Quality Control

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtarheel

Reaction score
I want to pose a question to you: Do we (as consumers) expect that the online retailers of pipes should conduct some kind of quality control on the pipes that they put up for sale or should we conduct the quality control on the pipe after it is purchased and is sent to us? I recently had this problem arise with a pipe that I bought. Seems like the stem had been drilled twice and intersected each other in the middle of the stem. It would not pass a pipe cleaner but it still would smoke. I called the retailer about this and they said they only looked at the outside of the pipe. My reply was that as much time as it takes to snap the perfect picture of the pipe to lure us to buy it the least they can do is to check to see if the pipe will pass a pipe cleaner. Am I wrong about this? What are your thoughts?

mgtarheel":5m40xqzl said:
I want to pose a question to you:  Do we (as consumers) expect that the online retailers of pipes should conduct some kind of quality control on the pipes that they put up for sale or should we conduct the quality control on the pipe after it is purchased and is sent to us?  I recently had this problem arise with a pipe that I bought.  Seems like the stem had been drilled twice and intersected each other in the middle of the stem.  It would not pass a pipe cleaner but it still would smoke.  I called the retailer about this and they said they only looked at the outside of the pipe.  My reply was that as much time as it takes to snap the perfect picture of the pipe to lure us to buy it the least they can do is to check to see if the pipe will pass a pipe cleaner.  Am I wrong about this?  What are your thoughts?
You've made some good points but I'm afraid they don't apply to the 21st century manner of doing business by doing as little as possible and getting the maximum return in dollars. Kinda like the folks we have put up in Washington :twisted: :twisted: Onward thru thru Fog :twisted: :twisted:

I'd send it back. As I don't know the make I can't really comment on anything else. Good rule of thumb is to see if it will pass a cleaner when it arrives. If it doesn't send it back.

Screw that. Send it back. Maybe they'll get the message and forward it to the maker.

I would send it back as well. Passing a pipe cleaner is a must, & yes I would hope that any re-seller would be inspecting their wares up front.

Sadly A LOT of Etailers or retailers don't take the time to thoroughly inspect there pipes new or estate that they sell.
Should they? YES! But, don't hold your breath. And sadly you'll just have to send it back to them if you can't live with it (I couldn't and would send it back). The really sorry thing is they'll probably just shove it back on the shelf for sale again till they get someone that won't complain about it. Hopefully they'll not buy anymore pipes from such a dealer but, people do the strangest things sometimes, so we'll never know.
I'd go as far as giving them the riot act including about wasting my time, But, then again that's me and we know there's not many of us. ;)

mgtarheel":r3am37hk said:
I want to pose a question to you:  Do we (as consumers) expect that the online retailers of pipes should conduct some kind of quality control on the pipes that they put up for sale or should we conduct the quality control on the pipe after it is purchased and is sent to us?
Maybe, maybe not. The truth is, many consumers have much higher standards to which they hold a pipe than others, so "quality control" is subjective here. There may be many pipes that customer A would be happy to own that wouldn't be good enough for customer B.

Even the pipe cleaner thing...I know a few guys who could care less if it passes a cleaner as long as it smokes well. I, myself, am not overly concerned if a pipe won't pass a cleaner from bit to bowl if it's a bent stem - if it smokes dry and doesn't need a lot of maintenance during the smoke, it's not the end of the world to me.

This isn't to say you shouldn't worry about it - your opinion is as valid as mine...it's just that pipe guys range from VERY particular to not particular at all. So the notion of quality control SOUNDS sensible, but in the end, what's quality?

In my mind, if the seller allows you to inspect the pipe upon receipt, let's you try running a cleaner through, take what ever measurements you want, and return it unsmoked/unaltered if you're not happy, that's fair enough.

Just my $.02.

idbowman":3bnkhd3l said:
mgtarheel":3bnkhd3l said:
I want to pose a question to you:  Do we (as consumers) expect that the online retailers of pipes should conduct some kind of quality control on the pipes that they put up for sale or should we conduct the quality control on the pipe after it is purchased and is sent to us?
 So the notion of quality control SOUNDS sensible, but in the end, what's quality?  

the book " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" should be read when the subject of quality is involved. That's some intense analysis on quality.

mgtarheel":xwonljbv said:
I want to pose a question to you:  Do we (as consumers) expect that the online retailers of pipes should conduct some kind of quality control on the pipes that they put up for sale or should we conduct the quality control on the pipe after it is purchased and is sent to us?  I recently had this problem arise with a pipe that I bought.  Seems like the stem had been drilled twice and intersected each other in the middle of the stem.  It would not pass a pipe cleaner but it still would smoke.  I called the retailer about this and they said they only looked at the outside of the pipe.  My reply was that as much time as it takes to snap the perfect picture of the pipe to lure us to buy it the least they can do is to check to see if the pipe will pass a pipe cleaner.  Am I wrong about this?  What are your thoughts?

Sounds as though you've already made up your mind on this 'heel. Go with your gut and do what your instinct tells you. No sense accepting something that you'll always have doubts about.

idbowman":xwonljbv said:
Even the pipe cleaner thing...I know a few guys who could care less if it passes a cleaner as long as it smokes well. I, myself, am not overly concerned if a pipe won't pass a cleaner from bit to bowl if it's a bent stem - if it smokes dry and doesn't need a lot of maintenance during the smoke, it's not the end of the world to me.
I concur, since a few of my bent pipe don't take a cleaner easily or at all and yet smoke just fine. So there's that.

I reckon if it appears that there has been substandard QC on the drilling as you've indicated returning it is probably the best action. My 2c FWIW.

Cheers,

RR

In today's electronic marketplace, consumers have to inspect what they buy, and send it back pronto when dissatisfied. I once bought a Sav by phone and was told it did not pass a pipe cleaner. But I was smitten and bought it anyway. My pipe arrived promptly and the grain and craftsmanship was beeyooteeful. I tried a cleaner, and it stopped in mid shank. Seemed kinda odd, so I removed the mouthpiece and -- lo!! -- there was the famous Sav balsa filter. With the filter removed, the cleaner goes through, no problem.

That is the problem with online retailers, you don't get the chance to look the employee in the eye and look over the pipe.

I have only ever brought two pipes from online retailers, both my experiences were in fact very good, I even got a free tobacco sample with my pipe!

If I were you and I was dissatisfied. I would send the pipe back for a refund or another pipe, instructing the employee at the retailer to look over it with a fine eye before sending it.

Dave1066":apfpkhpx said:
That is the problem with online retailers, you don't get the chance to look the employee in the eye and look over the pipe.

If I were you and I was dissatisfied. I would send the pipe back for a refund or another pipe, instructing the employee at the retailer to look over it with a fine eye before sending it.
I'm totally with Dave on that one.