outcome.  I think this highlights rather nicely the difference between a goal and an outcome.  A goal is something you want but don't always get, and an outcome is something you get but perhaps isn't the golden version of what you originally wanted.  Pays to be flexible in your thinking which clearly you have been.  I guess that's also called progress!
Well put Squire, well put indeed.

KevinM":g6fin0y9 said:
Congratulations and best wishes. Sounds like you’re easing into retirement. Good idea. I hope your agreement includes a clause on your personal thirst quenching needs.
Well, as of now my "personal thirst quenching needs" are met as I'm still employed and enjoy the perks that go with it. After retiring and moving I'll have to provide for that myself. Thus the motivation to get back into home brewing.

Thanks to all here who have posted their kind sentiments. Many big changes loom on the horizon, and further adventures await!

:cyclops:

Cheers,

RR

Long belated congrats, Rande, that's gotta be exciting! Major transitions like this are obviously not without their stresses, of course, but man I bet the prospect of retirement feels good. Now I really gotta get up that way before you split...