Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could turn it off and fix it. Complained again to the Forum of the Forums. Seems to fall on deaf ears. They say they are working on it. They keep wanting individual links so they can block each and every one. But that is so stupid! I think their main system is compromised, but they claim that is not possible. They mentioned working with their ad partners on this problem. My suggestion was to turn the ad partners off and see if that solves it. God forbid they turn off their money stream. But they are driving users away.

And, meanwhile back at the ranch. I would have to go to the iPhone to have this problem y'all are having. I never, ever, see any of these problems on any desktop or laptop computer I use. That's Windows XP, 7, 10, LinuxMint 16, 17.3. I use Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Ghostery.

I only have one desk top and I can't sit up straight long enough to use it. :(

"Mobile" version isn't horrible but you don't even have a button for new post. You can't share videos, or have access to emoji, This is like 2006 all over again. Lol.

I've found a way around it.

Go to mobile view.
Sign in.
Open a topic.
Click on a name.
It takes you to "classic view" and I haven't been adwalled yet.

Is there some sort of "Theme" for the mobile and pads? I cannot see one in the Admin panel. And they have released a new mobile theme. But since I cannot see where we have one, I cannot see where we can choose new or old themes for mobile use.

I don't know how you guys surf on a phone. This is a pain in the ass. And I am not seeing any ads today on the iPhone.

Almost no posts in several hours. Must be really bad for some of you guys today. I did get this back from one of the support people.

I have reported the problem, in the meantime you can ask your member to do is to clear their browser cache to get rid of the faulty banner and access the forum normally.
Always good advice, but I am not sure it will help. Can't hurt though.

My post this morning did generate a flurry of posts. Lots more folks having problems and maybe that will prompt them to deal with it.

This problem should be fixed. Please report back.

A Forumotion Ad Partner had a banner running that was letting that crap in. Supposedly, it is fixed for the moment. Other forum owners/admins are reporting back that it is fixed for them. As was pointed out to the support mods, this is a recurring problem. We should not have to wait until they receive plenty of complaints to get it fixed. But that is the system we are working with at the moment.

Stick":qtp7uxqt said:
Thank you for your efforts Carlos.  Very much appreciated Sir.
+1

thought it was a problem with my phone, I see that it is more common

Today when I wanted to go to another forum from the phone, left this message

You have been banned for the following reason: Advertising

I thought that my phone is infected or something by a virus and restore to factory mode, the moment the problem was solved.

from my computer I could verify that indeed elsewhere have banned me to answer with a link to the website of a craftsman knife when I showed a pic them a few that I have, some members of the forum who asked me information for this knives

I do not understand, but it's another thing,

now, in my mobile, with Android, BoB it is going well

I've not had ANY problems with ads or not being able to get to BoB ever! But then i only use a desktop 'puter not having a mobile device,(screens to small for me with my half blind eyes :twisted: ) Sounds like a good reason to just work from your desktop and leave the Mobile for other things !! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for getting that sorted Carlos. Your efforts are much appreciated. BoB is back to normal for me now.

A big cheer

Tim

If anyone is experiencing re-direction to those scam ads today, let me know your device, OS, browser, and if you can, a link to the re-direct spam. Or what it is.

Some people elsewhere reporting some of this.

Yes, getting hit bad again Carlos. It's even getting through the mobile version on my phone (as opposed to the classic which is now rendered useless).

Samsung S5 mini.
Android.
Sorry, didn't take note of site.

It did happen recently for me as well, on my mobile. Coincidentally, I own a Samsung Android (like Stick) but a 4.
Can't remember the site, but I think that often, it was a page opening and warning that my mobile was infested with a legion of viruses; to call this number to get it fixed. The only way I could get rid of the bugger was to close the window altogether.
Incidentally, I have Norton on my mobile. So viruses... my ar$e.

Yeah, some sort of low-ish level malware keeps getting past the phpBB people.

Every third or fourth visit I get a browser hijack attempt. It's why I stopped checking in very often.

It looks like BoB is harboring several opportunistic programs that detect your access method and react accordingly.

It is one of the ad partners for Forumotion. Even though we have no ads when logged in, they detect certain devices and re-direct that device. We have to complain to the management and they have to track down which ad partner it is and then solve it.

They probably are not happy with me. I indicated that one of their ad partners probably needed to boost their hits, and therefore their revenue. So they turn those loose on purpose. :lol:

So you guys get them, tell me the device, your OS, your browser. And if possible, the web address of the re-directs you see and I will pass that on. I had suggested that they turn off their ad partners completely. That did not seem to fly. Guess they are addicted to the revenue stream.

Carlos:

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with redirects...ever. I'm currently running OS X 10.10.5 on a MacPro 6.1, and I always use the SeaMonkey browser. I also use the NoScript plugin, which makes it somewhere between difficult and impossible for dickweeds to run scripts (cross-site redirect scripts, or otherwise) without my approval. So I'm prolly not representative of most users.

I recommend NoScript, although I suspect that many folks don't have the patience to learn how to use it, and to teach it what to do. That takes some time, which isn't compatible with instant gratification.

Anyhow, it sure saves me a bunch of headaches. It has been worth a little self-education to not have to deal with the chaos that was happening before I started using it.

newjok10.png