Query: pits inside bowl?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Hey, gang.

I have a question. I just got an estate Bewlay olde 49. It seems great, but I have notcied on the inside as I was GENTLY reaming the bowl, and cleaning some cake, I noticed that some pits or very small holes were becoming visible, about he size of a large pinhead. Is this the start of burnout? I cannot truly tell if it is a very thin layer of cake that is left that is actually crumbling off or the wood itself?

Any suggestions or is this not to worry about evewn if the wood IS worn thin in small pits like this?

davey

It depends. And whether or not it's important . . . depends.

If you're down to bare wood, they're pits. Seeing as they caked-over last time, with some care, they should this time also.

If you're not, they're probably just irregularities in the caking. Unless the caking is really excessive, or what remains behind from something noxious, I'd just smoke it -- suppressing the impulse to play with stuff that doesn't need played with.

Merry Christmas

:face:

"... suppressing the impulse to play with stuff that doesn't need played with."

I've been trying to suppress that impulse for years, Yak. Any suggestions?

Oh, I get it... the cake thing..... heh, heh, never mind.

Good judgement is the fruit of experience.

Experience is the aggregate of vivid impressions left in memory over time by the consequences of bad judgement.

Wow. Talk about discipline. Yeah I guess I'll try to leave well enough alone. I did not think that "pits" were created like that...like small tooth decay. It's obessive to look at.

I really am afraid to keep digging..so I suppose I wil light up my first bowl tonight and be careful and patient! thanks guys.

Davey

Wow. Talk about discipline. Yeah I guess I'll try to leave well enough alone. I did not think that "pits" were created like that...like small tooth decay. It's obessive to look at.

I really am afraid to keep digging..so I suppose I wil light up my first bowl tonight and be careful and patient! thanks guys.

Davey

Well, update:

The pipe does seem to smoke hotter, and does not appear to care for VA's so much..will have to dry out a bit more.

BUT, I lit up some Dunhill Nightcap and the pipe seemed to sing. Few relights and much cooler. Not bad

Well, update:

The pipe does seem to smoke hotter, and does not appear to care for VA's so much..will have to dry out a bit more.

BUT, I lit up some Dunhill Nightcap and the pipe seemed to sing. Few relights and much cooler. Not bad

Pipes are female, Davey.

They like particular tobaccos for no apparent reason, and don't get along with other tobaccos for no apparent reason.

Keep 'em happy and they'll keep you happy.

Yak":pm05ae2f said:
Good judgement is the fruit of experience.

Experience is the aggregate of vivid impressions left in memory over time by the consequences of bad judgement.

I REALLY like that, gonna write that one down 8)

Yo, Daddy --

Speaking of writing stuff down, where's the link to your blog at ? I was going to check to see if you'd posted anything new in it (you're only overdue by, say, three months . . .) :D

I'm overdue by like 6 months :pale: I haven't written a thing. Wonder if it's still there?

One of my 'things to do' in the coming weeks.