Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsooth

Reaction score
Nicotine and I do not get along at all. A few puffs of tobacco containing nicotine sends me into a death spiral. Thus, I am an aromatic lover (RLP-6, 1-Q, etc,).

That being said, I'd love to venture into some English blends that are nicotine-shy, if they exist.

How about Frog Morton Cellar or C&D Sweet English or McClelland 5110? How are they on nicotine?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Well, I would suggest Straus Tobacconist's "Union Terminal", it's a real smooth English blend almost aromatic to me.
There in Ohio I believe and have a website but, you'll have to call them to order.

Here's some reviews of it :Union Terminal

Cartaphilus":n7mrfits said:
Well, I would suggest Straus Tobacconist's "Union Terminal", it's a real smooth English blend almost aromatic to me.
There in Ohio I believe and have a website but, you'll have to call them to order.

Here's some reviews of it :Union Terminal
Thanks for the tip, I'll follow up on that.

IMHO, most English blends are somewhat low in the nic-dept. With the exception of a few like Nightcap, Billy Budd, and others. I'm also one of those who doesn't get along well with Lady Nic!

As always, YMMV as we all have different tolerances.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":i6t4rb41 said:
IMHO, most English blends are somewhat low in the nic-dept. With the exception of a few like Nightcap, Billy Budd, and others. I'm also one of those who doesn't get along well with Lady Nic!
Interesting! I've somehow developed the belief that most popular English blends are riddled with nicotine. Hmmm...

Thanks for the clarification!

forsooth":zhqmxgb3 said:
Brewdude":zhqmxgb3 said:
Interesting!  I've somehow developed the belief that most popular English blends are riddled with nicotine.  Hmmm...

Thanks for the clarification!
Like BD said, out tolerances are all different and what one might feel is weak and another may feel as strong.
Dunhill 965 to me is a full flavored English blend with a bit of a kick yet not much nicotine at all while what I mentioned to you is very mild to me and no nicotine that I can discern but, good just the same. ;)

Cartaphilus":5so96bb5 said:
Dunhill 965 to me is a full flavored English blend with a bit of a kick yet not much nicotine at all while what I mentioned to you is very mild to me and no nicotine that I can discern but, good just the same. ;)
What gives Dunhill 965 the kick if it is not nicotine?  I thought "kick" and "nicotine power" were essentially the same.

Thanks.

forsooth":xus7j3cx said:
...What gives Dunhill 965 the kick if it is not nicotine?  I thought "kick" and "nicotine power" were essentially the same.
I think that Cart in this context was alluding to richness and density of smoke, if I may put words into his mouth. If I remember correctly, the original Frogmorton is quite light in nicotine also, one of the reasons it's not a particular favorite with latakia/oriental junkies. I like it a lot but just haven't had it in a while, even though my cache is full of it. Latakia, by the way, is quite mild, belying its heavy taste and aroma.

forsooth":h53knv49 said:
Nicotine and I do not get along at all.  A few puffs of tobacco containing nicotine sends me into a death spiral. ....
How do you smoke any tobacco ? ALL tobacco contains nicotene. It's a primary ingredient produced by the leaf !! :twisted: :twisted:

So here's what I did. I pulled up the Tobacco Reviews site and opened their search function. Then I clicked on adding more search fields...selected mild and very mild for strength and picked Latakia for the one component to search for in terms of tobaccos. Hey, it's a start. 

21 blends came up. Anyway, play with the search engine a bit on your own & see if you can track down something.

