Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accessing the forum yesterday from my university computer (and I assure you, this is the most 'questionable' site I access there, although probably not the most vulnerable), the browser was shut down and a malware warning overlaid a white page with what looked like multiple lines of computer script.

I haven't been on as much lately, mostly due to the fact that I usually browse and post on BOB during the day and I refuse to expose my Windows work system to the constant web page redirects I experience and whatever potential threats the pages that pop up might pose. I have no problems with my phone running iOS, but my iMac running OSX and my work W7 system are both affected. Needless to say, grinding out posts with an iPhone sucks, hence my decline in participation. Browsers, it doesn't seem to matter. Chrome, Firefox, IE, or Safari, although Safari seems to fair a bit better.

More info passed on. I could use some links, if possible, to those threat pages. I know that you cannot always see them and your systems lock up. I complained to them again this morning about it.

Carlos":iihe39gj said:
More info passed on.  I could use some links, if possible, to those threat pages.  I know that you cannot always see them and your systems lock up.  I complained to them again this morning about it.
When this happens (at least to me), it's when the ad should appear, but instead of the ad popping up, it rolls over to the hit.

I had the same issue yesterday, via my Android phone, no issues today.

riff raff":rvu6ws3e said:
It seems to come in waves -- some days in a row, nothing, other days about 3 of 10 tries and bang!

DrT999":2g45wpqx said:
riff raff":2g45wpqx said:
It seems to come in waves -- some days in a row, nothing, other days about 3 of 10 tries and bang!
I concur Doc.

Carlos":3yhqsdtw said:
More info passed on.  I could use some links, if possible, to those threat pages.  I know that you cannot always see them and your systems lock up.  I complained to them again this morning about it.
Carlos,

Many thanks again for your endeavours.

As requested, please see the following sample:

I am getting DOZENS of pop up video ads from car dealers and Toyota. Never, ever had these on this or any other site. My Malbytes is going batshit with "Malicious website blocked" messages....... :scratch:

Hey! What are you guys seeing about this issue? DrT999 sent me a photobucket link of a possible unsafe surfing link concerning our board. Are you guys just staying away for days, or what?

Yes, I am still complaining to the Forum of the Forums. I got a couple links about Google Chrome, for all the good that would do me. I understand that they are still working on the problem.

Forumotion provides the software and servers we use. At least that is how I understand it. So it would be reasonable to assume that they need to fix it.

I haven't been having any issues like the other guys, or how it used to be before I had Ablock Plus installed.

However, I've had the very occasional ads on the top of some forums. And these are for all intents and purposes links and not the full blown ads. In fact they seem to be attempts at links based on my very non-savvy understanding. Incomplete is how I would describe them, and it must be Adblock Plus blocking them as much as they can.

That said I haven't had any of them for at least a week or more. And even then before that it was only sporadic, and seemed to only infect the replys I wanted to make in certain forums.

Dunno if this helps but there it is!

Cheers,

RR

Oddly, I am still getting that warning when trying to enter 'The Roundtable' portion of the board, but not when I access threads within it via mail link (like this)

Had a few ads in text form without any graphics a couple of day ago but, only when replying to email notifications. Haven't had a thing since. ;)
Glad I have no use for cell phones, seems that there getting most the problems.

DrT999":cddcws37 said:
Oddly, I am still getting that warning when trying to enter 'The Roundtable' portion of the board, but not when I access threads within it via mail link (like this)
The people at Forumotion recommended following the instructions in these two links to cure this problem. This if for when your browser detects and unsafe site. I pointed out to them that these sites seem to be talking about Google Chrome. But they say it applies to all browsers. Copied one of the responses below.

http://help.forumotion.com/t128897-how-to-clean-up-your-forum-after-a-google-chrome-malware-alert

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/privacy/whitepaper.html#malware

Hello,

This issue is down to the user using Microsoft Smartscreen. Sometimes with this feature, it falsely blocks forumotion sites. Tell your admin and/or user to follow that the steps in the tutorial Nemo linked you to. This issue has happened before and in several cases following the steps did resolve the issue. After following all the steps, have the user clear their browser cache and cookies and see if it helps. Wink

-Brandon

Carlos":i43e7wr8 said:
DrT999":i43e7wr8 said:
The people at Forumotion recommended following the instructions in these two links to cure this problem. This if for when your browser detects and unsafe site.  I pointed out to them that these sites seem to be talking about Google Chrome.  But they say it applies to all browsers.  Copied one of the responses below.

http://help.forumotion.com/t128897-how-to-clean-up-your-forum-after-a-google-chrome-malware-alert

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/privacy/whitepaper.html#malware

Hello,

This issue is down to the user using Microsoft Smartscreen. Sometimes with this feature, it falsely blocks forumotion sites. Tell your admin and/or user to follow that the steps in the tutorial Nemo linked you to. This issue has happened before and in several cases following the steps did resolve the issue. After following all the steps, have the user clear their browser cache and cookies and see if it helps. Wink

-Brandon
I'll certainly take a good look at those links. I probably should have mentioned that I'm running Edge. When the adblock for it gets out of beta, I'll certainly install it