Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

monbla256

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
8,704
Reaction score
2
Cartaphilus":vuoc5b9b said:
Had a few ads in text form without any graphics a couple of day ago but, only when replying to email notifications. Haven't had a thing since.  ;)
Glad I have no use for cell phones, seems that there getting most the problems.

This for me also. I use a big old desktop PC and 24" monitor and use Chrome for my browser and have NONE of this kind of stuff happen to me !! My Cell Phone is just that a PHONE, no touch screen or interweb stuff!! KISS it !! :twisted: :twisted:
 

Stick

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
3,762
Reaction score
39
Location
Blighty
Carlos - bit of feedback...

Not sure what strings you've pulled or if it's just a coincidence but apart from the usual banner ad at the top which I've grown to live with, I've had no 'aggressive' pop ups on my phone.

Hope this continues, touch wood, and that I haven't just jinxed things.

Either way, thank you.
 

DrT999

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2011
Messages
8,480
Reaction score
165
Location
Piedmont of NC
Stick":frf40r8s said:
Carlos - bit of feedback...

Not sure what strings you've pulled or if it's just a coincidence but apart from the usual banner ad at the top which I've grown to live with, I've had no 'aggressive' pop ups on my phone.

Hope this continues, touch wood, and that I haven't just jinxed things.

Either way, thank you.
Nothing is currently popping up on my computers either. I note I had to sign into both on Monday; did something perhaps get rebooted/updated here?
 

Brewdude

Broken Pipe
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
May 4, 2011
Messages
13,861
Reaction score
411
Location
Arid-zona
Been getting the occasional banner ads. Mostly have to do with individual threads or replies. Not on the main forums. Not sure what to make of this, but so far it hasn't been a problem.



Cheers,

RR
 

DrumsAndBeer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
8
FYI, The redirects have mostly subsided for me. Perhaps the issue has been patched...
 

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
7,084
Reaction score
128
Location
Chestnut, IL
They are individually patching these things. Great waste of time in my opinion. I would have simply turned off the Ad Partner that this crap was coming in on. But I guess that revenue stream of pennies was too important.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
DrumsAndBeer":70f3wup0 said:
FYI, The redirects have mostly subsided for me. Perhaps the issue has been patched...
Yea. Seems like there's been something akin to an improvement ovet the last couple weeks. I hope it will last.
 

DrT999

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2011
Messages
8,480
Reaction score
165
Location
Piedmont of NC
They're back!  Flipped over to a screen claiming I was the 'lucky visitor' for the day, then the next time asking if I wanted to locate a date (nope)

I also noticed both times that as the screen was loading, the screens that flipped had white borders rather than black on either side
 

Stick

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
3,762
Reaction score
39
Location
Blighty
DrT999":2c5y5ntq said:
They're back!  Flipped over to a screen claiming I was the 'lucky visitor' for the day, then the next time asking if I wanted to locate a date (nope)

I also noticed both times that as the screen was loading, the screens that flipped had white borders rather than black on either side
Yup, just opened the BoB to be met by the first pop up window in a few weeks. Surely there's an opportunity here... What's changed to allow them to return after a good period free of them?

 

Stick

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
3,762
Reaction score
39
Location
Blighty
Carlos":v7ygps7n said:
I passed it on.  Be nice if it was possible to write down some links to the re-directs.
Sorry Carlos, I got that grumpy in my effort to remove it I didn't even notice what the pop up was for. Next time...
 

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
7,084
Reaction score
128
Location
Chestnut, IL
I started thinking overnight that perhaps some fix on this issue is what maybe be affecting some users and Youtube vids. I posted about it on the Forum of the Forums. Wait and see where that discussion goes.
 

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
7,084
Reaction score
128
Location
Chestnut, IL
I swear it is like dealing with Technical Support in Guatemala or the Philippines. Yes, they speak English, but they do not really understand it. :x



NSFW, or those who get easily offended.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AmD_8cBqhW0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0
 

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
7,084
Reaction score
128
Location
Chestnut, IL
I receive notifications of new updates for Firefox. Could be that some of you folks do not. Try updating and see if the problem goes away.

Interestingly, I have updated Firefox recently. So maybe there is something to this.

Other users might try updating E or whatever Microsoft is calling that new browser, and Chrome.
 

Brewdude

Broken Pipe
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
May 4, 2011
Messages
13,861
Reaction score
411
Location
Arid-zona
Carlos":ois6vuhz said:
I receive notifications of new updates for Firefox.  Could be that some of you folks do not.  Try updating and see if the problem goes away.  

Interestingly, I have updated Firefox recently.  So maybe there is something to this.  

Other users might try updating E or whatever Microsoft is calling that new browser, and Chrome.
My e-mail keeps telling me to update to a new browser. As everything is working just fine the way it is (with the very few exceptions to an occasional banner ad here) I think I'll leave well enough alone.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!



Cheers,

RR

p.s. that vid was hilarious and so true!
 

puros_bran

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
10,992
Reaction score
2
I'm getting it on FE, so it's definitely a forumotion isssue.
What's interesting to me is I'm not getting it here.
 

Stick

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
3,762
Reaction score
39
Location
Blighty
Worse attacks ever.

The BoB is completely inaccessible using my mobile device. It has been completely hijacked. As soon as the page opens I am bombarded with new pages opening and even get taken to the google app store. There's not even enough time to change the page to the mobile view rather than classic.

:shock:
 

taharris

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 10, 2011
Messages
544
Reaction score
1
Stick":9nhx811e said:
Worse attacks ever.

The BoB is completely inaccessible using my mobile device.  It has been completely hijacked.  As soon as the page opens I am bombarded with new pages opening and even get taken to the google app store.  There's not even enough time to change the page to the mobile view rather than classic.

:shock:  
Same here when using an ipad with Safari browser.

I see BoB for about two seconds and then am redirected multiple times and land on a random site:

bill-hub.mymoviestheater.com
tracking.performancerevenues.com
bill-hub.moviezplace.com
xml.bliss91.com
getonthetop.com
rewardtime.net


You get the idea. I end up on a different site each time I try to land on BoB.

No problems accessing BoB with my Desktop using Chrome.

Todd
 

Timbo

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2015
Messages
1,631
Reaction score
173
Location
Australia
Have to agree Stick, from my iPhone, this site is unusable in classic view. I keep getting redirected to various spam/scam sites. Thank heavens I had a tab open in the mobile version but I prefer to use the classic view if possible. Sorry to be a whiny bugger Carlos, but this is painful. I do 99% of my browsing on my phone.

Thanks

Tim
 

puros_bran

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
10,992
Reaction score
2
I've got it so bad I couldn't even log in again yesterday after my morning/afternoon post. Now I'm on opera in the "mobile" view.
I guess I viewed too much porn or something. Regardless, I hate to say it but Toodles until iOS 10 comes out publically. Then I'll be able to do some stuff, but in the test beta I've been in I'm just kinda Effed.I can't use the forum like this.
 
Top