It lists Maker - Blend - Rating - Mean Score - Blend Type - Strength

BBB - Scottish Mixture3
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.3ScottishVery Mild
Burlington on Whyte Tobacconist - Donnybrook1
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
 3.0EnglishVery Mild
Castello - Old Antiquari2
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0EnglishVery Mild
Cornell & Diehl - Latakia6
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
 4.0OtherVery Mild
E. A. Carey - Castle Blend2
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
 3.5EnglishVery Mild
H. Simmons - Navy Mixture1
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0Very Mild
James Barber - James's Blend1
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0AromaticVery Mild
James Barber - Special Brew1
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
 3.0OtherVery Mild
Kohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG - Ser Jacopo English Mixture1
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0OtherVery Mild
McClelland - Ringlow - Syrian Reserve (Club Blends)9
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
 2.8AmericanVery Mild
Middle Earth Tobacco - Fangorn Forest1
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
 4.0EnglishExtremely Mild
Mike & Russ: The Mind Meld - Sweet English3
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.3EnglishVery Mild
Peter Weinig - Nr. 33 (World of Taste)1
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
 4.0EnglishVery Mild
Pfeifen Huber - English No 151
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0Very Mild
PipesWorld - Old Spook English1
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0Very Mild
Sutliff Tobacco Company - Burma Road2
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
 3.0AromaticVery Mild
Sutliff Tobacco Company - H. Gray RCAF2
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
 2.5AromaticVery Mild
The Smoke Shop - Seminar1
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
 4.0Very Mild
Torben Dansk - No.4 English Mixture4
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
 3.0Very Mild
Uhle's - Non Pareil1
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
star-empty.png
 2.0EnglishVery Mild
Vauen - No. 22 English Blend & Vanilla1
star2.png
star2.png
star2.png
star-empty.png
 3.0EnglishVery Mild

I think you should be fairly safe in teh world of Englishes as long as you're looking for blends that are primarily Latakia and Virginia.

As far as I can tell, the nicotine punch tends to come from blends that incorporate perique, burley, and cigar leaf.

But that's coming from me - a guy who's nicotine tolerance runs awfully high these days, so it might not mean a whole lot.

Blackhorse":ickdw38f said:
So here's what I did. I pulled up the Tobacco Reviews site and opened their search function. Then I clicked on adding more search fields...selected mild and very mild for strength and picked Latakia for the one component to search for in terms of tobaccos. Hey, it's a start. 

21 blends came up. Anyway, play with the search engine a bit on your own & see if you can track down something...
Thanks for your time and work!!! I will follow up with the search technique and the list you gathered! AAMOF, I took the idea and remembered the "tobacco locator" button at smokingpipes.com and was able to come up with some pretty good ideas also.

(BTW, per your pen and ink -- Lately, I've been using my Platinum Crystal Cool (I think it is called) with J.Herbin's Vert Empire.)

idbowman":lnv12vtu said:
I think you should be fairly safe in teh world of Englishes as long as you're looking for blends that are primarily Latakia and Virginia.

As far as I can tell, the nicotine punch tends to come from blends that incorporate perique, burley, and cigar leaf.
Well, thanks for that! That is a good general guide. One of my erroneous assumptions was that Latakia contained lots of nicotine.

I know that nicotine is not a harmful substance, just a stimulant like caffeine, and is probably actually beneficial in the same way, so I envy pipe smokers who are nicotine-tolerant. I still remember the day I tried Haunted Bookshop -- it put me in bed for a good half-hour.

Blackhorse":ux5d2v7y said:
forsooth - have you tried any of the J Herbin 1670 Anniversary inks? With the gold sheen? Not the easiest to work with, but a dip pen can really make them shine. I have the Rouge and Emerald and would love to get the newest color...Caroube.
I love the 1670 Anniversary series.  Don't have any yet (I have about 40 bottles of ink, plus my mixings).  But I was planning on treating myself this Christmas to some, nonetheless.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Caroube - seems to be a beautiful brownish, reddish, dark leatherish color.  I was going to start with the Stormy Grey, but may very well change my mind...

Several of the reviews I've read credit the new brown with showing more of the gold fleck. But the Emerald is just crazy. 

I use it in a couple of my cheap but delightful Pilot pens with a stub nib and it's way too much fun. But generally I use the Iroshizuku and various Noodlers ink in my better pens...the Platinum, Lamy 2K & Namiki Falcon.