Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Gents it's all in the title. Every time I log in, especially on my mobile it happens. New windows popping up saying I won this or whatever else.

It's annoying now.

Can the Admins do something about this?

Thanks mates. Happy puffing - C& D Black Frigate in a Tinnsky for me.

From Forumotion in regards to the mobile version.

Hello,

The problem is probably with an ad that is re directing. I would just ignore it and backspace back to your forum and continue browsing. All Forumotion forums are virus and malware free, not to worry. Forumotion is still working to fix all auto re directing ads that we have been getting lately. In the meantime, please try to be patient and ignore them and ask your users to do so as well. We apologize for the inconvience. Sad

-Brandon

I am reading another thread about this problem now. But I cannot report it in the manner they want reported, because I cannot see what any of you guys are experiencing. See what else I can learn.

I already gave them our forum URL.  But I cannot see what you guys are seeing.  If you want to bother, send me the links and device info and I will pass it on.  But I also told them I thought this was a waste of their time tracking down individual links.  They obviously have something unprotected that under the right circumstances is letting this malware in to their system.    

In order to help us, could you please provide:

- Url of your forum

- Ads displayed on PC, on tablet, on mobile (android, apple,...)

- Image location (copy and then past here)

- The link location (copy and then past here)

- Link on the ads and copy-past the final link

Thanks for your patience.

Regards
Buttercup

Thanks Carlos. problem is it is quite random. The one bad time i really was concerned about any damage to my OS and files and the only way of exiting was to have to reboot. sometimes it is viewing - the worst time is that i just posted a new thread and that is when it hit.

Linux Bodhi - all upgraded and running antivirus and also using Chromium browser - NOT chrome from Google.

that at present is all i can say to help out.

It is better to hold the power button and power down than click on any link or button in any of those malware things.

99% of my surfing is in LinuxMint17.3 Cinnamon 64bit, using Firefox, AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery. Ghostery finds no trackers on the website. AdBlock Plus blocked 0 of 392 items on this page. I also have a username and password to login to the computer.

I do not see what others are seeing. So it has to be a certain combination of circumstances that trigger the ability to see those ads and malware/re-direct things. The Forumotion techs are having the same trouble because they cannot see these things easily.

That is why I need the device you were surfing on at the time, and the link location, and the ad link if possible.

Here is the pics they are using to explain what links they want. You should be able to right-click the ad and get the info.

ads_vi10.png

ads_vi11.png

when you get a mouse freeze though or a page that is inactive and freezes it may be hard to do - yes??? No???

oldmansmokingpipe":5tlg5w5q said:
when you get a mouse freeze though or a page that is inactive and freezes it may be hard to do - yes???  No???

If it has it, look to the bottom left on the screen. At least on Firefox that is where loading links appear. Note what the link is. It's probably hung up trying to download the page or ad. Your device may not have it.

What OS on that Thinkpad? I am not familiar with them which is why I ask.

Latest post on the Forum of the Forums is that they think they have identified the ad partner responsible. They hope to have this issue fixed soon.

What seems to be happening is, that the scripts that run things identify what kind of device you connect with. If it is one they are looking for, you may see a variety of malware, ads, etc. It simply overrides the fact that we are paid not to have ads. But it can only happen on certain devices. My desktops and laptop, even the Windows 7 & 10 machines, do not see any any of this stuff some of you guys are seeing.

Let me know if it goes away.

And I do not know why they simply cannot write that ad partner out of their scripts and tell them to clean up their act.

Glad it's not just me then, but of course not great for you LG.

I tried to explain this here but wasn't able to articulate it well enough:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t32885-suspicious-activity

It is now completely impossible for me to access the BoB using my Android phone in the classic view as every action, whether it be the back key or trying to open a new window, leads to a window with a new ad or saying my phone is infected with a virus. The phone even goes into a fit of vibration. I could have posted several pics of this activity but thought it may have been deemed somewhat churlish. As stated in the post above, this only happens on the BoB.

Following Wiz's advice I now access the BoB using the mobile setting on my Android phone. This may well be a good short term fix for you too LG, but the snag still remains...

Yep, the McAfee on my phone won't let me open the BoB site. No problems with my Win 10 laptop and Firefox.

Let me know if this has improved for you guys today. Supposedly the ad partner for Forumotion made some changes yesterday.

Keep in mind that you need to be sure that your device has not been infected with some kind of malware.

Apparently some users still cannot get into this site. I do not know the devices affected, but suspect an Android phone or table. Possibly an iPhone or iPad.

I am going to post on the Forum of the Forums again, but I have no info to pass on. I understand that it's frustrating since that crap does interferes with normal operation, and the user has to shut down the device.

Running Windows 7 and 8.1 I cannot get on today. Using Android mobile to post this. Virus warning and having to use task manager to shut down browsers. Google, IE, Firefox all affected.

No joy. :evil:

Is it possible to get some links to this virus warning thing before shutting down with the task manager? Do not risk your systems, but any info I can pass on may help.

I'll see what I can do!

I know one of the warning windows looks like a bad version of an Adobe update prompt. The other insists I need to hit an "OK" button/icon to update my JAVA client to view the BoB page. Neither are tabs, per se'..... There are others though that are. Maybe I should clone my drive before I go any further.

I managed to trigger it on my iPhone and sent them the info. It was for an AddThis, whatever that is. There was a red button on a black screen and nothing worked to get out of it. Had to close the tab manually. I did not want to click on that button.

I just wish they would totally shut off all access to their forum base by their ad partners and see if that solves their problems.

Hey Carlos,

Many thanks for attending to this, it's much appreciated. I'm afraid your recent efforts were unsuccessful for me too. My phone will regularly lock up just as you described. I've taken a bunch of screen shots if you need them. I can't post them right now but can get to it over the weekend for you if need be.

Other info...

I'm running AVG Free and conduct regular scans where it does not pick up anything, ergo I'm confident it's not a virus. This bears out by the fact that all dodgy activity only happens on the BoB. If it was a virus it would be systemic.

Not sure what else to add?

Thanks again old chap.