PTSD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
When I was discharged from the Army in late September, 1969, ETSing directly out of Vietnam, there was no recognition of post traumatic stress disorder. I think it was in the early 70s, we first heard about PVSD, post Vietnam stress disorder. ETSing right out of Nam was a mistake for me because there was no transition time of stateside duty. One day I was at the replacement station in Vietnam waiting to get on a flight out manifest and within a day or two a civilian attempting to make some sense of the prior 15 months in Vietnam. I was not well, in many respects. Fortunately, I had a friend whose tour of Vietnam (Air Force) ended slightly before my tour and he was stationed in California at Norton AFB and living off base. I asked him if I could stay with him and his roommates for a couple of months to get my head straight. It was an excellent time. My friend and his mates went off to work on base and I relaxed and tried to figure things out. After a few months, I said my thank-you and returned home. I was better, but still unsettled. I carried on with my life.
53 years have passed since then, and for some inexplicable reason, Vietnam is frequently visiting me when I'm asleep. It's very strange because sometimes I wake up in a "start" and, for an instant, think I'm back there. I wonder if the war in Ukraine has precipitated dragging old memories back. It's really quite unpleasant and I look for reasons not to go back to sleep.

I'm sorry for what happened to you. Not sure what else I can say.

As for the Ukrainians this is their second time in not too many years their country has been attacked by Putin's insane ideas and his military. I'm sure many are going through it for the second time. So sad.

Last edited:
PTSD wasn't recognized at all after Nam. When I came home in Nov of 69 people just said I was f***ed up. I went straight into college and had to endure the protest demonstrations and BS from the hippee crowd. Took 2 or 3 years for the memories to fade, which they never did completely. To combat the situation mostly just drank a lot. On occasion something will still bring back the old memories.

Things sure have changed since then I suppose. Currently they like you to start your transition about a year before your ETS date. They have lots of stuff in place to help Soldiers reintegration into civilian life (finance classes, resume writing, job fairs, etc). They also seem to be more thorough with the medical screenings, both physical and psychological.

Counseling and seeking the Lord helps me, Brothers.

Last edited:
Wasn't PTSD called 'shell shock' around the time of Viet Nam? It was termed shell shock during WW I. I think it even had another name before that.

Shell shock, battle fatigue, I even remember the term war neurosis tossed around for a while. After the end of Viet Nam in 73 I remember it being referred to as Viet Nam syndrome.

On occasion something will still bring back the old memories.
And that's how it was for me until very recently, when memories started to become frequent. I spoke with a friend who was in Vietnam mostly after me, but we did overlap a couple of months. He's having periodic flashbacks and increasing memory issues. We're four days apart in age.

They interviewed a middle-aged Ukrainian woman the other day. She was standing in front of a red frontloader tractor (in case anyone else saw this) in a street turned to rubble. Her hands were shaking, and someone nearby dropped something. She jumped out of her skin. Her nerves were shot. She could barely speak and looked with a blank, yet scared to death, stare. I'm sure it can take mere seconds for war trauma to wreck someone inside-out.

Absolutely, and especially civilians. Even hardened combat vets. Had a couple of guys in my unit who had to be sent home after one horrific fire fight.

In a combat situation, when you are a participant in actions and results, that when a peacetime civilian, you thought unimaginable, it is no wonder; none at all, that some service men and women carry those memories forever. Most are able to compartmentalize that time in their life, but for many who were in combat, the memories don't recede.

Ranger107 perked my memory: "battle fatigue" I think was the frequent term I heard in '69 and the early 70s.

Last edited:
Interesting thread!!!! Starting in 2018, I began having 50-year flashbacks; remembering and reliving the events of certain significant years in my life. 1968 was a huge year for me; I damn near relived every day/event I experienced. Did pretty much the same over the next few years. This year, 2022, marks my 50th anniversary of arriving in SEA; specifically Korat RTAFB, Thailand in January. I'm now up to "The Big War" starting in late March/early April when the NVA invaded the South. I left the States with 11 other fighter guys; 5 of us came home alive!!! Could be an interesting rest of the year!!! FTRPLT

Because God is sovereign over everything, and has infinite knowledge that we will never comprehend. We don't have the capacity to understand why. I do understand that the only way to counter violence is with better violence, because if someone tries to kill me, I will kill them first. That is self defense and not murder.

Matt