Question about GL Pease tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
I found that I really love the flavors of Virginia and burley mixes. The earthy aromas and flavor of oats are fabulous. I'd love to try some GL Pease and wonder which of his blends would have these flavors. Oh, and where the heck can I buy it o line? My local tobacconists don't carry any.

Martin

MartinH":rwny2dqq said:
I found that I really love the flavors of Virginia and burley mixes. The earthy aromas and flavor of oats are fabulous. I'd love to try some GL Pease and wonder which of his blends would have these flavors. Oh, and where the heck can I buy it o line? My local tobacconists don't carry any.

Martin
Hey Martin! I buy almost all my tobacco from e-tailers. Its a lot more economical and they tend to be better stocked than most local tobacco shops. When I´m back in the US I´ll buy from shops in my area mostly to keep the support up...

Some places you might try:

http://www.cupojoes.com/
http://www.smokingpipes.com/

I´ve had positive experiences with these two so I can reccomend them.

Also if you want to know more abpout GLP stuff, check out his website.

http://www.glpease.com/

Thanks. I looked at his site last night and Barbara Coast looked like it would fit the bill. I tried a tobacco review site but they don't have reviews on GL Pease's stuff. I guess I'd just like to know from someone who smoked it how they like. My local tobacconist really dissed his blends but I've read so much good stuff about it here that I'd really like to try one I might like.

I may just take the plunge and buy em.

MartinH":za1vir8v said:
Thanks. I looked at his site last night and Barbara Coast looked like it would fit the bill. I tried a tobacco review site but they don't have reviews on GL Pease's stuff. I guess I'd just like to know from someone who smoked it how they like. My local tobacconist really dissed his blends but I've read so much good stuff about it here that I'd really like to try one I might like.

I may just take the plunge and buy em.
Try:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand_detail.cfm?ALPHA=G&BID=41

Barbary Coast is lovely stuff for the burley lover. Be careful not to pack it too tightly, and I think you'll be a happy camper.

Thanks Doc and MisterE. I thought I looked at that review site and could have sworn that GL Pease's stuff wasn't on there. I'm going to buy a couple of tins of the burley blend and I think I'd like to try som VaPers as well.

Doc - any suggestion on a Pease VaPer?

Marti

Martin, many other BoBs are much more expert on VaPers than I am. With a GLP blend, though, I would say, if it sounds good, try it--preferably at least two tins, so you can try fresh and then put one down cellar.

Thanks for the advice, I'm trolling a couple of websites right now and will purchase a few of GL Pease's blends. I was very hesitant after my tobacconist said that the Pease stuff wasn't good, but I'm going to try it and see what I think. After seeing so many favorable reviews and comments here, I'm thinking that the man at the Tinderbox just wanted me to buy his blends. :)

Now I can't wait to pick out a few baccy's and try them out.

Thanks,

Martin

One of my favorites is Cumberland, which is a VA/Kentucky blend with perique. Kentucky is similar to burley, if not a particular strain or off-shoot of burley (can't remember).

Fillmore is a great VA/Per, which actually has a almost undetectable level of latakia in it. Don't let that scare you off though.

Haddo's Delight is tasty a burley/va/perique/cavendish blend with what tastes like a liquor topping (rum, brandy, something like that).

Jack - that's funny. I was just looking and I selected a tin of Haddo's Delight and Barbary's Coast!!!!!!! I do want to try a Latakia blend, but I'm a little unsure about that right now.

As a nonsequitor: It's snowing outside today, and I'd love nothing more than go for a walk and enjoy a pipe, but I'm taking care of my little boy, so no dice there! :)

Martin

Barbary Coast is one of my favorites. It takes a bit of practice to get it smoking right but it's flavor is amazing. Haddo's is great as well.

The guy that said Greg's blends aren't very good is either an idiot or a liar. Even if he doesn't like them personally, Pease has such a huge following it would be a very silly thing to say.

Jack Straw":zx5d3z8g said:
Fillmore is a great VA/Per, which actually has a almost undetectable level of latakia in it. Don't let that scare you off though.
What he said

MartinH said:
Thanks Doc and MisterE. I thought I looked at that review site and could have sworn that GL Pease's stuff wasn't on there.
Pease isn't listed under "P" at tobacco reviews ,,,instead it's under "G" for G.L. Pease,,,,,catches me everytime I head there to read reviews,,,,,

If your baccy guy is dissing Pease tobaccos he's losing an opportunity to make a lot of money and showing his ignorance.

+1 on Barbary Coast

Yeah I just placed an order for Barbary Coast and Haddo's Delight. Should have bought more as it cost me $8 for shipping. :(

Martin

Haddo's Delight: Super Extra Excellent! A very different, fairly strong, very popular blend. Tasty with a good nic hit, to be certain.

Barbary Coast: never tried it, but of course, it's on "the list."

Fillmore: an excellent va/per, with just a hint of latakia, as Jack Straw noted. I find this blend more and more sublime the more that I smoke it. Masterfully blended!

GL Pease blends are so popular (not to mention Pease himself is considered by many to be a genius blender!) that it seems surprising that any tobacconist would pan him outright. Odd, to say the least.

Enjoy the journey; let us know what you think!

Well if you look at shipping it's not so bad,,,,figure a couple bucks more per tin at the B &M plus gas to drive there and get it,,,,and now you can enjoy the anticipation of arrival,,,, :D

mark":780oeigb said:
Well if you look at shipping it's not so bad,,,,figure a couple bucks more per tin at the B &M plus gas to drive there and get it,,,,and now you can enjoy the anticipation of arrival,,,, :D
:bounce: Yeah, now I can't wait for UPS!

MartinH":38c4uu1r said:
If it's who I think it is, one of their now ex-employees used to smoke my stuff almost exclusively, which really tweaked the boss. ;)

As far as I can tell, assuming it's who I'm thinking it is, and it probably is, since there aren't that many tobacconists in NC who have exhibited this sort of attitude, it's something personal against the manufacturer, not me, and not the blends. I have never been able to figure that out.

The funny thing is that it's HIS loss. The customers inevitably contact me, and I tell them where they can get what they're looking for, and they're happy campers. Turning away sales in this economic climate seems a little short-sighted to me; it's difficult enough to keep a retail shop open, these days.

I do like Barbary Coast. I'm a pretty new smoker, I just got a tin of it, and it tastes unlike anything I've had before. It's a little strong, but it is good!