Punch Gran Puro Libertad

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Wow!! What a great smoke 8)

I used to really be into fine cigars but my interest waned a few years ago and I just haven't smoked many in the last couple of years. Sometimes a couple months will go by between cigars, and I usually just walk into a cigar joint and buy a Fuente or a Padron because they're very reliable smokes for me. I haven't even been keeping cigars in my little humidor, but simply walking in somewhere and buying singles. I do remember back in the late 90's getting into Punch cigars - especially the Grand Cru - but I guess I sort of let my exploration and enjoyment get away from me.

I've been smoking a few sticks lately, mostly Macanudos and Fuentes (including some Hemingways, which I still love), but today I walked into the little smoke shop here in town that I haven't visited in years and sort of just looked around. When I came across the row of Punch cigars I had a bit of a flashback and in looking over the selection decided on the Grand Puro Libertad. What a fantastic smoke these are!

This 5X52 Honduran comes in a cedar lined metal tube and the cedar note is very present throughout the smoke, a smoke very rich and full of earthy spice. These sticks manage to be very full flavored yet not too heavy and the tobaccos spice is quite tempered, never overpowering. These are simply fantastic! :D

One of the things I've been thinking about doing is buying a 100 count humidor (and using the new beads for humidification) and slowly stocking it with some really good smokes, as I'll likely only enjoy them occasionally, maybe once a week or so. These cigars will definitely be in that box 8)

Punch was one of my first smokes. Gran cru is a great staple. Along the Fuente line the ZSungrown is always a consistent ligh for me...if you have not tried on eyet, PM me and I 'll send you a sampler.

Padron Anniversario is my top 5 including the 1926(?) line.

Glad to see you enjoying the Punch line, PD. I like the Rare Corojo line the best of all the Punches. Just something about that fits my taste profile. I haven't had to many opportunities for trying the other lines. But, now you peaked my interest and will have to get some.

I agree with Davey. If you like the Hemingway line of Fuente, you would probabely like the Sungrown. And for about half as much as a Hemingway!

If you want something with a bit more depth and a bit more body... try the Don Carlos. Hard to find and with a little age they are worth the little extra money. I save the Don Carlos' for special occassions.

Lucky